Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: My first CR, excited!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My first CR, excited!

Hey guys, I'm new to the CR-01 scene and have to say this is my favorite truck so far. These things are so capable it's amazing, and the fact that they are so realistic makes it even better.

So give me some pointers on what I should do to make this thing even more fun to run around. So far it has a Novak Super Rooster, Spectrum receiver, Warn winch, HR bead locks and a Traxxas waterproof servo that leaves a lot to be desired with the turning ability.

I will post some pics of my first outing with it when I get home to my computer and can add them to photobucket.

Thanks for a great forum that seems to be full of good info and cool people.
Got_Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
RCC Addict

You seem to be on the right track. The Traxxas servo should do alright. The turning radius is going to be crap no matter what servo you get especially if the axle diffs are locked. You should just be concerned with servo strength, you need it to turn the wheels when its on the rocks or in a tough spot.

Mine turns like a cruise ship and I think I have a pretty decent servo.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Which one do you have....FJ, Jeep, Bronco, or Uni?

Mine started out as a FJ but I sold the body and put on a HPI Bronco body, I think I'll pick up the Tamiya Bronco body next?

....Tom
th67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It currently has the FJ body but I have been eyeballing the Joker chassis pretty hard since I came across it the other day. I'm a little torn over stripping down this CR but don't have the money to build a full custom that I want. I guess I could always reassemble this one at a latter date.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Here are a few pics taken by my awesome wife.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Nice pics. You sound like you've got good electronics. Tamiya steel drive shafts may be worth taking a look at. The two week points of the CR are the turning radius which has already been mentioned and the splined plastic drive shafts tend to twist with moderate abuse.

I thought about 4WS to deal with the turning radius. No doubt it would help but not to scale looking. the CR01 was the truck that introduced me to scale builds. I found myself driving it more often than some of my more capable crawlers simply because I thought it looked cool moving through the rocks. I now have a Hilux & SCX Honcho.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, my wife is a professional photographer and she loves doing shoots of my trucks.
The drive shafts are on the list of upgrades. I might try to epoxy the plastic ones and see how long they hold up, but as soon as they go steel it is.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default the shaft(s)

i have had great success with these steel prop shafts:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Steel-Main-Shaft...#ht_2170wt_935

plus it's a US seller so you're gonna get em quick.
cheap as chips too!
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Good to know of some other options. I had junfac prop shafts and I usually like there stuff but the shafts exploded after only a few minutes of use & got no response from Junfac trying to replace parts. I have orded the Tamiya steel from Hong Kong & have had good results. It does take a little longer to arrive but has cool stamps on the package.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I think I'm going to try to modify a set of Traxxas steel shafts for the Maxx trucks to work in the FJ. If they held up to the Mamba Monster 2200 then I think they can handle anything the rocks may bring.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I just got one of these for christmas too, built it up over the last few days and man this thing is cool. I always had rc cars when I was growing up, but this thing takes the cake. Can't believe what it can do. I have a bunch of rocks in my basement that work great for it. as far as the turning radius is concerned: it is big.
1natehundred is offline   Reply With Quote