Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: CR01 on the way

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default CR01 on the way

So I ordered up a CR01 Bronco yesterday. Anything during the build I should change from the instruction manual while assembling the truck? Thanks
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: CR01 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
So I ordered up a CR01 Bronco yesterday. Anything during the build I should change from the instruction manual while assembling the truck? Thanks
Welcome to the club! It's a fun build and a fun truck.

If it were me.... having built one.... I would order Tamiya locked diffs for both axles and steel drive shafts. Unless you have money to burn, that's the changes I would make at the building stage & then upgrade things like C hubs as needed. The stock diffs lasted me a long time but the axles have more screws than most & have to be completly dissasembled to switch out the locked diffs.

I use Tamiya Carbon steel drive shafts. they work great but if you shorten the wheelbase, there are others that may work better. OSRC will probably add his opinion on this, I think he uses Wraith shafts and they have a bit more leeway than tamiyas.

Wheelbase shortening is an issue of body fit (at least to me) & the Toyota body is too short for the stock chassis. Not sure about the bronco.

A lot of people opt to ditch the cants. they are over complicated but that really doesn't come into play unless you are modifying things & then regular 100mm shocks make it easier. If you do choose to stay with the cants, I like the short barrel springs but they aren't neccessary.

My next one, I'll ditch the cants & fabricate a tower & run shocks just for scale looks & to simplify the process of shortening the wheelbase.

stock shocks do leak but it's not a huge deal. I ran mine dry for 2 years & then upgraded to Integy.

Aluminum C hubs do help improve turning radius over the stock ones. 4WS does as well. I don't do the 4WS because I don't like the way it looks. but to each his own,

again congrats, this is one of my favorite trucks. I've learned not to say "you'll love it" but I do.

post pics.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

p.s. a couple of common things that people run into on this build is axle grind. there is a slight imperfection in the bevel gears in the axle & it doesn't feel as smooth as it should. It's normal & smooths out after a few packs.

The other thing is pay close attention when attaching axles to chassis. a lot of people get one upside down & wheels turn oposite directions. Not a huge deal, but requires a lot of dissasembly.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

DRW-FJ40, thanks for the time you put into your reply. A couple of questions. Are diff lockers, front and rear, not included in the kit or are they just weak? Where can the improved lockers be purchased? Is it favorable to shorten the wheel base, why? Thanks for the tip on getting the axles on the right way.

I'm really looking forward to this truck. I built an original Clodbuster years ago and ran the tires off of it. It really held up well for it being mostly plastic. I changed the shocks and added lockers to that also along with a couple of stronger servo's (at the time). Eventually got rid of the 4WS.

Thanks again.

Joe
Old 05-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I dont have much to add, DRW-FJ40 covered it nicely.

Diff lockers are available at Tower, Ebay etc. They are not rare or anything, they are around if you look for them. (Tamiya PN 54108 ) The stock axles lock via a locking pin, though it can wear a bit after some time and develop some slop. Just much easier to add the HD lockers during the build, though you certainly don't have to right away. DRW-FJ40 is right, there's a lot of screws to take off to get in there. I enjoy the wrenching, though not everyone does.

Stock center driveshafts are very weak - not sure what Tamiya was thinking using soft plastic. I have both 3racing and Wraith shafts both seem to work well, though the wraith shafts come in long and short so they are a bit more flexible to work with. Got mine on Ebay from one of the chop shops so they came complete with both long and short shafts. Both are light years ahead of the stock shafts.

The bronco kit has the best tires out of the bunch, though they can slip in the stock beadlocks. A small rubber band as shown below will help lock it in. Been running this set-up for a while and has help up perfect. Simple and cheap! (just push it down into the bead channel, it's pushed up for photo purposes)

One piece of advice I have is there is a huge mamma jamma bearing on the planetary in the transmission...you'll know it when you see it. Make sure it is seated fully or the tranny can bind up...and it's a mother to get on there - at least both of mine were. I used a vice and rubber mallet and gently gently gently tapped it all the way home.

Any metal to metal connections should have threadlock, but Tamiya goes overboard with it and uses it everywhere, and the red TL is overkill. Do yourself a favor and pick up a small tube of blue threadlock. Still holds the screws, but doesn't bind them up like the red does - you'll thank me later when you need to disassemble something. The red is great threadlock, just a bit much for an electric kit.

Make sure your tranny is mounted the right way....There are 2 sets of mounting holes on the tranny plate and I put mine in the wrong holes. It was too far forward and had some clearance issues with the upper links and the motor. I had no idea until I saw how much room was on someone else's build, and realized I had it in the wrong holes.

Other than that, take your time and enjoy the build.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
RCC Addict

OSRC, another great reply. I will order the diff lockers as soon as I finish here, thanks for the Tamiya PN. I hear you on the trans plate, I installed my TF2 electronics plate too far forward the first time and couldn't understand why it wouldn't fit over the transmission. Can't wait till it shows up. I'll use the rubber band trick too.

