RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya CR-01 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-cr-01/)
-   -   New to Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-cr-01/205071-new-crawlers.html)

Rocktaco01 10-16-2009 07:11 AM

New to Crawlers

Hello everyone!:)

New to the Crawler scene though in the past I have built several buggies, and boats.

So I have found a Tamiya CR-01 in the local CL. Guy want 300 for a complete build including electronics. Can you guys check this out for me and tell me if it's worth the money.
Also in the past, I know Tamiya was...well....how do I say this.... the cheap stuff. I had the Frog, the Hot Shot, then RC10 the a Losi so on and so. How does Tamiya stack up against the others in the RC crawling?

Thanks guys, and any info you can offer the "new guy" would be greatly appreciated!
Link to add on CL
http://denver.craigslist.org/tag/1416426373.html

860Crawler 10-16-2009 08:25 AM

Its funny you have the impression that Tamiya is cheap. Even their "cheap" or inexpensive stuff is usually better quality than most.

You can get a NIB unassembled CR-01 from retailers in the mid $300 w/o electronics. So you might be doing pretty good to get one already assembled and have electronics for that price. Depends I guess on how much use it got. (I can't see craigslist from my job server)

Though you miss out on the fun of building that beast.

Rocktaco01 10-16-2009 08:35 AM

Thanks for the input. Actually I should have stated that this is primarily for my 8 Yr old son. So from your comment I take it Tamiya is considered better then say Axial? Or is that they not even in the same class?

Here is a cut and paste from the add.

Everything on this truck is waterproof
4X4
added 4 WHEEL STEERING
traxxas computer and front wheel servo
new battery
fast charge charger (about 20 min from dead to full)
misc extra parts & tools
Futaba 2 channel controller
extra futaba servo
extra traxxas 4 channel reciever
locked front & rear diffs
2 sets of rims that are actually bead locked (never have a tire come off the rim)
1 set aluminum rims w/ green bead lock & tires usually cost $180
1 set plastic rims w/ plastic bead lock these are the stock rims

I am willing to sell the set of aluminum rims with the green bead locks separately for $120
the rims alone without tires usually sell for $70 for two and without tires... each of my eight tires cost me $15-$20

the suspension on this truck is very close to real life trucks w/ dampeners, pivot arms, Telescoping Drive shafts, axels
this thing is awesome. it doesnt move very fast (because its not ment for speed) but it will crawl up or over anything!!!!!
i have never lost a tug-a-war match with any of my buddies rc trucks, very powerful motor.
i am only selling it because i have some bills that NEED to be paid.

860Crawler 10-16-2009 11:18 AM

I'd say one is not any better than the other in terms of quality product. But as far as vehicles, Axial's crawler is competition based and Tamiya is scale based, though there is a scale Axial that is pretty nice truck as well.

Now its a pretty big expense for your 8yr old. What if he doesn't get into it now you're out $300?

benoj 10-16-2009 01:21 PM

for 300 its not a bad deal but for an 8yr old i would look on here for used rig once you are able to

Rocktaco01 10-16-2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 860Crawler (Post 2049326)
I'd say one is not any better than the other in terms of quality product. But as far as vehicles, Axial's crawler is competition based and Tamiya is scale based, though there is a scale Axial that is pretty nice truck as well.

Now its a pretty big expense for your 8yr old. What if he doesn't get into it now you're out $300?

Actually he started on one of the Walmart crawlers a few years ago, He is ready for something a bit more serious. Odds are after I get him set I'll build one for my self..:mrgreen:

860Crawler 10-16-2009 06:17 PM

Cool, you'll always have someone to crawl with!

ElOriginal 10-16-2009 09:31 PM

I dont think its a good deal. I ve seen some on ebay go for 200.00 rtr

lt. 10-21-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElOriginal (Post 2050340)
I dont think its a good deal. I ve seen some on ebay go for 200.00 rtr

That is true, I bought mine off of e-bay for $250 shipped and it had upgrades and it was RTR minus radio