Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: what does a cr-01 require for upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default what does a cr-01 require for upgrades?

i am looking at buying a cr-01. just wondering what should be done to it? its a kit roller with no electronics. the guy has taken out the cantelever shock set-up and put t-maxx shocks in it. is that a good thing to do? looking for some good ideas for upgrades or things that should be upgraded.
SmokeScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

and it has t-maxx shafts in it.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Get yourself a motor with good torque and an ESC with a drag brake and you'll be good on the electronics side. Also a 2.4ghz radio wouldn't hurt so you won't have a big antenna to deal with.

If the previous owner hasn't done it yet, upgrade your driveshafts to something metal because the plastic ones will eventually twist up.

Edit; just read it again, i see you have t-maxx driveshafts
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

the CR is pretty damn capable, I agree with 860. Mine is practically stock besides electronics and it's been a freakin blast.

also, how in the hell do you guys twist the driveshafts? mine are original and I've been beatin on them
CJ318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Mine were pretty durable too. I really didn't have one fail until at least a year or more of lots of use and scale comps, etc. I just replaced them with plastic until I was out then I upgraded to the Tamiya carbon steel. I think a lot of people get a tire stuck on the rocks and try to force them out.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

ya i have to get an esc and motor yet. just stuffed in the stock ones from my ax10 for now. i have a futaba pm channel radio, just need another receiver for cr-01. are the t-maxx a good upgrade? i kinda like the look of the catelever system but guy i got it from took them out and i didnt get the turnbuckles for it. i have the cantelevers and springs tho.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I saw a post somewhere from a guy who filled the male end of the stock plastic shaft with epoxy. I have the Tamiya carbon ones but would have tried this trick had I known about it.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

maybe i will give filling them with epoxy a try. i took the t-maxx shocks off because i didnt like how they looked(not very scale). i put sxc10 scocks with the fake ext. resevoirs on it with small spring on bottom(semi-droop?).
Old 09-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

epoxy in the drive shafts? wouldn't that prevent the shafts from sliding/compressing in and out? when the axles flex, the drive shafts need to compress in/out a little. if you are bashing around (for example doing jumps), the drive shafts will need to compress a little also.

i guess i am completely missing something. can someone explain to me why epoxy in the drive shafts is an upgrade/improvement?

edit: ya the shafts would be 'stronger' with epoxy, but the benefit of a stronger shaft is not worth the issues caused by a shaft that does not slide/compress IMO. If you want stronger shafts just upgrade them.

Last edited by mtnhrdgr2; 09-08-2010 at 02:05 PM.
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhrdgr2 View Post
epoxy in the drive shafts? wouldn't that prevent the shafts from sliding/compressing in and out? when the axles flex, the drive shafts need to compress in/out a little. if you are bashing around (for example doing jumps), the drive shafts will need to compress a little also.

i guess i am completely missing something. can someone explain to me why epoxy in the drive shafts is an upgrade/improvement?

edit: ya the shafts would be 'stronger' with epoxy, but the benefit of a stronger shaft is not worth the issues caused by a shaft that does not slide/compress IMO. If you want stronger shafts just upgrade them.
you fill the MALE side of driveshaft. the male slides in and out of female side. therefore that will not cause binding. it just makes the male solid instead of hollow.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

hmmm...i hadnt used the stock CR01 drive shafts since month 2 of me owning my CR01. I dont remember the male part of the shaft is hollow. ok, thanks.
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote