Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Another CR-01 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 04:42 AM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Another CR-01 build

Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Coming together very nicely!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Many thanks - hopefully will have it done this week !
Old 08-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Well pretty much done - maiden shake down run earlier today. Funny how you realise you still have bits of detailing left to do when you stare at photos (hood catches)..

Old 08-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #65
Rock Stacker

Osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the thumbs up
Old 09-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Quick update - not run this since the photos were taken, mainly because I've been busy rebuilding an Axial EXO.

When tidying up the hobby bench after this build I looked at all the unused kit parts - tyres, wheels, hubs/knuckles, side frames etc etc etc. I investigated the cost of buying parts to build up another chassis, but it was getting perilously close to the price of another kit. Fortunately another TamiyaClub member had built his CR-01 up around the same period as me, but he'd used the high lustre chassis rails, hop-up axles shafts and high clearance lower links. A deal was done so with the axles shafts and chassis rails in the bag I searched out the remaining parts; one German Tamiya dealer had all i needed and prices were better than the UK so I took the plunge - $165 later I had all i needed

I'd intended to build the second chassis absolutely stock, but I couldn't resist buying agin the KMRC hubs , knuckles and servo bed - this time i also bought the rear lockouts (for a cleaner look). The second chassis is almost built up, waiting on a servo and motor pinion (have a rebuildable 50T crawler motor in this one).

Will post some pics when I have the chassis fully built.

Not sure what to do for a body - I've always liked the 'mog so I'm leaning towards that currently
Old 09-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

It gets additive. I have 3....lol. Only parts I bought were links and driveshafts, had all the rest from hopping up the other 2 plus some axles I picked up here as spares.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

After we PM'ed about your Wraith, I just connected the dots that I was following this thread of yours. I love what you've done with your FJ, particularly the distressed look. I just got mine running a couple of weeks ago but went shiny with the paint job. Your paint job is inspiring me to go weathered with my next build (most likely a TF2 to start in a couple of weeks). Having said that, the CR-01 is an absolute riot, and I completely get the temptation to build a second. I was cracking up at your description of extra parts. I have a ton from my build also, and that's not even counting what I'll have when I go all in with aluminum for the cantilever suspension, which I'm definitely keeping. I'm probably also closer than I realize to having enough parts to build a second. If I were going to do another one, the Unimog would be tempting, but so would the Jeep hardbody. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

^^ The jeep body is nice, but all that weight up top comes at a cost, especially on a vehicle that is already top-heavy. Pro-Line's jeep body looks almost as good, and it far lighter. Something to bear in mind.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:17 AM   #71
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
After we PM'ed about your Wraith, I just connected the dots that I was following this thread of yours. I love what you've done with your FJ, particularly the distressed look. I just got mine running a couple of weeks ago but went shiny with the paint job. Your paint job is inspiring me to go weathered with my next build (most likely a TF2 to start in a couple of weeks). Having said that, the CR-01 is an absolute riot, and I completely get the temptation to build a second. I was cracking up at your description of extra parts. I have a ton from my build also, and that's not even counting what I'll have when I go all in with aluminum for the cantilever suspension, which I'm definitely keeping. I'm probably also closer than I realize to having enough parts to build a second. If I were going to do another one, the Unimog would be tempting, but so would the Jeep hardbody. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do.
The pile of spare parts might be large and tempting, but its surprising how expensive some of the smaller items are - the tubes for the cantilevers for example. I looked to buy parts bag A but the best price I could find was around $110 shipped (plus risk of import duty). If I hadn't been able to buy the axle rods and chassis rails from another TC member the second build would have been dead in the water. Alternatively I could have just gone for a simple coil over set up, which would have been the only option for me if not for finding the cantilever tubes at a reasonable price at modellbau-seidel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
^^ The jeep body is nice, but all that weight up top comes at a cost, especially on a vehicle that is already top-heavy. Pro-Line's jeep body looks almost as good, and it far lighter. Something to bear in mind.
I have plenty of fears about running this body, never mind a hard ABS one The hard body does have a bit more detail, but to be honest the lexan FJ shell isn't too bad at all, you just need to pick out the details as required. I do like the Rubicon Jeep body you have on yours, I'm just not too sure of the fitment to a stock wheelbase CR-01 ? , or indeed whether I want another 'Jeep' style runner.

