Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Couple of CR-01 Setup Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Couple of CR-01 Setup Questions

Hey Guys,

I know I have another thread about the CR-01 I got, but I have some specific questions that I'm hoping to get answered here!

1st - Is the drive terrain suppose to be slightly glitchly? Heres what I mean, it doesn't seem smoothly, I've noticed at one RPM range the tires don't seem to turn smoothly and it glitches slightly, however if you are above or below that certain RPM it seems to be fine. Is this just a feature of the no slip drive-train? As many of you know from reading my other thread, I got the CR-01 assembled and its beginning to look like it was done completely right. Wondering if I should take the a Transmission and Axles apart to make sure they were built correctly. I rather not do it if I don't have to because I don't have the manual, which yes I know I can download, but its something I wasn't planning on doing. Also could this be caused by the motor? Its looks like an old 540 silver can motor was put into this rig.

2nd - Is their a way to change the ride height? It seems like my CR-01 rides fairly low, maybe its just because I'm use to Monster Trucks, but it seems like in all the photos I have ever seen they seem to rid higher than mine does. If it can be changed, how do I do it without ordering new parts, is there anyway I can adjust the suspension?

3rd - What oz torque steering servos do you guess run? I have two TS-150 servos that I currently have in two Clods that I was thinking about using, however I'm going to be setting up a dual steering setup on my CR-01 and I have two Futaba 3152 digital servos that are like 87oz of torque, and was wondering if that would do ok for the time being?

4th - I know this would affect rid height and all but what would be a good cheap set of large springs and oil filled shocks cost for the CR-01?

Thanks
Disjaukifa
disjaukifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

1st) the glitching could def be the motor if its an old brushed piece of shhht. the brushes go bad in them. ive switched to brushless and never looked back.

3rd) as for the servos, if your just making a trail scaler 87oz is more than enough to turn your wheels.
K5krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5krawler View Post
1st) the glitching could def be the motor if its an old brushed piece of shhht. the brushes go bad in them. ive switched to brushless and never looked back.

3rd) as for the servos, if your just making a trail scaler 87oz is more than enough to turn your wheels.
What brushless system are you running? I'd like to stick to something close to the 27T 540 stock motors. Seems to provide good speed, and enough torque for crawling as well.

I'm not making a scale rig, yet not making an insane crawler like the Axial XR10, something in-between.

I've seen 21.5T Brushless System, however I really don't know how the 21.5T related to say a 21T brushed motor.

-Disjaukifa
Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

i used the dual spring axial shocks for scx10 on mine. looks better than t-maxx shocks that were on it. ride height seems ok to me. mine is more of a trail truck that can climb. i have a ax-10 for serious crawling.
SmokeScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

If you have the u-joints out of phase on either driveshaft, you'll get the real herky-jerky motion from the wheels when the driveshaft is anywhere but in a dead straight line.

http://jniolon.clubfte.com/driveline.../shaftends.jpg

My madd ms-paint skilz aren't as extreem as this guy, not my image but it gets the job done.

Also, if your driveshaft is just about as extended as it can be, the center will wobble, as the male end is just about to fall out of the female end.

If you're talking about an electrical glitch, try moving your radio or your BEC (leave them hooked up) and see if that changes anything.

As far as the ride height, you'd have to show pictures of your rig for anyone to be able to comment on how you've got it set up. Could be something really elementary, or there might not be a problem at all.
ugly duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly duck View Post
If you have the u-joints out of phase on either driveshaft, you'll get the real herky-jerky motion from the wheels when the driveshaft is anywhere but in a dead straight line.

http://jniolon.clubfte.com/driveline.../shaftends.jpg

My madd ms-paint skilz aren't as extreem as this guy, not my image but it gets the job done.

Also, if your driveshaft is just about as extended as it can be, the center will wobble, as the male end is just about to fall out of the female end.

If you're talking about an electrical glitch, try moving your radio or your BEC (leave them hooked up) and see if that changes anything.

As far as the ride height, you'd have to show pictures of your rig for anyone to be able to comment on how you've got it set up. Could be something really elementary, or there might not be a problem at all.
ugly duck I think you just solved my jitter problem I was messing with the drive shafts and didn't take into account how I was connecting them, I bet that is my issue!

I don't think I'm having interference issues, it not acting like that at all.

I'll post pictures tonight if I get a chance. Again it might be at the right height and I 'm just use to the massive clearance of the Clods and Juggernaut.

-Disjaukifa
Old 09-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Ugly duck you solved my jitter issues!!! Both my drive shafts were out of phase!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 09-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
RCC Addict

It can be deceiving too because when you lift the truck up the axles droop way down and a little binding results and you get a little glitch as you throttle slowly.

