Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

View Poll Results: Why the tamiya CR-01 isn't so polpular
Too Expensive for what it has to offer 21 34.43%
The looks aren't really scale 15 24.59%
The performance isn't what I expect for a crawler 6 9.84%
Nothing wrong really, I love my CR-01 27 44.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Your opinion on why CR-01 is not so popular

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Your opinion on why CR-01 is not so popular

I love my cr-01. Indeed I think it's one of my favorite crawlers. I just don't understand why people don't like them so much and preffer crawlers as the SCX-10 or derivates... what do you think

Last edited by norbyx; 05-24-2010 at 04:14 PM.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
I just don't understand why people don't like them so much and preffer crawlers as the SCX-10 or derivates...
Have you ever driven a SCX-10?

I would guess you have not...
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt Hartman View Post
Have you ever driven a SCX-10?

I would guess you have not...
Sure I did.... I had one also...
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The local hobby shops don't carry them, they don't carry the parts, they are more expensive, and its not going to match the performance of the SCX10.

I'm sure they are great, but not greater than. . . .

Drunk
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
The local hobby shops don't carry them, they don't carry the parts, they are more expensive, and its not going to match the performance of the SCX10.

I'm sure they are great, but not greater than. . . .

Drunk
x2! and they come with 2.2s sit way high and doesnt look too scale the way the chassis/tires/ axles sit (body is nice and fairly scale IMO)
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

If they came stock with a more scale chassis and better suspension setup I think they would be a lot more popular I built my freinds cro1 and modded an x-trail chasis to fit the tranny and it came out great. It sits way lower and looks a lot more scale. We also put 1.9's on and it looked great to.
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
Try to Bend it

Put simply it was over design by people who know very little about crawling. It was my first crawler and I do still like it but no where near as much as my AX-10's. I think if any thing it will end its days as a shelf queen as I have to much hard earned invested in it that I will never get a fair return on it.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

All of the above?

In the world of crawling, it's as tough to compete with Axial as it is to compete with Traxxas everywhere else. You've got to provide 3x the machine for the money in order to compete with the popularity, and the CR-01 is NOT 3x the machine.

It doesn't look scale. In fact, if I didn't get mine for really cheap, I wouldn't have bought one in the first place. Based on the images on the box, it looks top heavy, complicated, and goofy. At my LHS they've got one on display right next to a couple Axials and a Komodo XL, and honestly I'd buy the Komodo first, just for the look and because I always root for the underdog. I'd probably regret that...

I'm betting that people find the cantilever suspension confusing and unnecessarily complicated, but I think it works a hot damn. The truck is very customizable right out of the box, with rear steer and all the spring/shock/sway combinations to get the truck operating the way you want it. Once you deal with the limited steering throw and get the CG down a bit lower it's not bad, but it's really still a trail truck. Admittedly it's way more complicated than it needs to be, but it's unique and you always know one when you see one.

The body could fit the wheelbase and width better, because I had to trim the hell out of the rear fenders in order to even get mine to corner on flat ground without grinding the tires against the taillights, unless I sat the body up so high it looked ridiculous (like it does on the cover of the box). I'll be re-bodying mine.

But overall I'd make it better by making the frame look less swiss-cheesy and flat, throwing some more beef in the chassis and drivetrain (down low) so it's not so top heavy, and giving it a body that fits better. That's about it. A little fine tuning would improve the performance a lot, but people aren't avoiding it because of the performance, IMHO.

More option parts that aren't just blingy aluminium copies of the original stuff (3racing) would be good, though. Wouldn't hurt those of us who buy them and want to make them better, anyway...

Last edited by ugly duck; 05-25-2010 at 04:02 PM.
ugly duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I love mine and have plans for a slightly different scale build soon.
lowslowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Default cro1

i love mine all i did was a droop set up and different tires and novak 55 its the best crawler iv ever had iv had 3 or 4 tlts i built and 2 scx-10s and 1 rf and honistly my cr01 is the best but yeah i do agree with the fact that the hobby shops need to stock more parts
Skyjacker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Because it in not purpose built to do anything in particular. Its not a rock crawler, its not a scaler just kind of a mix, but thats why I got mine . A trail runner that can crawl some rocks if I find some on the trail.
rikstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I prefer the obscure RCs out there. 10-15 years from now they'll be worth some change.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikstr View Post
Its not a rock crawler, its not a scaler just kind of a mix, but thats why I got mine . A trail runner that can crawl some rocks if I find some on the trail.
That's why I got mine too and I love it
Crawler-Mog is offline   Reply With Quote