Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: new to the CR01 club

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #1

Default new to the CR01 club

hey everybody, i just got a tamiya.

I got it because i liked the cantilever setup and the swaybars. which is the exact reason my bud was selling it, he didnt apriceate its design. im going to go brushles in this rig, going for a formula off road style truck. so its gona see some power. wheres the weak link, i like the planetary design of the trans, and the axles look ok.

any tips on driveline?
whats the "limit" motor wise these rigs can handle?
how fast has anyone got these rigs going?
NorKalKushKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i think with anything there is a limit, i wouldn't go popping in a 5.5t brushless in there, but that being said you COULD if you have a soft throttle finger.....with brushless i wouldn't go any lower than 19ish turn. this chassis shines at slow speeds, and some torque is a great addition. if you want speed, get a stadium truck i suggest.
in regards to the driveline, the drive shafts are the weak link, but i think many would agree that this is cheaper and easier to replace than anything in the differentials.
drive it, test it out, see what works for you.
welcome to the club!

Last edited by cydog510; 04-23-2010 at 02:48 AM.
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The stock driveshafts are made from chocolate and twist and snap very easily. I use traxxas #1951 drive shafts and traxxas metal yokes. The traxxas do still twist at times but not very often. It is better to have a weaker link that is easy and cheap to replace. By the way I run a novak goat 18.5 brushless in my CR based comp crawler with a 13 tooth pinion.
igbandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Before i start, let me say that just like my 1:1, im pretty hard on my r/cs. If i cant break it, it probably cant be broken

With my HH 35t +18t pinion i broke 3 of the stock axle shafts; the reinforced are holding up though. As mentioned the driveshafts suck, Traxxas is the way to go. Get some AL axial hexes theyre a direct fit (& cheap) and you wont strip those. I also think i just blew my second set of rear r&p so im going to open it up in a little bit and see whats making crunchy noises in there. The r&p is what bothers me, i dont like they way they mesh, and two broken sets in under a year doesnt give me the warm fuzzies. Forget about the trans, i cant see it being possible to deal any damage to it, unless you run the wrong pitch pinion, or dont mesh it properly.
low_range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I'm surprised youre having issues with the R&P. I just opened up my axle and it was pristine inside, even the grease was still white.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I too have done 1 set of ring and pinions, which was the set in the front axle. I put it down to very grippy tyres and using the dig alot on my comp CR.
igbandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
I'm surprised youre having issues with the R&P. I just opened up my axle and it was pristine inside, even the grease was still white.
Yep, i blew it up. Fortunately i ordered two sets of r&p the first time, so my spares are going in today. I have zero problems with the front (had it open 2 days ago), they are wearing great but the rears, not so good. I guess im just really hard on it, altho weighted Rock Grabbers & a monster of a 35t + 8.4v = a lot of load on those gears.

Im getting pretty good, yesterday i had the rear axle out, apart, and new r&p installed in about 20-25 minutes. Only stopped cuz i ran out of grease

Last edited by low_range; 04-24-2010 at 08:18 AM.
low_range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
lt.
Rock Stacker

Hmmm I don't know why everyone is having problems with their drive shafts. Mine are pristine, and I'm running a 55T motor.

(Knock on wood)
lt. is offline   Reply With Quote