Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Painting lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 08:49 AM   #1

Default Painting lines

Some of you guys have done a perfect job on painting the black door/hood lines around Fj40 body.

I have all my paints, a small brush, how do you guys do it? I thought a small detail brush would be best, but now im thinking a sharpie or some pen and a straight edge. I thought you could just follow the groove, but from the inside its actually a bump.

Of course I want to do a perfect job, so any hint would help.

I have 2 cans of tamiya PS paint (white and ------), and testors enamel in those small jars in silver and black.

I think I picked up a 3-0 sable brush.
Apie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

try something like a fine tip paint pen that can just ride in the line formed on the body
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Get a fine tip permanent marker and do it on the outside of the body. There are also body detailing pens sold but they are just a fine tip marker.
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Painting lines

Blue Painter's Masking Tape is my best friend when it comes down to the finishing touches. After just use a razor and trim to fit.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I am about to paint my Fj40 body too...and wanna do the lines inside this time. Used to I put the lines on the outside but then a lot of problems arise. When washing the body to rid of dirt it can remove the lines...which means spending more time again to do the panel lining. Also I put a coat of car wax(meguiars NXT 2.0) on the body and this would be better if the black lines are on the inside.
Its easier to do the lines on the outside since they are indented, but on the inside its harder since its a raised part. So you have to be very careful not to get on the side and also regulate the line thickness.
Theres a pen they sell called top flite panel line pen :
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXHX45&P=8
I use it and it harder to remove than sharpie.
Also I just bought a Faber Castell Multimark 1525 Permanent Pen that comes with a green eraser in the back that you can erase the mark if you made a mistake. Its pretty good and dries fast. I use it for marking burned cds and dvds but I am gonna try this for my Fj40...but of course one should test it on a piece of scrap lexan first...I am gonna hand paint it with craft acrylic paint.
Sasquatchbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Actually, if you want to paint the lines form inside it is better to have them raised (inside). I use masking tape, good quality from hardware stores. No problems. Same around windows when I paint the window seals. Just make sure you run your fingernail along the tape to press it down firmly. Using two strips of masking tape you can actually have the lines as narrow as possible. Just make sure you heat up the can very well before painting and just go in very thin coats to get a uniform line. Tamiya black is sometimes very runny.
krapulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

If you are wanting to paint the lines on the inside get yourself some Frog tape. It is available in paint departments of hardware and home supply stores. It adheres great and leaves no residue. Also make a nice crisp edge.
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote