Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: New shoes for the CR01 and other things...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default New shoes for the CR01 and other things...

I put some short barrel springs on & switched out the RC4WD tires to Flat Irons & performance improved dramatically. The RC4WD tires just raised the CG too much. The stance with the short barrel springs looks good, I think:

It seems like the changes exageratted the WB issue with the FJ40 body:

I'm either going to bite the bullet, tear it apart & shortten the links, etc.

Or... Got a RC4WD T-Runner body & WB looks like a perfect match:

DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New shoes for the CR01 and other things...

Looks great! Those barrel springs really make a difference.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Looks great! Those barrel springs really make a difference.
Thanks. It's amazing what it will do with these updates. I had it out last night for the first time since switching out everything & was going over stuff I haven't been able to manage since I had a comp crawler.

I had planned to follow in your footsteps and get another CR01 & put the 4Runner body on it. I may still do that but budge won't allow for another right now & when I set that body on the chassis, I really liked it.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Looks great.
And the body from rc4wd... (Yota Runner?)
I look forward to continuing
carlos46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Funny, I'm following in yours and just ordered a short spring set for my jeep - really like how that chassis sits. I did notice there are 6 springs per set...assume they are 3 different spring rates?

on a side note, I tore Betty all the way down, swapped axles with the jeep, and planning to rebuild into ...something....not sure what yet though. just kind of free floating with some spare parts at the moment.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos46 View Post
Looks great.
And the body from rc4wd... (Yota Runner?)
I look forward to continuing
Thanks Carlos & It's the RC4WD Trunner which I think is different than the yota runner. I'm not certain but there is one body that comes on a trail finder chassis & looks sort of lame. This one is on RPP for $70 & looks a bit more detailed. I do have the L80 body that you had on yours at one time but I think I'm going to put that on a SCX10 chassis.

Quote:
Funny, I'm following in yours and just ordered a short spring set for my jeep - really like how that chassis sits. I did notice there are 6 springs per set...assume they are 3 different spring rates?

on a side note, I tore Betty all the way down, swapped axles with the jeep, and planning to rebuild into ...something....not sure what yet though. just kind of free floating with some spare parts at the moment.
Yes, 3 different spring ratings, so if you wanted the same rate on F/R you would need two. I put soft on front & medium on back.

I started pulling links & stuff off last night to shorten the wheelbase & even with the cant mounts moved up one hole, it looked too long & I don't think my drive shaft can go short enough. What I really feel like I need to do it right is a shorter drive shaft & ditch the cants and go with something similar to your rig. Didn't want to put more $ in it right now so I think I'll go with the 4 runner body & on my next CR01, I'll do cantless & FJ40 body.

If I go with a 4runner body though I won't have an FJ40 in my fleet & will have to change my user name to DRW-4runner....
Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

There are 2 mount holes for the tranny, can you move it up a set to accomodate your driveshaft? When I built Betty I had the tranny mounted in the rearmost holes, and my rear driveshaft shaft angle was very tight. I thought it was part of the design, and didn't even notice there were 2 mount locations until I built the jeep.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
There are 2 mount holes for the tranny, can you move it up a set to accomodate your driveshaft? When I built Betty I had the tranny mounted in the rearmost holes, and my rear driveshaft shaft angle was very tight. I thought it was part of the design, and didn't even notice there were 2 mount locations until I built the jeep.
I wondered about that possibility. The lower links don't move real smooth in the forward chassis plate location. They need to be cut to do it right. I noticed the same thing on the drive shaft angle & it becomes more extream as you move the axle forward. I thought about moving the body posts back a bit too. This is seeming more and more like a winter project.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well, Don't want to get into painting my 4 runner body just yet & I really don't like the idea of not having an FJ in my stable. Don't want to deal with shortening the WB right now, too many unfinished projects at the moment. so....

Here is my solution:

Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

brilliant! looking forward to seeing it completed! good work.
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Well, I guess that solves the WB problem!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well, I guess that solves the WB problem!
well, it did, but only temporarily.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

may have to shave those links just a tad...lol!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

So I mounted up my barrel springs (hard front, medium rear to start), and the suspension is much, much stiffer. May go med/soft, just bench testing it it seems like it is really going to limit articulation. Not sure if i need to lighten up my shock oil now or what but it is much stiffer.

Did you notice that when you installed your springs? I noticed yours sits much lower as well...mine is not much different height-wise from stock.

Waiting for the weather to cooperate a bit for a test run.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Did you notice that when you installed your springs?
Sorry man, didn't notice this till I went to update the thread with some exciting news. I'm sorry to say that too much time has gone by and I don't remember... hell I can't even remember where my keys are & I had them last night. anyway, I have a feeling you aren't running these anymore anyway.

Exciting news! I had been trolling the bay for a Pro-line Dodge Powerwagon body with no luck & a friend who was over crawling took note of the story & next time he was over... he gave me one. New in the plastic bag.

I never thought I would deviate from my Toyota themed bodies but if there is one american made truck that would sway me, it's the old powerwagon.

Ordered paint yesterday, I'm going to do gunmetal gray with metalic red fenders with gold pinstripe on the fenders. I'm going to try and mask the running lights above & put 3mm amber LEDs in & the bed lends itself real well do putting a real wood facade bed in so that's in the plan as well.

Sorry no pics yet, just excited about the project.

Wheelbase looks real close. closer than the FJ40 anyway. The T-runner body is on the workbench. almost finished. It's been slow going as I was pretty dissapointed in the body. the detail is lacking, lexan is thin, kinks in the body, big wave effect on the rocker panels. It did redeem itself somewhat with the grill & bumper being add on detailed plastic pieces but the way they attach, it's obvious that this body isn't going to stand up to much abuse & it's not detailed enough for a shelf queen body. next season the 4 runner will be the basher body & powerwagon will be the video body.

Do I have to change my user name if I don't have an FJ40 in my stable? I might not be able to let that happen.

someone soon, I predict, is going to mold that Aoshima body. TF3??

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 09-22-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

No worries. I am still running the springs actually. Like the stance, but the lower GC really hurts. Seems fine when I went out wheeling, think my worries were overblown. Debating canning the jeep body for now and looking for a pick-up - something not as tall.

I think as long as you have an FJ40 in the house somewhere, that qualifies. Powerwagon project - AWESOME! will be keeping an eye out for it.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I painted up a rc4wd 4runner body & just not real impressed with it. The Powerwagon is a nice body. Thick body, lots of customization potential. my paint was back ordered
Old 05-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Been working on a new body... finally got around to painting the 80 series... a very nice body I might add. A little thin for my tastes and a tad on the small size... I'm guessing around 1:11 but detail is nice and I've never seen better stickers. The moulding around the window stickers fit real nice & apply heat gun and they conform real nicly.

Photos soon. Power Wagon body is still sitting on the shelf. It's nice and I will finish it but my 4 year old is "training" on the CR01 & I'm gonna leave it on the shelf for a while.

This is my 3rd boy to learn on the CR01. My oldest now has a gelande & middle one SCX10.

Anyway, here is where I left off... N00b was down last summer with his beautiful 4runner so I had to take some of mine. We were making fun of it... poor CR01... it doesn't deserve this abuse.

I thought the T-runner body would be good for the kids to beat on but I couldn't stand looking at it... ugly. Had to put the old FJ40 body on.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking! Glad to see this truck still roaming the course!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Takes a licking and keeps on ticking! Glad to see this truck still roaming the course!
Thanks! And I still have those aluminum pieces you sent me in a Ziploc bag... along with a kazillion other unfinished projects... one of these days.

Hope to get the 80 series land cruiser body on this weekend and do some playing.