Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: New body for my CR01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New body for my CR01

Body looks fantastic so far. I'm planning to do a scratch-built external roll cage (like on the Traxxas Summit and a lot of Truck Trial machines). I have some plastic coat hangers and a heat gun. Haven't had a chance to start fabricating it yet.

And BTW, there is a picture of my truck in the picture thread, although it is admittedly in the configuration it was when I bought it (it had a Chevy Blazer body on it).
GraciousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Good idea with the plastic coat hangers. I did see your Cr01 in the picture thread. Good base to work from. But now you must start a build thread, I want close up pics of your chassis etc...
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Finished most of the decal work.

And here is a shot of the hidden magnetic locators. 2mm plastic ring slightly bigger than the magnet, with a thin steel plate glued to the back of it. Works great...

Now the next is the lights...
Old 04-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

The first outing for the Mog

I learnt a few things while playing with the CR01. Now just so everybody understands, I've had this truck for about 4 years, kitted it out with most of the hop-ups, and never played with it. Mostly because I used my CC01 or my SCX10. So on this outing, I decided to test the CR01 for a change, and to my surprise, it was awesome. Loved every minute of it. With the tall tires, and the cantilevers, she's a bit top heavy, but the challenge was just to position the truck correctly before attempting an obstical.

Things I learnt about the Unimog, firstly the magnet body mounting method was cool in one way because if I hit an object, or got in a bind the body would simply pop off. But bad in another because it didn't stop popping off and it became a bit irritating towards the end of the trail.

Possible fixes for that are mounting more magnets on the side of the body, and/or even some locating pins somewhere.

And then some touch ups to the paint, and lights, and she's ready for the next outing...
Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Good work, man. Good to see your truck out on the trail, where it belongs!

Project Mogfather has not been progressing too much lately because I've had to spend time working on the SCX10. It's my "daily driver" while the CR-01 is being built, and the SCX10 doesn't always get the TLC it needs. It's hard to balance time between a project truck and routine maintenance on your regularly used trucks. There is going to be a pretty major trail run here at the end of the month, and I want to have the SCX10 100% ready for that, so I'm working on that one for now.
GraciousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #26

good work I like it, is there ant problem with axle clearance? is all swamper tire have a same size?

sorry my bad angelish.
thank you
platinum306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum306 View Post
good work I like it, is there ant problem with axle clearance? is all swamper tire have a same size?

sorry my bad angelish.
thank you
The tires do rub a bit under full articulation, but not badly. I simply raised the body up one hole on the body post.

New body for my CR01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with mounting body onto CR01 ac7228 Tamiya CR-01 3 03-12-2012 05:35 AM
cr01 jeep body freelife04239 Tamiya CR-01 6 06-03-2009 01:01 AM
cr01 with unimog body theonek Tamiya CR-01 55 01-28-2009 04:56 AM
f-350 body on a cr01 ? boostang1 Tamiya CR-01 1 09-22-2008 11:22 PM