Thanks, Joe
Old 05-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Hey Joe, The only reason to shorten the wheelbase, in my opinion, is too make it match the body. the FJ40 landcruiser body is too short on the CR01 chassis so a lot of people who use this body want to shorten it to make it look right.

But just to be clear, the only thing that is going to fail quickly is the plastic drive shafts. Everything else can be upgrades or replace as needed.

and your welcome for the detailed response. the CR01 seems to have a cult like following. it doesn't really fit into any catagory well but those of us who like 'em, wouldn't give 'em up.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
RCC Addict

OK, thanks for the reply. I've ordered the Bronco, maybe it fits the wheel base differently. I ordered the stronger diff locks from Tower but they were out of the Integy shafts. I'll look on the bay for the Tamiya carbon steel.

I found two carbon steel shafts, 85 mm and 95 mm. Which ones would you recommend?

Last edited by raceeng18; 05-08-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

85mm is rear:

Tamiya America Item #54112 | RC CR01 85mm Steel Prop Shaft - Carbon

& 95mm are front:

Tamiya America Item #54113 | RC CR01 95mm Steel Prop Shaft - Carbon

I have Integy shocks which I picked up for $25 or so for 4 on eBay. they are pretty nice for the $.

Alloy Shock Set (4) for Tamiya CR01 for R/C or RC - Team Integy

As far as the body wb goes, the FJ40 was one of the first bodies for the CR01 & it never did fit right. not sure what the story is there but.... hopefully the Bronco is better. It's not off by much but after a while, it starts to bug ya.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

p.s. the beadlock thing that OSRC mentioned is an easy fix & some people don't have a problem but keep it in the back of your mind because when it does happen you drive yourself crazy trying to figure out where your drivetrain is slipping & the tires are just spinning on the rims & fix is easy.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Thanks again for all of the help. I have the shafts ordered now and I received an email that said the truck should be here tomorrow. It's going to be a good week-end. Now to think of a paint color.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Well my truck finally showed yesterday. Along with it in the mail were the prop shafts and stronger lockers. I'll start the build Monday morning.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

DRW-FJ40 and OSRC did a GREAT job breaking it down!
if you are gonna keep the cantilever system, i would suggest the zip-tie method to eliminate the slop/bounce in the arms. i cannot find the thread but will add images when i have a chance. you're gonna be pleased you got the HD lockers before you built the axles! a few others and i have had some difficulty with the stock bevel gears (i have broken 3-4 sets) i ordered this and it fit and has been doing well for me:
STEEL BEVEL OUTPUT SHAFT T-Rex 60 D35 D40
one of the busted ones:
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
RCC Addict

You're right cydog510, I'm sure I'll be glad I listened. Here is what I'll be starting with tomorrow morning. I don't know if I should start a build thread (you've all seen them before) or just start from here with pics once in a while.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Throw up some pics...the CR thread is kinda quiet. I'm envious of your monday morning plan! Sure beats sitting here at work (not that I'm doing a lot at the moment... )
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
RCC Addict

OK, here are a couple from this morning.

Last edited by raceeng18; 05-14-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Yea, cydog mentioned the stock bevel gears cracking. It must have been a bad lot because I've heard of others having that issue & mine went for years before I replaced them for other reasons.

Yes, it looks like more fun than my Monday too.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
RCC Addict

So I got a little more done this morning, but why are my springs bowed like this?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Good start, dude. When I first looked at the picture of the open diff, I thought you filled it with blue silicone... Hahahaha. That looks like some mean grease, what make is it? I also installed the diff locker kit. And it is a good bit of kit, much better than the stock parts, unless you want to run unlocked diffs. My mates CR-01 diff splines were so worn, he got his truck in a bit of a bind, and snap - 3wd for the rest of the day. Spline was completely striped when we opened the diff and checked.

Don't worry about the bent springs, when I built mine, it did the same. Get the cantilever arms connected to the axles, and everything will straighten up.

I like those main driveshafts...

Keep up the good work, and pictures...
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

One mod I do on all my cars, which I can recommend.

Aluminum lockable wheel adapters, they not a must, but I hate having to dig the plastic ones out of the rims when I swap rims on my cars. I have different sets of rims and tires for my CR-01, different weight, foam pattern, and tire brands. So on the trails, I sometimes like to change them, and fighting with the wheel adapters normally leads to me loosing the little pin to hold the adapter from spinning, and then it's game over for the day...
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

CR01 on the way - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cr01? davebarlow13 Tamiya CR-01 1 10-30-2009 02:07 AM
my little CR01 tibure Tamiya CR-01 6 09-18-2009 05:43 PM
My first cr01 josh97 Tamiya CR-01 6 06-09-2009 06:27 PM
My CR01 matador Tamiya CR-01 21 08-09-2008 09:52 PM