Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Tamiya CR-01 Unimog Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
wax

Default Tamiya CR-01 Unimog Questions

Ok, I got a CR-01 off the bay and have a few questions. I think i got a pretty good deal on it, Its a new CR-01 Mog with, New Novak Goat crawler system, New 3PM 2.4 system, Two new Hitec 645MG servos, Jun Fac stainless steel drive shafts and aluminum front skid plate. 430 USD delivered

The truck was partially assembled and i found a few things that looked a little odd lol. The main one was one bearing was not installed in each wheel lol, This makes me wonder if i should disassemble it and rebuild it so i know its all together correctly.

Ok the questions

* Springs, Front has a medium swaybar and medium short barrel springs. Rear has soft swaybar and soft short barrel springs. I have 6 other springs in the box, 2 are the barrel type and 4 are normal looking springs, are the barrel springs a hopup?

* Suspension, The cantilever system seems to have a lot of play in it, the tires have about .25" of play before the shock starts moving, Is this normal?

* Servos, What is the best way to hookup two servos to a R603FF Futaba receiver? My Traxxas 2.4 Link system in my SCX10 has two plugins for dual steering servos.

wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

1.the barrel springs are a good hop-up for the cr01
2. yes the cantilevers do have a bit of slop in them, totally normal
3. depend how you want it to steer. full time 4ws you will need a y-harness that should plug into spot 1 the esc in slot 2 on the 3pm it has only a 2pos switch which makes it hard to do independant rear steer but if it were a 3pmx you would plug the rear servo in slot 3 for independant rear steering
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
wax

Thanks benoj,

Id like to have 4 wheel steer but dont have a Y harnes, I guess ill install my extra Traxxas receiver and run it from my SCX10 radio.

I like the barrel springs, But i have a sag issue in the rear, I think the soft springs are in the rear and medium are in the front, Ill try installing the hard springs in the rear and see how it sits.

I want to replace the cantilevers but dont have any shocks that look like a working option, I have a set of new Venom Creeper shocks but they look a little long.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #4

try to ziptie the cantilever arms together to eliminate slop

check here Cantilever tweaks
pjtmanzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Not sure what you're looking at but there are not supposed to be bearings in the wheels. Where would they fit?
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 AM   #6
wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
Not sure what you're looking at but there are not supposed to be bearings in the wheels. Where would they fit?
lol, Sorry bad choice of words, Not really the wheels, The Hubs i guess (not sure what they are called) They had a bearing on the inside of each but did not have a bearing on the outside behind the hex and pin.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax View Post
lol, Sorry bad choice of words, Not really the wheels, The Hubs i guess (not sure what they are called) They had a bearing on the inside of each but did not have a bearing on the outside behind the hex and pin.
yes there should be a bearing in there...all in all there should be 2 for each wheel
pjtmanzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

They're called wheel bearings, not hub bearings, even though they're not installed in the wheel. I knew what you were talking about, anyway...
ugly duck is offline   Reply With Quote