Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: cydog510's 73 bronco-tons of pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default cydog510's 73 bronco-tons of pics

took the rig out for a first real trail run, out near my house there is some forest land and seeing as it has been raining here for over 2 weeks, there is a lot of water, tons of huge puddles and mud. i am running a stock motor, traxxas XL-5 waterproof esc, futaba AM receiver, stuffed in a balloon, zip-tied and i filled the opening with silicone. i also did the zip-tie trick and moved the rear, upper braces on top of the servo bed. i don't think you can tell, but the paint job is terrible, i went with some no-name paint (HUGE mistake) it dripped like crazy no matter how light a coat i put on it. hoping to find a land cruiser body and paint it british racing green like my 510. the 5000mah pack i had went the whole walk, about an hour and 15 minutes, which was crazy compared to EP touring cars running high KV brushless motors, they go quick! i do enjoy slow going tho!

just before it started to get wet.

in retrospect, yes i should have popped in black body post pins for pics, looks so toy car with the fluro one piece.

gettin deeper......

then too deep, got bogged down, time to pull out and try another route.

after the huge puddles/swamp/marsh, there was a ditch beside the gravel path, much more fun than the actual path.

i was having some radio problems, glitching and the like, i was under the impression that some water had leaked into the balloon holding the RX, but then i looked up...

then right...a bloody power station...

a quick articulation pic

then back up to dry trail, battery running low so one quick rock "climb" (to where....) and off to the showers

the end.
thanks for looking!
cy.

Last edited by cydog510; 02-06-2010 at 11:16 PM.
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Looks good. Nice color
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thanks, metallic green.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #4

great pics, did you dissasemble the axles and re-grease? i've had mine in quite a bit of snow & mud and am debating tearing it down for a cleaning
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

no tear down yet, i washed with boiling water, tonight i am gonna open up the hole for locking/unlocking the diffs and shooting in a bunch AW grease, see how that goes. a little worried about the whole thing rusting up. i figure though, if it ain't struggling and seizing up, leave 'er be. if i do open it up, i'll be sure to shoot pics and report.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default into the woods

i would REALLY like to do some rock crawling, but alas, there are no spots near my house! so i went for a jaunt in the woods, pics and a small vid. i have to get that yota land cruiser body!

from cyrus t on Vimeo.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Found the interferance story funny! Nice looking rig. Traxxas waterproof electrics are awesome. Nice wading shots.
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

how do you like the XL5 esc? I want to get one and just wanted to hear from others that are using it.

...nice pics btw
twisted concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

it's great! real strong, the real selling point for me was waterproof. i just have a problem with the lack of drag brake, going down steep ascents it will not hold completely, i have had to pop it into reverse and hold then ease off it, to gradually roll down. i read somewhere that if you change the pinion, it will increase hold. any insight nick perhaps? up or down in teeth....
thanks.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

looks good!
rabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

just got a toyota bruiser shell off ebay (big thanks to crazy4tamiya great service, crazy fast shipping and a free grill!?!?!). it's not quite a hilux like i wanted, but this looks sooo good on the CR-01 i think. just gotta get the grill mounted and i'm good! the pics are just on my home made rock pile in the back yard. "test track"

thanks.