Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Unimog Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Unimog Question

Just ordered a CR-01 Unimog kit a few days ago. Have not been able to find pics or an online manual and was wondering how that "sub-body" attaches? How is it attached and what to?

Eric
ericinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Didnt the kit come with instructions? They are assembled the same way, in case you did not know.

The 'floor' where the battery & electronics go are 3 pieces that get bolted together. The plastic sides that simulate a monster-truck style frame bolt to the c-channel frame rails, and then the rails bolt to the plastic electronics floor. Then after the engine/trans is assembled, they bolt to the skid plate, and then the skidplate bolts to the plastic side plates. There are a ton of screws of various sizes involved.
low_range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
RCC Addict

You can find a build manual in pdf form in this link
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinMD View Post
Just ordered a CR-01 Unimog kit a few days ago. Have not been able to find pics or an online manual and was wondering how that "sub-body" attaches? How is it attached and what to?

Eric
I presume you mean the two pannels that go in the side of the body? They basically simulate the 'engine' sides of a real life Unimog. On the kit they simply screw on the side of the body. Personally I think they look a bit naff and didn't use them on mine. I think the kit actually looks nicer though obviously less scale with the chassis rails showing from the side.

I got my Unimog for Xmas. Great little truck you'll have lots of fun with it. Probably the most fidly build I've done from a Tamiya kit, more fidly than the TXT or F350. Make sure you follow every instruction step by the letter if you're going for a stock build.
mobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_range View Post
Didnt the kit come with instructions? They are assembled the same way, in case you did not know.

The 'floor' where the battery & electronics go are 3 pieces that get bolted together. The plastic sides that simulate a monster-truck style frame bolt to the c-channel frame rails, and then the rails bolt to the plastic electronics floor. Then after the engine/trans is assembled, they bolt to the skid plate, and then the skidplate bolts to the plastic side plates. There are a ton of screws of various sizes involved.
We are talking about to entirely different things LOL! I'm asking about the "sub-body" which is part of the unimog body and specific to that kit. I wanted to know how the body attached to the sub body. I'm sure it does have instructions since it's a new sealed kit, but since I said the kit was "on it's way", kinda hard to get the UPS man to crack the box open and check for me on his route. Thanks anyway!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
Again, not what I'm looking for. I needed a Unimog specific manual as my question is about how the 2 parts of the unimog body attach to each other. It's not actually a build manual question the FJ40 manual can help. I saw that on TamiyaUSA, unfortunately they didin't have the Unimog Manual for d-load. Thanks anyway

Last edited by ericinMD; 01-11-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobias View Post
I presume you mean the two pannels that go in the side of the body? They basically simulate the 'engine' sides of a real life Unimog. On the kit they simply screw on the side of the body. Personally I think they look a bit naff and didn't use them on mine. I think the kit actually looks nicer though obviously less scale with the chassis rails showing from the side.

I got my Unimog for Xmas. Great little truck you'll have lots of fun with it. Probably the most fidly build I've done from a Tamiya kit, more fidly than the TXT or F350. Make sure you follow every instruction step by the letter if you're going for a stock build.
YES! That is exactly what I wanted to know. I thought I was pretty clear with my question, but... LOL. The kit has arrived but it's sealed up right now as I am starting my SCX10 build. I have not decided if I'm going to keep the Mog. The CR-01 design is just a little too busy for me. It's also way overpriced to ghetto rig it IMO. I just picked it up because it was dirt cheap where I got it compared to everywhere else. I got it for $270 shipped, which Tower was $375 on it and ebay prices were terrible with shipping. I just haven't decided yet. it's cool looking though...

I agree with you about leaving the sub body off. I saw a pic or 2 on Tamiyaclub like that. I might leave my sub body off too. I was just curious how it attached to the main body which I now know thanks to you!

Thanks,
eric
Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #8

. I have not decided if I'm going to keep the Mog. The CR-01 design is just a little too busy for me.
[/QUOTE]

I would say definitely build it. The build is rewarding if you take your time over it and its a great little truck. The Unimog is by far my favourite CR-01 body and there's lots of scope in this chassis for modding it. That said its actually one of the few Tamiya trucks which is actually a lot of fun as stock. The 27 turn motor gives it a scale top speed and combined with the planetery gearbox there's enough torque for simple crawling.

Cheers
Toby
mobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Hi Toby, I'm goijg to think about it while I build some other kits I have sitting here. Building my SCX10 right now. I bought the CR-01 because I got a deal on it, but also because it was one of the few Tamiya kits I hadn't built in the last 20 years. I have a friend who has had a FJ40 CR-01 since they were released, and I had been alll through the online manual for the fJ40 so I know how it builds and what it's basically going to be like.

Like you, I am very partial to the Mog body.

We have very mild terrain where I live, so I fully intend to keep it stock if I do keep it. The only thing I don't really like is like I said, the chassis is a very "busy" design for my taste. My friend calls it "overengineered" which I have to agree.

It's kinda on the back burner right now. I'll eventually get to it.

TTYL

Eric