Personally I think the ride height is right. Its actually quite tall for a "scaler". I got the Tamiya short springs just because the chassis was too high and was prone to rolling over on the rocks.

Take your springs out and see what color he put on. There will be a little paint mark on the last coil. Red is soft, yellow is medium, and blue is hard. If you make all your springs blue it will ride as high as it can standard. You'd have to buy another pack of Tamiya setting springs though because the kit only came with one pair of each type. Pretty stupid, it should have come with 4 of each type of spring.

You'll probably be able to roll it quite easily with a little speed if you raise it and have 4 wheel steering.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

860 is right, the height of the cr-01 is a bit on the high side for a crawler or a scaler. I would have suggested looking at electronics for your glitch but it seems like you've narrowed it down to poor assembly. If it were me, I would take that truck back down to ground 0 and reassemble it. But it sounds like you're not into that so keep posing problems and we'll keep posting answers. It's a fun truck & you'll get it right.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
It can be deceiving too because when you lift the truck up the axles droop way down and a little binding results and you get a little glitch as you throttle slowly.

Personally I think the ride height is right. Its actually quite tall for a "scaler". I got the Tamiya short springs just because the chassis was too high and was prone to rolling over on the rocks.

Take your springs out and see what color he put on. There will be a little paint mark on the last coil. Red is soft, yellow is medium, and blue is hard. If you make all your springs blue it will ride as high as it can standard. You'd have to buy another pack of Tamiya setting springs though because the kit only came with one pair of each type. Pretty stupid, it should have come with 4 of each type of spring.

You'll probably be able to roll it quite easily with a little speed if you raise it and have 4 wheel steering.
hey 860Crawler, would you recommend running 4 yellow medium springs? I want a decent rid height but I also want stability and I rather have a good middle ground between the two.

Also 860 Crawler thanks for the information in my other thread!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 09-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

P.S. I want to try the Tamiya hop up short barrel springs. might be something you want to look into as it seems like (from pics) it lowers the body a little and improves dampening in the suspension. I'm coming from a more "scale look" stand point that performance. I know there are better comp crawlers out there but I like a truck that looks like a truck by god. Cr01 is a good cross and that's why eventually it will be a classic.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
860 is right, the height of the cr-01 is a bit on the high side for a crawler or a scaler. I would have suggested looking at electronics for your glitch but it seems like you've narrowed it down to poor assembly. If it were me, I would take that truck back down to ground 0 and reassemble it. But it sounds like you're not into that so keep posing problems and we'll keep posting answers. It's a fun truck & you'll get it right.
Its not that I don't want to take the truck apart, normally I love building kits like these, I've several Tamiya kits and have throughly enjoyed the entire experience.

My thing is I have a 21 month old son and 1 month old daughter, so my RC time is limited ! My son and I play with the RCs while my wife and daughter get some quiet time when I come home from work.

Today my son loved the CR-01 once he realize it could climb over stuff, we were out in the yard and he keep getting some of his sand toys for my to crawler over, shovels, buckets, etc. It was a ton of fun!. Whenever the truck would get on top of thing we would get this big smile and start laughing .

If my wife is feeling up to it, she comes out and likes to watch as well. The RC thing is really a family activity. Usually I run Monster Trucks, but my son is beginning to enjoy seeing the crawler scale almost anything he can find!

Long story short, thats the reason I don't have time to complete take the truck apart and then re-assembly it. Maybe if my wife takes the kids to her parents house on weekend in a couple of weeks I'll spend a Saturday doing that but until then I really just don't have the time!

Honeslty I think the truck is just really new and really tight like 860Crawler suggested. I started to go over the entire truck and make sure everything all the screws I can see are tightened.

I had to take all the bead locks off tonight because the previous owner didn't install the tires correctly . The more I tinker and try to fix, the better the CR-01 runs!

-Disjaukifa
Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
P.S. I want to try the Tamiya hop up short barrel springs. might be something you want to look into as it seems like (from pics) it lowers the body a little and improves dampening in the suspension. I'm coming from a more "scale look" stand point that performance. I know there are better comp crawlers out there but I like a truck that looks like a truck by god. Cr01 is a good cross and that's why eventually it will be a classic.
I couldn't agree with you more, I see the CR-01 becoming like the Clod Buster, had them for years, came out with a replacement, Juggernaut, however people missed the Clod Buster, so they re-released it as the Super Clod Buster.

