RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya CR-01 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-cr-01/)
-   -   CR01 question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-cr-01/340388-cr01-question.html)

minicrawler1 10-03-2011 03:40 AM

CR01 question

Hey guys,
I'm just about to get started with my CR01 build.
Is it a good idea to leave the stabilisers out?
I want it to perform really well on the rocks,and somehow i think these will limit its capabilities?

If anyone has anymore tips and tricks for it,please let me know!!

Thanks

OSRC 10-03-2011 05:41 AM

In stock form, doesn't really make much of a difference either way - suspension is limited far more by design than anything the swaybars have to do with it. Odd (but interesting) design. Once you start modifying, they are usually the first to go, along with the cantilever set-up.

SteveVanB 10-03-2011 07:25 AM

I just built one and used the sway bars. After about 5 mins. I yanked 'em out. You can get them out after it's built, no big deal. Try 'em if you'd like, but if I was to do it over, I'd leave 'em out. Also, I'd leave the whole canti. system out all together......

Gunngee 10-03-2011 07:56 AM

Yep. I ran the stock canti-lever setup the first 2 times I went out. I then bought traxxas shocks removed the entire canti-lever system and it made a huge differance. I had to put in a limiting strap to stop the rear end from dropping so much that my drive shaft would bind. I would also recommend switching over to traxxas drive shafts as well. I'm on my 3rd Tamiya rear shaft already.

mobias 10-03-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicrawler1 (Post 3309401)
Hey guys,

I want it to perform really well on the rocks,and somehow i think these will limit its capabilities?

The entire chassis design limits the trucks capabilities I'm afraid. As others have said, ditch the over complicated canti suspension at the first opportunity. If you really want to make the CR-01 perform on the rocks then put on axle wideners and extend the wheelbase with longer links. This helps offset the high centre of gravity of the chassis somewhat. Means you end up spending more money on an already expensive kit though.

minicrawler1 10-12-2011 01:50 PM

Whatwould be good shocks if i were to lose the Cantilevers?
Assembled one of the axles today and this is kinda bugging me.....
If i spin the pinion by hand it just doesn't feel right,to tight and to loud?

Anyone experienced the same problem?

Thanks

Gunngee 10-12-2011 06:25 PM

I thought the same thing when I assembled mine. As long as it's greased then I wouldn't worry about it. After a few runs it's smooth. I'm not sure what other people have done but I just used traxxas shocks. I am also switching over to traxxas drive shafts as well as I'm on my third rear drive shaft.

OSRC 10-13-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicrawler1 (Post 3323847)
Assembled one of the axles today and this is kinda bugging me.....If i spin the pinion by hand it just doesn't feel right,to tight and to loud?

Mine was a little tight at first, though it broke in after a run or two. Common issue with CR axles.

DRW-FJ40 10-13-2011 07:17 AM

Same here. You can find a lot of threads where people took them apart, put them back together, studied the directions only to find that, yea they do that.

minicrawler1 10-17-2011 12:46 PM

Got it all finished up,and fixed the axle problem!
Now i"m just waiting on my electronics!!!!!!

But i did notice that the stock shocks are allready leaking!!!!!
What is a good aftermarket shock if i want to keep the cantilevers?

Thanks

Nitro_Geezer_UK 10-17-2011 04:51 PM

If you look at the pics of my cr01 build you'll see that you can lengthen the wheelbase without making longer links. I have only changed the front top links.

DRW-FJ40 10-18-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicrawler1 (Post 3331843)
Got it all finished up,and fixed the axle problem!
Now i"m just waiting on my electronics!!!!!!

But i did notice that the stock shocks are allready leaking!!!!!
What is a good aftermarket shock if i want to keep the cantilevers?

Thanks

I put some integy shocks on mine. they haven't leaked & look nice & reasonably priced. The top mounts aren't bolt on, have to tweak it a bit.

minicrawler1 12-01-2011 06:30 PM

I finally bought my Gmade zero shocks!!!!
I assembled them yesterday and one thing i noticed immediately that they are very stiff?i used the supplied oil in them.

Anybody have the same problem?

Thanks