Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Recommended Upgrades for the CR-01 Land Cruiser??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Talking Recommended Upgrades for the CR-01 Land Cruiser??

Well guys, it looks like I'm the rookie.
New to R/C.
New to this site.
New to crawling/bashing.
New to the Tamiya CR-01.
New to everything!

I know that this question has been asked before...many times.
But now that there are new hop-up products coming out all the time.....

What do you consider your TOP 3 modifications to the stock CR-01??

Any other advice about this rig?
Pros? Cons?

Thanks!!

Here's my rig so far:

(How 'bout that frog down below?....)

1SweetRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Nice rig. I like the bike and the little car in the roof rack.

Top mods would be

1. Ziptie your cantilever arms together to remove slop

2. Metal driveshafts

3. Aluminum dampers

A lot of mods are subjective I guess. For example, I think the Tamiya short barrel springs changed the dynamics in a very good way. I'd say that was one of the best investments I made on mine. Also weighting the wheels, I could take it or leave it at this point. I've got a set of wheels that are weighted 9oz in each front 6oz in each rear and a set of wheels that are unweighted. I actually run the unweighted wheels more often now. Seems to be working great.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well in my opinion:

Change the shock system... I like the cantilevers but in mine I have them on the front and on the rear I have normal shocks with external coils. What this does is that I have almost no torquetwist.

Buy a front skid plate... Junfac sells them specialy made for the CR-01... Great if you don't want to have all your axles scratched and also good to slide on the rocks instead of getting stuck.

Wheel weight, for me it works, not much weight is needed, I personaly have about 6oz. on the front and none on the back...

I also have the stainless driveshafts that work great (you get them at junfac also).

BTW your crawler looks great... congratulations, and please let me know where you got the small toyo you have on the roof...
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
Nice rig. I like the bike and the little car in the roof rack.

Top mods would be

1. Ziptie your cantilever arms together to remove slop

2. Metal driveshafts

3. Aluminum dampers

A lot of mods are subjective I guess. For example, I think the Tamiya short barrel springs changed the dynamics in a very good way. I'd say that was one of the best investments I made on mine. Also weighting the wheels, I could take it or leave it at this point. I've got a set of wheels that are weighted 9oz in each front 6oz in each rear and a set of wheels that are unweighted. I actually run the unweighted wheels more often now. Seems to be working great.
I've just put on the short barrels. Those are are like night and day as compared to the stock.

I'll try the weights too.....

I noticed lately that the shocks are quite leaky.
Will new aluminum dampers fix this?
Would new dampers also improve the suspension of the truck since that body bounces around quite excessively?

Last edited by 1SweetRide; 05-23-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
Well in my opinion:

Change the shock system... I like the cantilevers but in mine I have them on the front and on the rear I have normal shocks with external coils. What this does is that I have almost no torquetwist.

Buy a front skid plate... Junfac sells them specialy made for the CR-01... Great if you don't want to have all your axles scratched and also good to slide on the rocks instead of getting stuck.

Wheel weight, for me it works, not much weight is needed, I personaly have about 6oz. on the front and none on the back...

I also have the stainless driveshafts that work great (you get them at junfac also).

BTW your crawler looks great... congratulations, and please let me know where you got the small toyo you have on the roof...
Will that front skid plate get stuck on objects at all now that it sits lower on the axle?

That small toyo is the Matchbox Toyota FJ from the ten pack, I found recently....

What rear coil-over shocks do you recommend?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SweetRide View Post
I've just put on the short barrels. Those are are like night and day as compared to the stock.

I'll try the weights too.....

I noticed lately that the shocks are quite leaky.
Will new aluminum dampers fix this?
Would new dampers also improve the suspension of the truck since that body bounces around quite excessively?

New damper could solve your leak problem. The stock ones are known to leak, mine did. Get some new ones (aluminum or whatever) and pack the o-rings with AE Green Slime and you should be good.
Zip tying the cantiliever arms together will stop the body from bouncing about. If you hold the lower cantilever arm you can move the upper one. That slop is where the body/chassis has undamped movement. Once you run a tie through the arms so they move as one, the chassis and axle movement will run through the suspension as it should.

Last edited by 860Crawler; 05-27-2010 at 09:35 AM.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

high clearance links
rabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #8

Talking CR-01 Mods

1SweetRide - love your CR-01 the bike on the back is ace, where did you get it from?

Top mods - Wheel weights, Barrel Springs & Change the stabalisers.

I agree with all about that cable tie the canterlevers make the world of difference and costs very little.

Stock shocks to leak, good advice about grease when ever building shocks.

With regard to the strablalisers I'm running soft in the front and medium in the rear.

Star cut foams are also a must but thats more thean 3 lol

You can see mine crawling on YouTube
rc-Bitz is offline   Reply With Quote