Last night I finished the second chassis (bar body posts which annoyingly means i need to buy 2 pairs of D parts sprues just to get the four D3 blocks that hold the posts to the cross members

Anyone have alternative suggestions ?

The alloy cross members are a great fit but they are noticeably heavier than the kit plastic items - I didn't weigh them, but it would be interesting to see how overall this chassis weighs in compared to the first one.

Overview of second chassis ''upgrades'' from stock..
KMRC front knuckles
KMRC front C hubs
KMRC rear lock outs
3Racing alloy chassis cross members
50T rebuildable brushed motor - nothing special, but seems pretty good for $20
Short barrel springs

Wheels weighted the same 70g each as the first build

One thing, even building this in isolation, is that this chassis is much lower than the first, before placing body and accessories on board - the barrel springs really have dropped it down (at loss of suspension travel).

The barrel springs are really secure in the kit plastic spring cups with the screw on side pieces - far better than when i tried them in the one piece alloy parts.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #72
Rock Stacker

Percymon, check your PM

D
Old 09-06-2014, 05:47 AM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteo View Post
Percymon, check your PM

D
Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Agreed on the body post setup, be nice if they were all on the same sprue. Some simple aluminum L brackets and stand up body mounts work good.

I used those same crossmembers, and they are indeed heavy. I like the look though, and it wasn't a high performance truck per-se so they stayed.

The PL jeep body fits the wheelbase better than the Tamiya one does. Its far too short.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:05 AM   #75
Pebble Pounder

Good call on the L brackets Dennis - wished I'd thought if that before buying the d parts - not to worry, the $13 won't break the bank and it'll be correct so probably better if I decide to sell this chassis on later ;)
Old 09-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #76
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percymon View Post
Good call on the L brackets Dennis - wished I'd thought if that before buying the d parts - not to worry, the $13 won't break the bank and it'll be correct so probably better if I decide to sell this chassis on later ;)
I think you are combining multiple conversations into one person! OSRC with the L brackets and me on the $13 parts!

D
Old 09-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #77
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteo View Post
I think you are combining multiple conversations into one person! OSRC with the L brackets and me on the $13 parts!

D

Killing two birds with one stone ??

Oops - sorry guys !
Old 09-17-2014, 05:12 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Default Another CR-01 build

Percymon and OSRC - you are officially bad influences. Realizing that I was fairly close to having enough spares to build a second and having come to love the cantilevers as I do, I stopped by RC Recycler (who happens to be located 10 mins from my office) for a TF2 body yesterday and picked up enough of the rest of what I need to build a second CR01 (I'll need to make links). May have to start a thread to get some ideas...
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #79
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Percymon and OSRC - you are officially bad influences. Realizing that I was fairly close to having enough spares to build a second and having come to love the cantilevers as I do, I stopped by RC Recycler (who happens to be located 10 mins from my office) for a TF2 body yesterday and picked up enough of the rest of what I need to build a second CR01 (I'll need to make links). May have to start a thread to get some ideas...

Addictive aren't they

Think I'm going with a Unimog body on my second one - always liked the look of the 'mog and this is my best opportunity to own one.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #80
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percymon View Post
Addictive aren't they

Think I'm going with a Unimog body on my second one - always liked the look of the 'mog and this is my best opportunity to own one.
I hear you on the Mog! I didn't even want to finish my Rock Socker Body, but decided to so I could use it just for bashing around and still don't like it much. I was debating on another Mog for bashing, but decided I liked the looks of OSRC's Bug Body!

Still hard to beat the Mog!

Another CR-01 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Bronco Kit Build; 1st Build Boxcarcustoms 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 07-29-2013 07:37 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM