Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Cr-01 turning radius

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #1

Default Cr-01 turning radius

Hey new here on the forums. Greatings from Norway

Just build my first rc crawler a Tamiya cr-01 unimog.

And I love it!! But there is one problem, I has a turning radius as big as the moon!!

How can I fiks this! Its just horrible!!!

best regards
royalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Cr-01 turning radius

Hello and welcome to the forums. The most effective way to fix the turning radius is to go to a 4 wheel steering setup. The cr01 is easily modified to this configuration, as the necessary parts are in the kit (other than an extra servo of course). However, this is obviously added cost and complexity. It also makes the truck less "scale".

The other suggestion you'll see on here is a behind the axle "BTA" modification to set up the Ackerman angle on the front wheels to what it would be on a conventional open diff vehicle. I personally would not go that route. In another post, I explain why conventional Ackerman might not work on an axle with a locked diff. I freely admit that I have not tried the BTA modifocation, so I do not speak from personal experience. However, one of the knowledgeable posters on here, OSRC, has tried the stock Ackerman setup AND the BTA modification, and he says the stock setup does kn fact turn sharper.

Hope this helps!
GraciousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hello and welcome to the CR-01 Cult.

OSRC is one of the gurus of experimentation with the CR-01 so take his suggestions over mine.

But... I picked up these STRC knuckles and they helped quite a bit. Still don't have the turning capabilities of some of my other rigs but... for $15, it satisfied my needs.

Tamiya CR01
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Interesting point about the STRC steering knuckles. Did you have problems with dogbones popping out?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousOne View Post
Interesting point about the STRC steering knuckles. Did you have problems with dogbones popping out?
not at all. other than the drive shafts, it's been a real durable truck & I typically only upgrade when something breaks. In this case, I cracked one of the plastic C hubs & went to the aluminum and turning radius was just a bonus.

Just noticed you are from Nova Scotia. I just started a static model of the model shipways Bluenose Schooner. Early in my research I came to realize that every Canadian knows that ship well.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yes indeed. The Bluenose is on the Canadian dime, and is definitely synonymous with Nova Scotia.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
Hello and welcome to the CR-01 Cult.

OSRC is one of the gurus of experimentation with the CR-01 so take his suggestions over mine.

But... I picked up these STRC knuckles and they helped quite a bit. Still don't have the turning capabilities of some of my other rigs but... for $15, it satisfied my needs.

Tamiya CR01
Thanks for the link, my C-hubs could use a refresh and might as well replace the knuckles while I'm at it... and the bumper brackets. I already have the STRC rear axle lockouts and they've been great.

I hope these are pretty durable. I got 3R knuckles for my DF-03MS and they immediately bent the moment it hit the dirt. Obviously there a big difference between something going 30mph and taking a tumble and something going 2mph
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I generally run dirt skinny Integy knuckles.

The good? 5x11 bearings (ilo stock 5x10) and the skinny shape give more clearance for more steering.
The bad? They are really, really skinny. A good shot to the front wheels and they will bend. But I bought a bunch off Ebay for a whopping $8/pair, so I have a few spares. Fine for trail duty though.

The STRC parts are getting somewhat hard to find unfortunately. Very nice from what I've heard.

Agreed that the BTA mod did not help steering in any way - in fact, made it worse imo. The true limits on the system are the dogbones, they can only swing so far.

I had a top down pic somewhere, not sure where the heck I put it, so this direct shot will have to do:

Last edited by OSRC; 07-16-2014 at 07:40 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I did the 4ws, it was pretty easy to do and also managed to score some Integy hubs as well on fleabay - turns pretty quick. I'm not competing, just messing around so don't care about scale or not.

Here is a bit of 4ws for you!

D
Osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Just upgrading the steering servo on mine and also finally adding an external Bec. Reading l this thread I am now tempted to add aluminium knuckles too. The Km Racing parts are currently very well priced. Is there benefit in adding the hub carriers too? Also with my high torque servo (30kg/cm) is the aluminium servo bed also needed? I'm happy to do less than more but in 6 years the CR-01 has only had 10 packs through it. I'm keen to finally use and enjoy it.

