Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Order Placed - Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #61
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Order Placed - Bronco

LOL.. Richard, if you think this build is addictive. You should see my 2 heli's, 2 F1 Cars, my 2WD buggy, 4WD Axial EXO, and my Sakura D3 drifter. My other half thinks I am crazy, but gives me full support
Measuredpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #62
Rock Stacker

Also, I am now eagerly awaiting snow even though summer just ended. I decided to use my proline beadlock rings as retainers. All of the links are clamped down except for one so that I can remove the chains with ease and also allows for some slack in the whole system. This is partly why I ordered wheel extenders.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #63
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measuredpath View Post
Also, I am now eagerly awaiting snow even though summer just ended. I decided to use my proline beadlock rings as retainers. All of the links are clamped down except for one so that I can remove the chains with ease and also allows for some slack in the whole system. This is partly why I ordered wheel extenders.

Now THOSE are just crazy!!!!!
Osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #64
Rock Stacker

I can't wait to use them Osteo! I took them partly from my EXO which won't see much winter time as I oddly enough do not like to get my vehicles wet due to the extra work in maintaining them. The CR-01 on the other hand is becoming the dirty one that I don't mind.

Quick update
I added the hop ups and the crawling improved a lot. Shorter barrel springs had me slightly worried for loss of clearance, but the impact wasn't great if you are using the wheels to line up your crawling.
I am hoping to get some footage in soon for all of you guys.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #65
Pebble Pounder

I have tire chains that I made for my SCX10 Honcho. I made them for the winter but for a laugh I tried them in the dry. And holy smoke do they work well! The only time they let you down is on WET rock. Yes, on dry rock they will actually work! Not as well as a super-gummy ruubber tire, of course, but still very, very respectable. The running I do is always on a variety of terrain - some mud, some sand, some hillclimbs, some rock, lots of water crossing, mud, etc. And for the bit they let you down on wet rock they more than make up for in the other situations. People laugh at me and say "Forget to take you snow chains off?", but skidders and lots of other all-terrain work vehicles run chains all year round.

Looking good!
GraciousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measuredpath View Post
...I oddly enough do not like to get my vehicles wet due to the extra work in maintaining them.
Me either. I'm the only guy in our club who picks up his truck and walks across the creek crossings. (I'm good for about 1 inch of water, after that it's hike time) - of course, I'm also the only one who's never cooked an electronic item on the trail or have had a bearing fail.

I do have 2 trucks set up for some winter fun- my Clod goes out and plays come winter, as well as my Wheely King. Both designs work well. CR01 #3 might get a run at it too. Don't mind snow as much as mud for some reason. Trucks do come back in awful clean, though the missus is not happy when I set them in the bath tub to melt off.

Great work on the chains BTW, our club usually runs them on snow runs.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #67
RCC Addict

I go as deep as the electronics tray as none of my batteries, ESC or receiver is waterproof. I will take a rip through snow though as it doesn't immediately melt onto everything.

The only time I ever had an issue is with my Grasshopper on the beach when I lived in CT. Hit a bump and set it off course straight into Long Island Sound. Had to open up my Spektrum receiver and the Tamiya ESC and rinse them out with clean fresh water. Yes they do still work after the cleaning!

sent from Galaxy S3
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #68
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, salt water is something I will NOT touch with a ten foot pole!!!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #69
MODERATOR™

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

My 5-year old keeps asking for an RC boat. I guess I should just let him use my FJ40. :thumbsup:
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #71
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post

Well, that is one way to get it clean!!

D
Osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #72
Rock Stacker

I love my dirt as it is less work to clean then a wet rig I will live vicariously through you.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #73
Pebble Pounder

I love the wet too much. Probably why I am replacing a bunch of axle bearings in my SCX10. But to be fair, they hadn't been serviced in nearly two years!!!! If I hadn't marine greased them, they would have died LONGGGGGGGGGG ago.

Having kids = no TLC for RCs. Oh well, it's worth it!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #74
RCC Addict

I haven't replaced a bearing in mine ever even though it sees regular water and snow in winter. I had to open the rear axle a few years back to replace the axle shaft that stripped on the splines and even the internal bearing were fine, no rust, everything was greased/oiled. The only thing I do is a few drops of Trinity bearing oil every month or so on any bearing I can see (ends of axles, driveshaft inputs, motor shaft, basically thats it)
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #75
Rock Stacker

I've seen my bearings rust and seize on my Axial EXO that goes through some rough and wet terrain. I've opted to just keep this CR-01 in less of the crap I put that through. Just don't have that much time to clean things up as I am a bit anal that way. I will actually tear down a rig if I ran it through stuff that it was protected against.

Here are some new parts I got in today so I could run my snow chains in the winter as I found out the chains hit the hubs and other important bits without greater offset.

Front has the increased offset and the rear is stock to show the difference. I was too excited to take better pictures My only concern is the added stress on components now and I might need to order new hubs and other bits as the leverage has been increased.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #76
Pebble Pounder

You are right - there's no free lunch. That increased offset puts a lot more strain on the hubs, etc.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #77
Rock Stacker

I am in the process of trying a few bumper options for both the front and rear. I know I'll need some fab work, but I have to get my winch I ordered in for measurements first. In the meantime here is some test fittings of my snow chains now that I have a wider offset (19+). I will need to put my taller springs back on and raise the front body mounts a bit to ensure good clearance.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:19 AM   #78
Rock Stacker

more parts

Old 11-27-2014, 12:12 AM   #79
Rock Stacker

Added a few more bits like a winch and a new bumper. I've also been going crazy over what tires and wheels to get and to be perfectly honest I don't want 1.9's as much I thought. So, I ended up painting my stockers and have some aluminum beadlock rings coming in.

I am a bit disappointed I am not using my aluminum crossmember I have. However, this ended up being the easiest solution. I added some spacers to move the metal bracket away from the crossmember to allow better clearance when the wheels are at full lock and the suspension is in a compressed state.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Nice work on that bumper!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Order Placed - Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Bronco bodys! Order now! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 08-07-2009 08:07 PM