Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: 3Racing CR-01 - Land Blinger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 3Racing CR-01 - Land Blinger

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

How are you finding the HobbyWing ESC? I've installed one in my CR-01 as part of my upgrades but wonder whether I'd get better braking from a different ESC?
Thanks
Richard
RichardinNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
How are you finding the HobbyWing ESC? I've installed one in my CR-01 as part of my upgrades but wonder whether I'd get better braking from a different ESC?
Thanks
Richard
I only use HobbyKing X-Car 45A Brushed or HobbyWing WP1060 ESC's in my crawlers. They work great and I've never had one fail.

I haven't had a chance to run this CR-01 with the HobbyWing ESC. The CR-01 is heavier than my other rigs so it might get hotter, but with correct gearing I don't see it ever being an issue.

The only drawback of both the HobbyKing and HobbyWing ESC's are that the drag brake is nonadjustable. But its setting is pretty good for my rigs.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

I think, from reading other posts, I've realised my error with the 1060 in my CR-01. I've not had the drag brake on. Being reasonably inexperienced in these things, I'd assumed that having the jumper in the f/b/r slot gave me drag brakes. However, I now understand that I need the f/r mode for the brakes (which is remove the jumper altogether).

I'm taking the car out later, so will see how I get on.

Thanks, Richard
Old 04-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #45

Quote:
I think, from reading other posts, I've realised my error with the 1060 in my CR-01. I've not had the drag brake on. Being reasonably inexperienced in these things, I'd assumed that having the jumper in the f/b/r slot gave me drag brakes. However, I now understand that I need the f/r mode for the brakes (which is remove the jumper altogether).

I'm taking the car out later, so will see how I get on.

Thanks, Richard
Yes, you need to remove the one jumper to put it in crawler mode and get the drag brake.

Let me know how you like it with drag brake.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Took the car to some challenging slopes today (a place call Pigeon Mountain; one of Auckland's many volcanoes). Steep, jagged rocks with some soil between and lot of very slippery pine needles. Plenty of need to pause on climb and descent...the drag brake was great.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:42 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Got all three of mine ready to go for the weekend, it's on! The Touerag just got a new pair of shoes and possibly new shocks if I get time to do so.

Taking yours out this weekend?
Old 04-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Took the car to some challenging slopes today (a place call Pigeon Mountain; one of Auckland's many volcanoes). Steep, jagged rocks with some soil between and lot of very slippery pine needles. Plenty of need to pause on climb and descent...the drag brake was great.
Good to hear! I'm glad you like the ESC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Got all three of mine ready to go for the weekend, it's on! The Touerag just got a new pair of shoes and possibly new shocks if I get time to do so.

Taking yours out this weekend?
Nope. Unfortunatley, the CYS servo from Crawford Performance Engineering broke during the first test run in the house. I contacted them numerous times at least 2 weeks ago without response so I finally filed a PayPal claim. I have to replace the servo before I can drive it. I think I'm taking my second Sawback out this weekend. I haven't driven that yet either.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Hey Jato - where did you get that box of screws you have by the frame rails in on the first page of your build?

D
Osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteo View Post
Hey Jato - where did you get that box of screws you have by the frame rails in on the first page of your build?

D
It's a stainless steel screw kit for the CR-01 from a company that I won't mention. You can see the label in one of the pictures though. But I wouldn't recommend the kit. There were 4 different sizes of screws that were the wrong length. I contacted the owner and he was extremely rude. He sent me some of the screws, but told me to cut the one size down to correct length. He insisted it mentioned this on his site, but I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. When I questioned him about where this was mentioned on the site he ignored me.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:13 PM   #51
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It's a stainless steel screw kit for the CR-01 from a company that I won't mention. You can see the label in one of the pictures though. But I wouldn't recommend the kit. There were 4 different sizes of screws that were the wrong length. I contacted the owner and he was extremely rude. He sent me some of the screws, but told me to cut the one size down to correct length. He insisted it mentioned this on his site, but I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. When I questioned him about where this was mentioned on the site he ignored me.
Hey Jato - thanks for the honesty, I don't mind a bit of customization here and there, hell I bought a CR01, but also don't need extra hassles. I won't bother look closely at the label, I'll keep searching.

Good job on your build, it looks great!
D
Osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Rumor has it this truck made an appearance at a night run... how'd it run?
Old 05-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #53

Quote:
Rumor has it this truck made an appearance at a night run... how'd it run?
Yes, I was there. I guess I just missed you.

It crawled really well for being a maiden run! I was so happy with it. It wasn't nearly as top heavy as it looks. In fact, it was pretty darn stable. The front to read weight balance is pretty good too.

The only thing I didn't like is that the links seemed to drag early and hinder the performance. I bought the Tamiya bent links to try.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #54

Is there any way to overdrive/underdrive the axles? I'd like to try this for the first time.

I'm also considering buying the aluminum axle housings for this to complete my aluminum look, but to mostly get some additional weight down low.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

I know of no way....TLT and F350 gears are the same size. RC4WD might have some older ones that fit, but I have no idea which they would be (and it's a pricey gamble)

I think the aluminum axles are the only thing I haven't bought.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #56

Quote:
I know of no way....TLT and F350 gears are the same size. RC4WD might have some older ones that fit, but I have no idea which they would be (and it's a pricey gamble)

I think the aluminum axles are the only thing I haven't bought.
Thanks. That's a bummer.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #57

I took my CR-01 to Lake Nockamixon and my dad took his Dingo. My truck performed well, but it's a little top heavy (which I expected with the tall ride height and tall body) and it flips over backwards on climbs easier than I want it to.

Any suggestions on how to fix this other than stuffing more weight in the wheels? I know that would help with both, but I don't want and even larger weight bias in the front because then it will flip forward on downhills.

Inexplicably I broke a metal, Tamiya driveshaft, or prop shaft as they call it. This was only the third run on the truck. I dont understand this breakage at all. I've never broken a plastic Axial driveshaft, a plastic GMade Sawback driveshaft, or the metal Junfac driveshafts on my other Sawback. This is crazy.

Photos below.

06131513040613151315a0613151320b0613151427

The carnage:
0613151446a

2WD Crawling from here on out on this trail run.
0613151455b0613151511b

2WD Hill Climing
0613151523a06131515220613151521c

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 06-15-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Move your rear upper links up...I see they are mounted in the lowest holes on the chassis side. You're getting a lot of leverage there from the chassis.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #59

That's a good point! Thank you!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:06 AM   #60

Since joining this forum and looking at your rig I have had 2 or 3 sleepless nights tossing and turning murmuring to myself,
"Need Bigger Tyres, I neeeeed Bigger Tyres"

Looks absolutely awesome!!!!!!

One of my favorites I have come across on here so far
Green Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote

3Racing CR-01 - Land Blinger - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15 trucks Offroad: Sniper Land Rover D90 D110 Ford Land Cruiser Trail Finder 2 Dingo boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 08-30-2012 07:48 AM
12 trucks Mudding! Land Rover Honcho Land Cruiser Dingo D110 RSOV Wraith King Hauler boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 07-16-2012 06:27 AM
My flat land LAND ROVER seabeejeep 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 08-11-2010 10:35 AM
hard jeep/land cruiser/land rover body IronRC Paint and Body 2 03-02-2008 10:14 PM