Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: About to get a CR-01 and got some Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Talking About to get a CR-01 and got some Q's

I'm totally new to the RC world and so i'll need everything from the radio controller to the battery without breaking the bank.

I found a kit for $310 shipped and i don't want to go over say $550 max.

Can you help me out with the best components to get (please provide links to the products if you can)

In the future i may want to add back steering, will this affect my initial setup price significantly?

Also for the front steering, do i need 1 or 2 servo's?
Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by hani1400; 10-04-2009 at 08:03 PM.
hani1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #2

I'd say get these items:
645 hitec servo for front and back $70
DX2 Controller $130
As for batteries, Your choice of Lipo or NIMH. The battery and charger will put you over your budget, but you will be VERY happy with these mid-priced items.
Apie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

as said above hitec 645s work decently on these and batteries going nimh would be a bit cheaper . for an esc there are TONS of options. for radio you dont need a dx2 thats only if you want 2.4ghz otherwise a $40 2ch am radio will be fine.
servo- (same as hitec 645) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXANT4&P=0
radio(s)- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXASX2**&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWPW0&P=0
a decent battery- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXUN6&P=0
decent cheap charger for it- http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towp0160.html
heres a cheap motor for crawling- http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVEV7&P=SM

then u just need a esc depending on what all u plan to do with it
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Tell me what you think, this is what i got:
Radio: Futaba 3pm http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270462359053

ESC: Novak rooster crawler ,esc only ill run it on the stock motor for now http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370268522883

Servo: hitec 645, only one though for front steering only...for now

I didnt get the batteries yet.
Will all this run ok on the stock motor?
And can some one give the link to the drive shaft replacement i heard these brake in no time.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by hani1400; 10-05-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

the radio and esc are fine and the stock motor can do some ok crawling. as for drive shafts i havent broken one in almost a year, i only twisted one. it comes with 2 extra driveshafts.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

So what do i look for in the parts to know what fits the cr-01? suspensions motors ect
and what is DIG? is it a rws control?

Last edited by hani1400; 10-05-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

If you don't have a radio, you might as well go for a stick radio. In the future the extra channels will come in handy especially if you want rear steering and this rig is never going so fast as to give you any trouble even if you're not intuitive enough to use the sticks. I have done the switch to my heli radio and I am not going back.
You can get one cheap S/H from aero guys.

Your budget however is not realistic no matter what you do, unless you go S/H on (quite) a few things. On the other hand buying weak servos for instance is false economy as you will soon notice.

For speedo anything will do as long as it has drag brakes. Without them your rig will roll back easily given the chance.

DIG is a transmission device that locks the rear wheels mechanically so they can't turn (effectively like a handbrake) so turning radius is shortened (i.e. you can turn tighter). It can also be used in descent, to stabilise/slow down the rig. Drag brakes (speedo) and rear wheel steering are better in my opinion. Sure, they don't exclude the DIG unit but then the cost is more difficult to justify. I for instance have never felt I needed one. Being able to steer the rear wheels helps in changing the attack angle on climbing without turning the rig (you can "crab" the rig, i.e. go sideways) or when you get in a crevice with two wheels on a near vertical wall on the left and the other two on another near vertical on the right. This way you can control the rig's trend to drop one side in the crevice and get stuck. On side slopes you can use rear steering to finely compensate for the rig's trend to descend as you go along. But I guess all this is too early. Suggestion is wait for the DIG decision for the time being.
krapulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

these crawlers really dont need a drag brake because the planetary trans doesnt turn over nearly as easy as a typical 3-gear trans. on mine i have a 645, a cheap 2ch am radio, venom 60t and a lrp runner waterproof esc and it crawls just fine and doesnt show any signs of needing a drag brake. so far only like one or two companies make a dig for these and it cant be used with the stock chassis because it make the rear driveshaft way to short and the angle is super steep. a good cheap radio for these for rear steer would be a modded tq3
Old 10-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #9

I am using a XL-5 waterproof esc, and I have no need for drag, I have no problems on steep inclines. I am keeping the MM ESC in my stampede, the XL-5 is working perfectly for how I run.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Ok i changed to tekin fxr (ESC only) now i want some help with the BEST brushed high torque motor and batteries.
Do i need a BEC with this setup?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Any esc has BEC these days. BEC (battery eliminator circuit) is not something you need, it is something you are offerred for convenience.

You keep asking for the best of everything, but have a limited budget. A good starting point is a silvercan. You'll know if you need more power then. There ar eplenty of motors, search the net and you'll see. Tamiya themselves make a crawler tuned motor (35 turns).
Old 10-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #12

Holmes Hobbies. I'm planning on getting a 540 puller and their 2s Lipo when I get the itch to upgrade. I just finished building a week or 2 ago, so I'm going to run what i have now so I can enjoy the upgrade and see the difference after I run stock for a month or 2.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapulax View Post
Any esc has BEC these days. BEC (battery eliminator circuit) is not something you need, it is something you are offerred for convenience.

You keep asking for the best of everything, but have a limited budget. A good starting point is a silvercan. You'll know if you need more power then. There ar eplenty of motors, search the net and you'll see. Tamiya themselves make a crawler tuned motor (35 turns).
I know i already went way over the mentioned budget
I now have the charger and battery to choose
Charger i think ill get is the Onyx 230 what you think?
And the battery i have no idea which one all i know is to stay away from "venom" brand i want something above 3000mah "lipo"
and dont know anything about the voltage 7.2v? 7.4v and number of cells????
Isn't the more motor turns the more torque? which will be better the nova 55t or tekin 55t? has anyone tried the Integy 65t?

Last edited by hani1400; 10-07-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

for a motor i would go for 35t-45t range for some wheel speed. i have a 60t and its way slow.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
for a motor i would go for 35t-45t range for some wheel speed. i have a 60t and its way slow.
what the stock motors speed? isn't it 35?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #16
RCC Addict

the stock motor is a 27 turn, but it isn't going to go 35mph maybe 6-10 at the most.

I have a 35T Tamiya motor and its slower than the stock
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Don't you guys think slower with more torqe is way funner "more realistic" when crawling?
I heard people installed faster motors then regeared, is this better than geting a slower motor?

Last edited by hani1400; 10-07-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

I have an 85 turn motor and I don't think I need any more speed. As long as it has grip it can climb any slope. Torque is the same wether you have it because of the motor or gearing. Efficiency might be different but as I don't want the hassle of changing gears, I preferred the higher wind motor.

Any lipo is good, just try to get a hard cased one so you don't have nasty surprises especially if you get it splashed with water.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I would recommend Holmes Hobbies 35T Handwound. You get fun wheel speed as well as good torque, and smoothness at slow speeds. If you can spend a little more money, the Holmes Cobalt 10T Puller is awesome. Even more torque that the 35T and just about as fast as the 35T.

Just awesome motors. Dont take my word for it, do a search for the motors.

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=199&cat=17&page=1

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=131&cat=17&page=1
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #20

I use the integy motors with 3s and have no probs in my DMG, i go between 45 and 55, cheap and have yet to burn up or ahve any probs with it after a year,
tx_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote