Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Options for stripped CR-01 bevel gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Options for stripped CR-01 bevel gear

So I stripped my first CR-01 diff gear today (the small bevel on the shaft). I wasn't terribly surprised given the soft aluminum. So my question is what the options are for replacing with something more durable. I see that RC4WD makes a steel pinion, but I can't find anyone that makes a steel ring. I'm thinking that steel on aluminum probably wouldn't be a great option, as I would think that would be a recipe for stripping out the ring gear pretty quickly. Any suggestions other than keeping some spares on hand?

Last edited by new2rocks; 09-25-2014 at 09:03 PM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Options for stripped CR-01 bevel gear

I don't know of any at all, I run all the stockers in my trucks and keep a few around. Have yet to have one fail though.

Only ones I can think of that might work are the RC4WD F350/D35/D40 gears. I've never tried them, so I can't say for sure. Though the pinion gear is the same, it's the ring gear I'm not sure about. Might be hard to find, I think the ring gears are long out of production.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I don't know of any at all, I run all the stockers in my trucks and keep a few around. Have yet to have one fail though.

Only ones I can think of that might work are the RC4WD F350/D35/D40 gears. I've never tried them, so I can't say for sure. Though the pinion gear is the same, it's the ring gear I'm not sure about. Might be hard to find, I think the ring gears are long out of production.
Thanks, OSRC. That seems to be what I'm finding as I've scoured the internet and forums, so I'm going to order some spares with the replacement. I also pulled out a spare Axial ring/pinion set and will explore the possibility of modifying it to fit in the CR-01 axle housing, though that might be a stretch. Whatever I do, I definitely want to keep the cantilevers, because I absolutely love them on this truck.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I'm on my second front bevel gear and original rear with a 27T on 3s. I was looking for stronger alternatives when mine exploded on a 35T, but never came across any. It just sucks that we have to buy then entire 51326 kit for $20 just to get one part that will eventually fail again.

Please let us know if you come across something else that will work.
Dirty 'Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Don`t forget guys - there should be a bit of a resurgence in available spares since they released the CR-01 Rock Socker. Heck, that only came out 6 months ago or something like that. They have to be running another production run of parts. Someone at Tamiya may even have been smart enough to clue in to the fact that there is still demand for these parts.
GraciousOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Options for stripped CR-01 bevel gear - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stripped knuckle screw...options? jtessmer88 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 6 08-27-2014 02:25 PM
Bad Mesh on bevel gear and diff gear out of the box? Elliott000 Axial SCX-10 3 08-19-2011 06:37 PM
bevel gear, ring gear mesh rocksteadily Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 05-09-2009 12:04 AM