Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Osteo's Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Osteo's Build

First off, my name is Dennis and I am new to Crawling!

As with any true fairy tale ... many many years ago my buddy and I had RC cars, we raced, we tinkered and we eventually grew up and other bigger things started to take our money

But at around this time last year I met someone that is pretty high up in the RC industry here at home that could hook us up with Tamiya RC's if we so chose... so we decided to both get the new CR01's, figured we could tinker on them together when we had the time.

We waited for months for the Rock Socker to be released and as Canada was only slated for 10 units we got 2 of them!

Well, it took me a couple weeks to finally get mine built, but my buddy decided to not follow the instructions and started opening bags of screws, etc... out of order ... as we all know, HUGE mistake. Needless to say his frustration level grew and the mish mash of parts sat even longer in the box.

He then found Axial and dropped $500 and had it built and running in 10hrs! and sold me CR01 for a song.

I on the other hand was and am still quite happy with my CR01 but quickly realized I wanted a bit more out of it. Trolling around here seeing OSCR's and a few of the other guy's builds did not help matters much!

I managed to score a whole pile of new Integy parts off of Fleabay for $40 so they were installed shortly after the original build.

So, my plans began, I purchased more tools for my workshop (bandsaw) and finally got around to some cutting, bending and finally assembling!

Here are the pic's so far:

As the Rock Socker:

I quickly removed the sway bars out of it, and in these pictures the springs are stock out of the box as per the instructions.

But I really liked the Unimog body and actually had it painted and on the truck before the RS body.

That skid plate came as a set with front and rear I came across those here on the Forum from a guy in Newfoundland or somesuch. He made them a few years ago and as luck would have it still had one set kicking around. They came as flat pieces so it took me a fair bit of time to get the bends and angles right, being creative with my vice.

Next change was the tires, stock was ok, but after reading and more reading I settled on the Flat Irons and even out of the bag they compound is such a difference it is huge. Side by side comparison, neither tire is on a rim.

Did some shaving to the foam that came with the tires and it looked like this before installing:

I weighted the rims, off the top of my head I think they are 2.5oz per wheel. The space in between the weights is equal around the wheel so when rolling the wheel it rolls balanced.

And wheels mounted:

I have since purchased the aluminum beadlocks and the front tamiya Carbon/Steel driveshaft. The rear one (or is it the front??) is on backorder from Tamiya with no expected build/re-stocking date, so if you happen to find one somewhere and want Tamiya I suggest you get it as it does not sound like they are making anymore (again, this is from high up).

I did pick up the Axial driveshafts yesterday, will see how they work out (that is for later).

Anyway... came across a few threads on the Junfac Joker Chassis, which I just love the idea of, but again, rarer than hen's teeth so started eyeing OSCR's chassis build. Lots of questions to him later I decided to do the same, which is where i am now, finally assembling my first attempt.

It was a bit difficult tracing out the old frame rails onto flat aluminum due to the curves of the stock rails. In talking to OSCR his tranny sits 1" higher, but manages it with an Axial Tranny, as I don't have one yet, mine is 3.4"

I went with G-Transitions Shocks set up in Droop fashion, I wanted 100mm shocks but couldn't find them so went with 90mm figuring if I came across some 100mm, I could use these 90mm in the other CR01 (if I ever get around to building it!).

Blank plates for the shock mounts:

And lots of holes:

Kind of a crappy picture, but both rails are done and I'm stripping my built truck to build onto the new chassis.

Again, not a great picture, but using the bent lower arms is a bit tricky. If they are twisted in relation to the ends then they will skew the axle, took me a bit to figure that out

And almost how it sits now, the shock towers have been moved towards the centre of the chassis by one hole front and rear. I'm not sure if it matters if the shocks need to be mounted the other way, I know most pictures I have seen show them the other way, but I have clearance issues and they fit better like this.

Pretty sure I can get more articulation than this, but it was the first thing that I saw to put under the wheel.

Don't know if I will get to it tomorrow or not, with the tranny raised I takes up the space for the battery so I'm chucking the battery tray and may just use velcro to hold it in place, will see. The electronics will sit where they normally do in the back.

More hopefully in the next few days.
Osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Osteo's Build

"lots of holes" - lol, yup - that's life with a CR01. Welcome to the family, and the build looks great!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks!! more holes for sure!

I had the bright idea to lighten up some mtn bike flat pedals last year, I had 2 pairs the same. Spent over an hour drilling 32holes... lost 1/2oz!!!

D
Old 12-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Got to spend a bit of time just now, got the electronics installed temporarily and the battery is just strapped on top! have an idea to mount it, but need to be outside to do so and it is -10C side right now!

4" of articulation.

And tire compression with the cut stock foam is approx 3mm of 4 knobs of the tires squished!

I'm so itching to take my frame rails back to the bandsaw!!!

D
Old 01-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Got a battery tray made in the workshop before I started to freeze (-10C with the wind, takes too long to get heat with the woodstove) cut, drill and bent and back inside and ended up with this:

The battery will sit lower inside the frame rails that stock which is nice.

The laundry room with some boxes seems an ok place to putter so started climbing, even managed to get it to climb straight up a wall!

I know with the stock suspension as per OSCR's Articulation thread we can get a good 4" or so of articulation before a 2nd tire comes off the ground, and I recall having some pretty crazy angles with my truck while it was stock, but this surprised me:

4", 3 tires:

And then, I kept climbing and got to this on an 8" box! 2nd tire off, but still... it rolled when I went forward 1/4" more.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:41 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I don't plan on taking truck through mud, but as it is now winter it is likely I'll take it out in the snow so wanted to waterproof my receiver. I read about epoxying it, but wasn't to keen on the idea and our local hobby store had the Traxxas box for $12 so figured a cheap enough experiment. Came out pretty well and all the extra wires are tucked inside. Bit is a tight fit but it seems to work.

D
Old 01-05-2015, 06:40 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Very nice! Winter crawling is fun, snow provides an interesting challenge.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The Traxxas boxes are good, but the seal where the wires come out isn't 100%. I recommend liquid electrical tape around the wires where they come out to make sure nothing gets in. Also, FYI, conformal coating to waterproof the receiver is the way to go. Not too expensive, more flexible than epoxy, completely removable without harming the board, and won't create heat issues the way epoxy can. This is what I use:
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/...-coating-419c/

It goes straight onto the board and you can use a black light to make sure you have full coverage.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Osteo's Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM