Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Shortening The Wheelbase? Theory to Shortening the links?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Angry Shortening The Wheelbase? Theory to Shortening the links?

OK, there is really only one thread on here about shortening the CR-01's wheelbase and it's not really very specific (or I'm dumb. Maybe both.). This one... Shortened Wheelbase

I want to make the wheelbase fit the Tamiya Bronco body for a more correct scale look. I tried just shortening the rear links all the same amount and that did not work, it bound like mad. Then I just started cutting like an idiot, trying to figure out the proper geometric formula to no avail.

So, has anyone shortened the wheelbase as much as an INCH? That's a lot, but the wheelbase of the body is 10", almost 1.5" shorter than the stock wheelbase.

Can you give step by step instructions for a moron and show pics of where you actually connected the links to the chassis and axles? Also, I will not be running the cants, just scale looking shocks.

Thanks!

Signed,
Frustrated
KIRK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #2

Nobody?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #3

hey man i dont know but i got a question for you! how do you measure the wheelbase on an rc? is it the middle of the axle?
scaleok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleok View Post
hey man i dont know but i got a question for you! how do you measure the wheelbase on an rc? is it the middle of the axle?
Yes. Center to center.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I would think that shortening it up any further than stock would really make it tippy, why not look for a body that fits the wheelbase better? The HPI d90 and proline 2 door JK are perfect fits without adjusting your wheelbase.
322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I didn't respond because I haven't tried doing it yet. I was going to follow that directions in that thread. If I remember right he takes off 9mm on either ends of the links. you don't mention if you move the mount on top forward but if you didn't that would explain binding.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote