Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: 3wd?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #1

Default 3wd?

Hey everyone,

New to the forums in terms of posting but have been reading and visitng for a while now. I was helping you folks could help diagnose an issue I experienced over the weekend in order to save me some time and aggravation in term sof fixing the issue.

Background:

I have an FJ40 CR01 which was built stock. Electronics are an EZ Run 35T system running 3S Lipo. Drivetrain is stock and the diffs were built with the "locked" option.

Issue:

While playing in the mud and some trails, I noticed that my front right wheel was turning independently from the front left. There isn't any grinding or noise, but the front right seems to freewheel. If I lift the truck up and apply throttle, both spin the same, but under load the front left will try and chew through the mud, but the front right stops. Is this a symptom of the locking pin coming out of the diff? Are there other ways to diagnose drivetrain issues?

While it is apart, I am going to install the Tamiya Drive shaft Hop Ups since I already have them, even though I ahven't had an issue to date. I am also interested in ditching the cantilevers and adding Traxxas shocks. Does anyone know which is the "best" size/length to buy? Do I need any special mounting hardware?

Thanks,

Mark
VancouverFJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 3wd?

Your front diff splints where the axle goes into the center differential has stripped, and therefore the axle shaft can grip the center diff leaving you in 3WD, buy the CR-01 upgraded difflock from Tamiya, it fits well and is super strong , I run it in my CR, hope this helps
Landcruiser 110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #3

Do you know the part number by chance? Thanks for the info.

Mark
Old 01-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

No, but jut search CR-01 driveshaft in eBay and it will come up with
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

take the wheel off, it might simply be the pin at the end of the dog bone has sheered off, happened to me, simple fix is drill it out and pop a wheel hex pin in. if you need further instruction PM me and i'll give you my #, i'm in vancouver. as for shocks i believe 90-100mm is your best bet, you could fab up some mounts or mount them on an angle. check this forum for ideas. this one is good, i think i will do the same when i can afford shocks:

upon further read i think Landcruiser 110 is correct, toss the reinforced joints in there and you'll be set. i have been VERY pleased with mine, and i BEAT my rig.
ps. i have a great spot in UBC if you make it out there.
cy.
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #6

Thanks guys. I have the reinforced parts on order. Haven't pulled it apart yet, but I'm certain it's not the pin on the dog bone because sometimes it turns, but just not when a little load is applied.

Cydog,

Might have to try out UBC even though it is a bit of a drive for me.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Yea mine spun smoothly when off te ground but as soon as it touched the ground it had no power going to it what's so ever, so stuck the reinforced shafts and haver had a single problem
Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I had the same problem happen with my rear diff. You may want to rip it apart and double check that the pin used for locking the diffs hasn't backed out like mine did. If it has I just used some brake clean to get rid of the grease let it dry thoroughly and re-apply thread locker and re-grease.

Last edited by Gunngee; 01-11-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Gunngee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #9

Took a quick look at the truck tonight. Still ahven't pulled the wheel or axle off, but had read about tires slipping on the wheel so decided to check that. Not the problem as far as I can tell. I did notice that when I pick the truck up off the ground and spin the fornt right wheel, it just free wheels (the dog bone spins as well). If I try that with any of the other wheels, every wheels turns. Looks like the parts I ordered should fix the problem.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #10

Finally got around to pulling the wheel. The pin that engages the hex had fallen out. It amazes me that the pin can fall out yet the wheel wasn't loose???

Anyway, I had a spare pin so I put that in and all was good. While I was tinkering, I installed the bent front and lower links. They look sweet. Haven't installed the re-inforced drivetrain yet because I wanted to run the truck. In a few weeks I will tear it down and install the re-inforced drivetrain and the hardened driveshafts too.

Thanks everyone,

Mark
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Thats strange that the hex pin can fall out but the wheel never loosened up. I haven't experienced that one yet
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog510 View Post
as for shocks i believe 90-100mm is your best bet, you could fab up some mounts or mount them on an angle. check this forum for ideas. this one is good, i think i will do the same when i can afford shocks:
Nice ride, is it yours?

Be nice if you credit the person who's pic you linked to. I love opening random threads and finding my pics reposted without permission or credit.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

no it's not mine. some other guy/gal who modded their CR-01.
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Nice ride, is it yours?

Be nice if you credit the person who's pic you linked to. I love opening random threads and finding my pics reposted without permission or credit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog510 View Post
no it's not mine. some other guy/gal who modded their CR-01.
OSRC is the owner
carlos46 is offline   Reply With Quote

3wd? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3wd ESForeman450 Duratrax Cliff Climber 8 03-31-2009 06:55 AM
3WD Scorpion 00Silverado General Crawlers 3 09-22-2005 09:58 AM