Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: 3Racing CR-01 - Land Blinger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 3Racing CR-01 - Land Blinger

What do you think of the axle housings?
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
What do you think of the axle housings?
They're baller! I've already knicked mine up a bit... glad I photographed them before I put them to use!

I did both axles and used the KM Racing knuckles, so this makes for an all metal front and rear axle. Should be slightly more durable in the long run, but the added weight makes for better balance on the rocks (I hope).

For the rear axle, you might notice that I performed a tie rod over knuckle conversion. I did this to get more clearance and avoid bashing the rear tie rod, which I was doing regularly. The draglink angle isn't great, but I didn't have any other servo arms to use... I'll look for a better one, though. For now, it's a "ghetto tie rod over knuckle," but it did come for free.

Last edited by Mesozoic; 03-11-2015 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Comment on tie rod
Mesozoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #23

Well this build didn't go as planned at all. One of my shipments from AsiaTees took over a month to be delivered. I assumed it was lost in the mail because it was shown as leaving NY for three weeks. Because of this, I decided to finish the truck with the atermarket and stock parts I had. Wouldn't you know it, a couple of days after I finished the build, the rest of the aluminum parts showed up. That meant I had to tear it down, replace parts, and rebuild it. Because of my excitement, I didn't take as many build pictures as I had planned. It just slipped my mind. I think we've all been there when we get excited and into a build! AsiaTees did forget one of the aluminum servo mounts which was very frustrating. The stock one resides in the front. I will post pictures.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #24

Here's the transmission. What you can't see is the 3Racing motor plate that I added later. This was one of the parts in the missing shipment.

The stock motor is shown, but I ended up switching to the RC4WD 35T motor. After a shakedown run in the kitchen, I'm happy with it.

I had a heck of a time getting the transmission together. OSRC informed me that the bearings seat all the way onto the spur gear shaft. I wasn't pressing hard enough because it took much more force than I had expected would be required to seat the bearings.

I forgot to mention that the driveshafts are the optional Tamiya metal driveshafts.

Here's the complete, assembled chassis. I guess you could call this a slider.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-17-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #25

After spending all this money and making most of the truck aluminum, I had a hard time putting the chrome, plastic Tamiya wheels on this truck. I decided to buy the wheels I've wanted for a long time - Gear Head 2.2 CAC EZ-Loc aluminum wheels. I also bought 2.2 ProLine TSL tires. I had seen these wheels in person before, but when I got them mounted up I probably stared at them for a total of 10 minutes. I also took more pictures of them than I can remember. They are just that awesome!

Old 03-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #26

Here's a shot of the electronics. I use cheap electronics. Why? Because they're cheap yet they work great. Plus, I get my trucks muddy, wet, and I beat on them so I don't feel bad when they die.

$10 OrangeRX GT300 receiver from HobbyKing
$20 WP1060 Waterproof, 60A brushed ESC from HobbyWing
$20 CYS S0150 servo
$30 Turnigy LiPo battery from HobbyKing
$15 RC4WD motor

Old 03-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #27

The completed truck minus the body which is drying now. Unfortunately, this seems to be my worst paint job ever. Not sure why I struggled with this one. Probably because I'm not a good painter and I was rushing.

With my other newly completed project, my second Sawback. The SawBeast!
Old 03-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #28

I tried my Clod Buster and a FJ Cruiser hard body that I have just for fun.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Really like the look of the FJ. Imagine that would be way top-heavy!

Nice to see an aluminum truck that's all one color of ano, all of mine are various shades of blue.

When are get getting muddy???
Old 03-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Sorry if it's been mentioned elsewhere in the thread - but what type of driveshafts are those?

Truck looks absolutely fantastic, btw.
GraciousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Love the Clod. Looks like an old school monster truck. Well done!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Really like the look of the FJ. Imagine that would be way top-heavy!

Nice to see an aluminum truck that's all one color of ano, all of mine are various shades of blue.

When are get getting muddy???
I like the look of the FJ too, but it would definitely be top heavy and for some reason I'm attached to this body and afraid to wreck it. I do have the Tamiya FJ Cruiser body that I got in the classifieds. I'll probably paint that one up and put it on this CR-01 once I destroy the stock Land Cruiser body.

I like when the shades of anodizing match and it personally drives me nuts when it doesn't so you could say this is one of my oddities or hangups!

Mud?! This thing is too pretty to get dirty! Just kidding. You know me. Once it gets its first scratch I'll beat on it. I would like to do a dry run with it though before doing a mud run. The problem is that it's not going to dry out for at least a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousOne View Post
Sorry if it's been mentioned elsewhere in the thread - but what type of driveshafts are those?

Truck looks absolutely fantastic, btw.
Those are the optional Tamiya metal driveshafts. They were thrown in with the kit, along with a bunch of other Tamiya option parts, when I bought it on eBay.

Thanks!

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-17-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #33

Here's a preview of the finished product. It's still not completely finished as I have to install the decals, mirrors and turn signals if I decide to do so, and tidy up the lighting wiring.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Expect to spend an hour or two on those decals.....doesn't look like much, but took me forever and a day, plus 17 minutes.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Expect to spend an hour or two on those decals.....doesn't look like much, but took me forever and a day, plus 17 minutes.
Haha. Well hopefully I can cut it down to forever and a day, plus 16 minutes.

I do believe you when you say it'll take forever. I think I spent 10 minutes on the grill sticker alone, which is the only sticker I applied, because I had to keep trimming it to get it to fit inside the recess on the grill insert.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Damn man, gonna make me go out a buy tires now. These look sick!
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #37

I love the look of this thing. It's probably my favorite looking RC that I've built to date. I can't wait to get it outside when it's nice and sunny to take some pictures. I also can't wait to get it out crawling.

The CYS S0150 servo died while doing a test run in the house. I was only on flat ground when it started grinding. This is the only issue I've ever had with the CYS servos. I use one in my Clod and another one of my crawlers. I think I'm going to replace it with a Solar D772 unless Crawford replaces this servo for me.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #38
wyd
Rock Crawler

Wow that is just one killer looking CR-01. That thing is just awesome looking. Problem is if I build one that nice then I will have yet another tricked out crawler that I don't use.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:02 PM   #39

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely use it though. That first scratch is going to hurt though!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #40

A couple more pictures.

3Racing CR-01 - Land Blinger - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15 trucks Offroad: Sniper Land Rover D90 D110 Ford Land Cruiser Trail Finder 2 Dingo boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 08-30-2012 07:48 AM
12 trucks Mudding! Land Rover Honcho Land Cruiser Dingo D110 RSOV Wraith King Hauler boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 07-16-2012 06:27 AM
My flat land LAND ROVER seabeejeep 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 08-11-2010 10:35 AM
hard jeep/land cruiser/land rover body IronRC Paint and Body 2 03-02-2008 10:14 PM