Thanks
Richard
RichardinNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I just added a set of the KM knuckles and C-hubs - very nice parts. The stock servo bed has never given me a problem. As long as the endpoints are set correctly, should be fine.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

The KMRacing parts appear to be pretty chunky - the servo bed is cheap but thick alloy - it would certainly stop any flex induced in the plastic kit item when the servo is at full steer.

If you don't already have them then upgrading the steering rods to the Tamiya turnbuckle set is also a good upgrade - the set is pretty cheap at banzaihobby, and the rods are twice the thickness of the kit ones (I was rather surprised by how thin the kit ones are in comparison...

I'm building a second CR-01 chassis currently (I had so many kit parts left fromt he first build I worked out I could have a second for around $150, so why not !) - i'm using the KMRC, servo bed, knuckles and hubs again up front and the rear lockouts at the rear.

My first build is here if you wanted another look at the KMC parts (lower half of page 2 when the KM parts are used)...

Another CR-01 build

The prices are too good to ignore I think
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percymon View Post
The KMRacing parts appear to be pretty chunky - the servo bed is cheap but thick alloy - it would certainly stop any flex induced in the plastic kit item when the servo is at full steer.

If you don't already have them then upgrading the steering rods to the Tamiya turnbuckle set is also a good upgrade - the set is pretty cheap at banzaihobby, and the rods are twice the thickness of the kit ones (I was rather surprised by how thin the kit ones are in comparison...

I'm building a second CR-01 chassis currently (I had so many kit parts left fromt he first build I worked out I could have a second for around $150, so why not !) - i'm using the KMRC, servo bed, knuckles and hubs again up front and the rear lockouts at the rear.

My first build is here if you wanted another look at the KMC parts (lower half of page 2 when the KM parts are used)...

Another CR-01 build

The prices are too good to ignore I think
That is quite the difference in the steering rods from stock to upgrade... may have to include in that in my order to my Tamiya connection!

I'm the same in now having 2 CR01's! my buddy also bought one, but got too frustrated with building it so caved and picked up a Wraith. In his defence he managed to build it in approx 8hrs! but he also doesn't have a great amount of patience. SO... I got his Rock Socker CR01 for cheap + 4 servo's, 2 speed controllers and remote!
Osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Haven't looked at this in a while. The STRC pieces have been very durable. I've had 3 boys learn on this rig starting at age 4.... sounds rough but when I let a den of 8 year old cub scouts drive it, that was the test.

If I ever do replace them, those Integy parts would be my preference having read this.

P.S. that blue aluminum under the silver mog looks sweet!
Old 09-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Decided to order the hop-up tie rods from Banzai Hobby; plus short barrel springs and reinforced axles as I thought I may as well do those at the same time as my planned steering and rear end alterations (I have RC4WD straight axle adapters on the way already; they are end of line too and only $6.99).

I'd like to find some bargain aluminium servo mounts too; only $9.99 at Banzai but out of stock...anyone seen them at that price elsewhere?

Thanks
Richard
Old 09-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Radio Control Car Hobby Store, News, Reviews | AsiaTees will have servo mounts by topcad / 3racing / GPMRacing

you could also try STRC or KMRC ?
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Ordered the orange servo mounts from AsiaTees. Thanks for the information....will stip them when I get them (no dark colours in stock and the orange were cheaper than the others).

Thanks, Richard
Old 09-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Just heard from Banzai; the turn buckles are now out of stock. Their price was far cheaper than elsewhere so currently looking for a cost effective alternative. The GPM titanium kit looked good, but yet to find that in stock anywhere! The frustration is that with the straight axle conversion I'll only need 1/2 of any kit I buy!

Richard

Cr-01 turning radius - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turning radius? sandrocks Axial Wraith 6 01-25-2013 09:53 PM
turning radius ken webb Newbie General 5 10-23-2010 12:48 PM
Turning Radius...??? biggin69 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 07-17-2008 11:08 PM
Turning radius PROTOTYPE General Crawlers 4 08-12-2007 09:36 PM
turning radius DumpsterRC Newbie General 1 03-29-2007 09:58 AM