Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: CR-01 and Ackerman angle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #1

Default CR-01 and Ackerman angle

I was re-attaching my stock drive shafts yesterday (metal ones ordered), and as I had the car upside down and I noticed that the Ackerman angle seemed to be negative instead of positive as it should be.

Turning it back around to it's wheels, I saw that rear wheels have the correct angle with inner wheel turning more than the outer wheel, and the front wheels have less turn on inside wheel than the outside wheel.

To me, the only real difference I can find between front and rear is that the rear axle has the steering rod that links the 2 wheels together behind the axle, and in front it's working in front of the axle.

Has anyone done any mods to the steering to achieve a working Ackerman angle on the CR-01, or do I just have something wrong with my setup?

Cheers.
meshwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. That's the way it is when the drag link is in the front of your axle. i am not sure it would make any difference to the crawler's handling if you had correct Ackerman. I have seen a number of people changed the drag link at the rear of the front axle, but I am not sure it is needed.
krapulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapulax View Post
Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. That's the way it is when the drag link is in the front of your axle. i am not sure it would make any difference to the crawler's handling if you had correct Ackerman. I have seen a number of people changed the drag link at the rear of the front axle, but I am not sure it is needed.

Thanks!

I'll see if I can swap to behind the axle placement relatively easily just to try and see if I notice any performance gain.
meshwolf is offline   Reply With Quote