Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Roof Rack Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

Default Roof Rack Help

Aloha All!
I finally made the plunge this week,just got my new Tamiya CR-01 Land Cruiser. I love it!! This thing is awesome, No regrets...

I have a few questions though and was hoping maybe some of you could answer. The rig was completely stock, RTR in the box as I bought it from tamiysusa. I'd like to purchase a roof rack for it and possibly have one with a few lights on top. Is there a certain brand or style you could suggest, pro's or con's on them maybe, metal or plastic?
Also I'd like to upgrade the shafts from the stock plastic to maybe metal, I read this is a good thing. Any brand better than the other?
The last thing I was thinkning about getting a skid plate to keep the plastic from getting chewed up, can you suggest one of those as well.
Thanks for the help..
MLC
mauilavacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

welcome to the club! this chassis is a lot of fun.
roof rack i would suggest proline, metal is good, but the plastic they use is pretty tough, i have had no probs.
lights, proline aswell, the only problem is the individual units snap off on a role, so you'll have to sort out a cover of some sort(see image below)
as for shafts, many have diffent ideas, all very good, myself i went for a set of GPM, they go for about $20 including shipping on the bay.
the only skid plate you might need would be for the front axle to protect the steering links, may don't bother though.
these are just my opinion, perhaps others will chime in.
Photobucket
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #3

Thanks cydog! I was liking that rack but wasn't sure I wanted to go plastic, looks very realistic though and good price so maybe.. Is that a proline light bar as well? and if so did it mount to the rack easily? Are the lights functional on yours?
I like the cover you made for the light bar, looks like it supposed to be there.

oh ya I more question for ya'all - Can I just plug in more lights to the Tamiya LED Light Unit Kit I have that came on the truck?

Last edited by mauilavacrawler; 02-01-2011 at 12:15 AM.
mauilavacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I have a Pro-Line rack and light bar as well. It used to look like this

but I promptly broke one of the light buckets off when I rolled it. So I bought an RPM lightbar and ziptied it to the front of the rack. The RPM bar is built with a rollbar all around it so you can never break a light off. I also painted the inside of the RPM light buckets silver for a little more reflectivity since they just came in all black plastic

860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

if tyou're not into fab'ing something, this seems to be the way to go, clever tip on painting the inside silver, it REALLy makes a difference, much brighter.
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote