Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: What tools do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #1

Default What tools do you use?

I just ordered an early Christmas present for myself and got the Land Cruiser CR-01.

This isn't my first RC kit or Tamiya kit I've built for that matter. I'm curious as to what the consensus is for tools people use to assemble the kit. I know that Tamiya uses the JIS screws. I normally wouldn't worry about it all but from the amount of screws this kit has I'm worried about stripping the heads, especially the bead locks. Having built Tamiya touring car kits, I know normal SAE screwdrivers work but don’t fit the heads that well.

I was thinking of just getting a hex screw kit to do the assembly but the Tamiya purist part of me is holding me back on that. I found a Tamiya tool kit on the ‘Bay, but at that price I think I would be better off buying a set of tools from somewhere else. Working on my 1:1 I know the value of using quality tools, so for this build I’m putting away the Harbor Freight tools.

Anyone have any good suggestions for what tools they recommend? Thanks in advance for your help.
x3inchesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #2

ive had good luck with a basic craftsmen pro screwdriver, for the beadlocks i used an eyeglasses screwdriver kit, but i wasnt happy with how it felt

i recently got the dynamite traxxas tool kit, it has screwdrivers and a lot of allen wrenches, it was only 20 bucks and i like it very much.... ive used it on my cr01 and im pretty sure it has a bit small enough for the beadlocks but not 100% on that...
PoinTHwerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

pretty basic set of Stanley screwdrivers, a pair of needle nose pliers, angled needle nose and the Tamiya 4 way wrench
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look in the Sears sale papers for a good sale on tools.
x3inchesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I was in the same boat , sort of, I went and replaced all the screws with hex, I currently running the ofna x long machined drivers for hand stuff, and made some 1/4 hex adapters to use the integy ti nitride hex bits for power tools, and boy with the cr 01 you sure want to use power tools, even my trigger finger was sore after I did my cr01.
Oh for hex screws stay away from Hexcrews.com. ower priced for not even a complete kit, and bad customer service, I had to contact them like 5 times, they had released the screw kit and nobody from there side ever checked the correct sizes,lengths,quantity, I was pretty pissed , the only plus side is it was the only hex screw kit I found that had all socket head cap screws, if I found a stainless socket head screw kit I would have went that route, hexcrews.com can kiss my ass
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I suppose your 1:1 cars are not japanese.
If you're really bent on keeping the kit screws, you can check out an original tool kit off a japanese car (Honda, Toyota, etc) if you can find one. I know my son's Honda still has a philips head JIS screwdriver, and it's a quality tool.

Personally I would try to find a good supplier of metric hardware (in Australia that's pretty easy and their prices are a fraction of what you pay in a hobby shop) and go Allen head screws. I think you have quite a few good ones in the US. I remember dealing with Metric mechanic at some point. They even had sizes I could not find in Australia, like M7 in Allen head (or cap screws as you call them).
krapulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3inchesx View Post
I was thinking of just getting a hex screw kit to do the assembly but the Tamiya purist part of me is holding me back on that.
tamiya has gone to hex screws on its trf-level kits. i can appreciate being a purist as much as the next guy, but don't let it get in the way of using better hardware.
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

About purists, I remember a dialogue on an american car forum where someone was saying they see a brilliant bussiness opportunity for obsessive purists who might want to buy caned sixties air to run their classic mustangs. teh trick is to find all those army surplus pickles jars they didn't use in Vietnam.
krapulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I too have swapped out 95% of the philips screws from my CR for cap head screws. Its worthwhile due to the amount of fixings in the kit.

However, for the times when I am working on my models and they have philips heads I personally use the Tamiya Kit Builder`s 8 piece tool kit part number #74023. It includes 3 of philips 00,0,1. 2 flat blade`s , 1.5mm hex, 5.5 and 7mm nut drivers.
igbandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapulax View Post
about purists, i remember a dialogue on an american car forum where someone was saying they see a brilliant bussiness opportunity for obsessive purists who might want to buy caned sixties air to run their classic mustangs. Teh trick is to find all those army surplus pickles jars they didn't use in vietnam.

lol
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote