Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: need help with CR-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default need help with CR-01

I jsut picked up a used cr-01 that a want to start getting my kid into crawling with.

The problem is the guy I got it from completely gutted the suspension there are only 4 shocks and no spring setup.
I wanna get it close to stock, I realize its probly not the best set up in the world...but its probly the cheapest ATM, and besides my berg is where the muscle is at! I am hoping this will teach me to be a lil more patient on the rocks...anyways I see these c-link mount plastics trees on ebay...is this what I need to bring it back? of course I would need the springs as well.

much appreciated for any info..I am really excited on my first scaler as well.....already eyballing a winch!!
slimeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimeball View Post
I jsut picked up a used cr-01 that a want to start getting my kid into crawling with.

The problem is the guy I got it from completely gutted the suspension there are only 4 shocks and no spring setup.
I wanna get it close to stock, I realize its probly not the best set up in the world...but its probly the cheapest ATM, and besides my berg is where the muscle is at! I am hoping this will teach me to be a lil more patient on the rocks...anyways I see these c-link mount plastics trees on ebay...is this what I need to bring it back? of course I would need the springs as well.

much appreciated for any info..I am really excited on my first scaler as well.....already eyballing a winch!!
Alot of guys get rid of the canti's and runs shocks and springs,the canti's can be used but arent really scale and need some minor tweaking to take all the free play out, I would just get some barrel springs and use what ever shocks you have laying around, the stock ones leak even brand new.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

do you have the instructions? if not, first thing to do would be to download them from tamiyausa.com. Then you can see what parts trees you might need to take it back to stock.

Are there no springs at all - not even inside the shocks?
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

no there are springs inside the shocks..they are 60/40 droop...the problem is that the shocks are just too plain short to be of any use. There is barely in articulation...even for a scaler:?

The only shocks I have extra are traxxas slash shocks, so the front set is shorter than the back set. I am trying to see if I can figure out how to even them up by playing with the various mounting positions. Right now its stink bugging with tha tail end slightly higher in the air. I am tired...so I will tinker more tommorrow.

what shock lengths do you recommend? I will have to just keep my eyes peeled for a cheap used set.

man, I really didnt wanna put any money in this thing...but it needs a lil work to get it were it needs to be.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Any 4" shock will work just fine on the CR....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Go with the stock shocks. They are not that bad and mine didn't leak, so I am not sure it's a manufacturing problem or just people not taking the time to put them together properly.

If your stock shocks don't have any travel, check inside to make sure there's no spacer in there that you need to take out to restore the travel.

If you really want it to be as stock as possible, buying the plastic trees off ebay is the cheapest way to go. Download the manual as suggested above and figure out what you need.

If you don't have any springs and the cantilever system is gone, you might need the swaybars as well. Perhaps calling the seller and asking if they still have the parts will cut your expense some, even if you need to offer some money to motivate the seller to move their arse for you.
krapulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

cool, cool...thanks guys.

I was able to rustle up the parts I needed in the for sale section....

I know alotta people ditch the system, but it looks interesting to me and I wanna see it work first hand before I start thinking about something different suspension wise..

This rig wil be mostly for my son, so it doesnt need to be too fancy.

Now I gotta get a jeep body and the winch....The guy gave me pretty cool Proline Recon body when I got it, but its just not my style.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:35 AM   #8

i say ditch the canti set up and run barrel springs and plain shocks, looks more to scale
couchee is offline   Reply With Quote