I love the CR-01, even though I didn't get to build it, the more I drive it and learn to control the truck the more I'm enjoying it. I've never competed in anything RC, and now I'm considering maybe doing so with the CR-01 if I can find an entry level event somewhere near me next summer.

I can't agree with you more, I love the fact this crawler looks like a truck. I like the Axial XR-10 and the Venom Creepers, but they just don't look realitic.

Hahah that being said I wouldn't mind owning either

-Disjaukifa
Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I use blue spring in front and yellow in back because I was getting the nose down hot rod look from the battery weight up front. Blue front/yellow rear pretty much evened up the ride height. I still have it set up that way even with the short barrel springs. They are also a bit stiffer than the stock springs. Also I have Lipo battery packs now so they batteries are lighter, but I still kept the springs the same. Putting the thin stabilizer bar in front and medium in the back offsets the difference in firmness of the springs as well.

The rig won't do too well in 2.2 comps without a hell of a lot of work, its just too tall and top heavy. That's why the comp crawlers have evolved into what they look like now, low center of gravity, sharper turning, etc. But the CR-01 will hold its own in scale competitions, which is what I put mine in. A lot of clubs will let you run "out-of-the-box" trucks like CR-01 or Crawler King even though they don't fit the truely scale form.

Last edited by 860Crawler; 09-22-2010 at 07:25 PM.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
I use blue spring in front and yellow in back because I was getting the nose down hot rod look from the battery weight up front. Blue front/yellow rear pretty much evened up the ride height. I still have it set up that way even with the short barrel springs. They are also a bit stiffer than the stock springs. Also I have Lipo battery packs now so they batteries are lighter, but I still kept the springs the same. Putting the thin stabilizer bar in front and medium in the back offsets the difference in firmness of the springs as well.

The rig won't do too well in 2.2 comps without a hell of a lot of work, its just too tall and top heavy. That's why the comp crawlers have evolved into what they look like now, low center of gravity, sharper turning, etc. But the CR-01 will hold its own in scale competitions, which is what I put mine in. A lot of clubs will let you run "out-of-the-box" trucks like CR-01 or Crawler King even though they don't fit the truely scale form.
Good information to know 860Crawler! I would like to get a comp crawler at some point, even thought about getting a used CR-01 with a joker chassis , love the look of it, but then again I love the look of the Axial XR-10, however for my back yard crawling purposes, the CR-01 fits the bill perfectly

-Disjaukifa
Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Hey Guys,

Will the following servo horn work for the for the CR-01? I'm thinking it will but I just want to ask and make sure before I place this order:

Durtrax Aluminum Servo Horn

*EDIT*

I went ahead and ordered a pair of these, after doing some research in other threads in this section, I found out those Duratrax were the correct height, etc. I tried just a stock servo horn and while its way better, the flex is a it ridiculous! I should have them here next week!!!.

Thanks
Disjaukfia

Last edited by disjaukifa; 09-22-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I would pick the servo you are going to use & then pick a horn with a solid aluminum arm that fits that gear and avoid the plastic adapter, seems like a weak point to me. Futaba is 24T??? might want to verify that.

I have kids, all boys, 1, 3 & 5 so I can realate. the Cr-01 is great for kids because it's slow & durable. my 3 year old can drive it fine on flat ground and my 5 year old is getting good in the rocks. CR-01 is a good choice for your future, I't will be loads of fun with kids. I'm looking at adding more to my fleet for the kids, maybe a unimog and a bronco.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I would pick the servo you are going to use & then pick a horn with a solid aluminum arm that fits that gear and avoid the plastic adapter, seems like a weak point to me. Futaba is 24T??? might want to verify that.

I have kids, all boys, 1, 3 & 5 so I can realate. the Cr-01 is great for kids because it's slow & durable. my 3 year old can drive it fine on flat ground and my 5 year old is getting good in the rocks. CR-01 is a good choice for your future, I't will be loads of fun with kids. I'm looking at adding more to my fleet for the kids, maybe a unimog and a bronco.
The servos I run are 25T for the spindle, its a Tower Hobbies servo, however the futaba horns seems to fit on it and the link says it will fit futaba servos though it doesn't say how many teeth it has . . . I think it will work just fine. If not I'll just return it I guess.

*EDIT* Yeah I just checked, and those servo horns are compatible with the Tower Hobbies servos I run, so its all good *EDIT*

-Disjaukifa

Last edited by disjaukifa; 09-22-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

So after much debating on wether I should run or sell my Novak Havoc 17.5T Brushless system, I've decided to slap this bad boy into my CR-01.

However here is my question: Should I use the linear or expo throttle curve? I'm thinking expo, but I just wanted see what ya'll would run.

Thanks
Disjaukfia