Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Yota Tundra Highlift vs. Land Cruiser FJ40 (Price difference)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 AM   #1

Default Yota Tundra Highlift vs. Land Cruiser FJ40 (Price difference)

Yo fellas.

I'm dreaming of a Toyota FJ40 on the CR01 chassis - I checked prices and the also extremely nice Tundra Highlift is significantly more expensive? Does this come down to performance or to the amount of scaling details on the highlift? I want a kit to tinker with and I know the FJ40 comes as a kit - I can't seem to find out if the Highlift is also a kit?

Thanks for replies

Mocca
Mocca Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default cr01 tundra

the highlifts are in kit versions and you can get them rtr with mfu they are a little pricey rtr but the kits arent to bad as far as tinkering with a new kit the cro1 has more options in my opinion
harokingxpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The CR01 is a more capable scale crawler than the Tundra. You can get the tundra to be a capable scale crawler, but you will have to do some modifications and spend some money on aftermarket parts. The Tundra has better scale detail and has a hard shell body while the the Yota FJ40 has a lexan body. I gotta say that once the Tundra is set up correctly, it is a blast to drive.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
The CR01 is a more capable scale crawler than the Tundra. You can get the tundra to be a capable scale crawler, but you will have to do some modifications and spend some money on aftermarket parts. The Tundra has better scale detail and has a hard shell body while the the Yota FJ40 has a lexan body. I gotta say that once the Tundra is set up correctly, it is a blast to drive.
Yes, it is!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbw57vTAobM
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #5

Nice movie! That is one good looking truck - love the paint job. The colors compliment each other superbly.

Thanks for the replies. I'll get my hands on a FJ40 kit and start to tinker - the price tag on the tundra seems a bit over the top to me at this point, and I do want a cool crawler which is somewhat scale - not an comp one with "machine look". The FJ40 seems like the right choice.

regards,
Mocca
Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

One other big difference is the high lift is a 3 speed that factors into the extra $ too. That said, if you are looking for a cross between crawling and scale, the CR-01 out of the box is hard to beat. If there is one thing I would add to the CR-01 it would be 3 speed so I could go fast when I want to. I have a 55T with stock gearing and it's great in the rocks but I crave a little speed now and then.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
One other big difference is the high lift is a 3 speed that factors into the extra $ too. That said, if you are looking for a cross between crawling and scale, the CR-01 out of the box is hard to beat. If there is one thing I would add to the CR-01 it would be 3 speed so I could go fast when I want to. I have a 55T with stock gearing and it's great in the rocks but I crave a little speed now and then.
Yea - my thoughts exactly. I just have some excellent grounds in the neighborhood where a crawler would be pure awesomeness, but my only real concern in the lack of speed now and then...
I have my old hummer for gravel-speeding though - could be I'd simple try and lower it and the like, making it a "sporty rally hummer"... guess that would be new

I didn't know about the 3 speed on the highlift -a valid point in the $ department.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Can the 3-Speed from the High Lifts fit in the CR-01? That would be so sweet if it could!

I would need a new radio, but that would just be awesome!

-Disjaukifa
disjaukifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

i'm sure with a little tinkering, a summit 2 speed can be wedged into a CR-01. lots of guys are doing that with the SCX-10's!
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Or just add a brushless setup like i did to mine, i put in it a novak goat, with a 2s lipo or even a 7 cell nimh it will do wheelies, and certainly have more than enough torque to twist driveshafts and strip wheel hexes if not careful with your trigger finger
You can see on this video the smoothness of the sensore system and when needed the wheelspeed is aslo there.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

also the clearance on the high lifts is pretty minimal. CR-01 all the way.
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #12

If you don't mind rtr they have "scratch and dent" items here that are great deals in my opinion. Here is a link to a red FJ40 rtr, all it needs is a battery pack for the truck and batteries for the controller.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=23656SD

Like any truck, things will break so upgrades will come in time. I just picked up a red rtr FJ40, swapped the stock controller with a Spectrum 2.4 and everything else is still stock, have not broken anything yet. Love this truck, this is the truck I drive everyday and I also own a Axial XR10 and Axial SCX10.

Pick one up either rtr or kit, you will love this truck.
Aznhunter is offline   Reply With Quote