Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: 1.9 CR01 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 1.9 CR01 Build

Another funky CR01 build. Moved some axles around among my 3 rigs and was left with this set. I had them on a custom 2.2 jeep that I was building, but I've already got 2 CR's on 2.2's. A long time ago, I had one of them built with 1.9's, and it was a pretty capable little rig - or at least, that's what I remember. So I decided to build a 1.9 instead.

Started with a chassis I cut out for another project, and another Proline Jeep body that was laying around. (This will be all recycled parts, funds are tight right now) Bumpers may or may not stay, who knows.

Found a transfer case in my stash, and whipped up a skid to mount it on.

Rear axle..lots of shiny stuff. Axial shocks with Proline springs - needed something softer as there's no weight back here really.

Front axle...decided to go a bit different and try a CMS on this one. Took a lot of head scratching and trial fitting, but I got it pretty close. I was playing with springs since there will be a lot of weight up here and ended up with Axial short springs and Tamiya touring springs. Feels pretty good, and it's a true dual rate unlike the stock axial setup.

More to come...
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 1.9 CR01 Build

What is that bumper set from?

sent from Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Rear bumper is an Axial JK bumper, front is a steel RC4WD Trailfinder2 bumper. Sold the TF2, but kept the bumper for some reason....looks pretty decent with a jeep body actually.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Moving along, slowly...

Motor mounted and some Tamiya stickers to liven things up. Because Tamiya.

Driveshafts and a plate to mount electronics and what not

Side profile ....not sure why I took this pic. I can say I REALLY like the Axial KO2 tires...

Originally, I had planned a Proline JK body as they Fit CR chassis's perfectly (I've got a thing for Fiery Orange and Copper Colors apparently) - mocked up with its 2.2 cousin. And this was almost done. Then fate hit..

I was looking at body mount options, and I forgot that that body was already drilled for Axial mounts....didn't want to re-drill, so I mounted it back on my Axial as shown and not sure why I ever took it off:

...and really liked it and it stayed...which left me with a directionless chassis with really wide axles, smallish tires, and no body. This project was quickly headed to the black hole of forgotten ideas.

It was sitting off to the side of the bench and for whatever reason I decided to see what else I could do with it. After brainstorming and trial fitting a bunch of stuff -bodies, tires, etc - I kinda fell onto this look. A little dremel work, and I think I might be onto something. It's different to be sure, but the more I look at it, the more I like it... Needs a nose and other parts obviously, but feel like this project back on track.

Last edited by OSRC; 12-03-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I don't know why this one is giving me so much trouble. I'm now on my third chassis..

I liked the buggy concept, but that body needed a ton of work, and in the end would have looked kinda strange. So while messing around I kinda went from this:

to this:

Kinda of a buggy look. I'm more of a function over form guy anyway...and I kinda liked this, so I rolled with it. Trimmed it up a bit, cleaned it up, and made some body panels and a battery/radio tray. Then I ran out of screws.

So off to the interwebs to track some down. In the meantime, I started working on the axles. The KM Racing parts are super beefy, but they made the already poor CR01 steering even worse as they don't swing as much as stock. It was way obvious on my test run that the steering was terrible. Since I had everything apart, I tore it all down and measured it out and was getting 27 degrees....I think even my TLT's swing farther than that!

So, bucing the trend in the age of simply bolting on more performance (and being jobless and broke to boot) I went back in the TLT age and did some mods. Ground the C's and knuckles, and ground/shaved the axles as much as possible. I'm up to 41 degrees lock to lock - not great, but FAR better than 27!!

While I had it apart, I dug around in my bearing box and found enough bearings to do a knuckle bearing mod. The 5x8's do all the work, and the bushings are just there as spacers really.

Front axle done. Pulled it apart and it has the HD lockers in too...sweet! All bolted up - steering swings with new zero friction and much more travel. Win!

The look of progress....rear axle and everything else is good. Just awaiting some more screws.

Last edited by OSRC; 01-04-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Moving along... on my test run, I wasn't getting enough gearing out of the existing setup so I swapped out the scale T-case for a cut down Axial trans. Since it's no longer a scale truck, I didn't need that tiny T-case. I had enough spare parts in my box to throw the new one together except for some reason the idler shaft - I just cut up an old 5mm axle to size. Made a much more simple mount too while I was at it.

A bunch of Axial WB shafts connect everything together. I'm planning a somewhat 2D interior, so I'm not worried about how tall it is. I run this exact setup in one of my other rigs and it works very well.

Got the axles back on, body panels on, and steering back together and sorted out.

I started working on a hood and roof.....I'm terrible at scratchbuilding bodies and ascetics...I still have no idea where it's going, but I'm having fun with it.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
MODERATOR™

Pretty neat. The hood vents are cool.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

It's got an aluminum mohawk!

Moving along... Put together an interior of sorts for this beast. Nothing earth shattering.. Since scale wasn't really in the cards, I thought the skeleton head worked out ok. Covers the guts, which is what I really wanted. I have to dig out the steering wheel yet...it's here somewhere.

Finished up the hood with some decals and what not - added a vent in front of the motor to balance out the front, and a "hood scoop" to cover up the motor heatsink. I thought it looked ok open too, so if it busts off, I'm not going to be all that upset about it.

5 foot view - just need something in the back to cover the battery and something over the roof.

Last edited by OSRC; 01-12-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #9

The "cage" above the driver reminds me of a spring car chassis. Therefore I think it should have a wing up top! Wouldn't last long on the trails though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Very cool looking setup and great way to use CR-01 axle you already have!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Very cool looking setup and great way to use CR-01 axle you already have!
Thank you good sir. Since giving up corporate life to be a stay at home dad, all of my builds will be using "what I have" Good thing I've stockpiled so much crap over the years. Plenty to keep busy.

I'm debating doing the same to an Axial based vehicle. Having a lot of fun with this!
Old 01-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Not done, but has to go wheeling just to try it out. With no weight up top, it's pretty much glued to the terrain. Not a fan of the Falkens though. ...

1.9 CR01 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CR01 Custom chassis build OSRC Tamiya CR-01 43 05-20-2022 03:18 PM
New cr01 Bajacaat Tamiya CR-01 3 02-23-2015 01:29 PM
I really want to build a Tamiya CR01 or do a custom chassis for my old SCX10... daign General Crawlers 2 01-12-2012 07:08 PM
creepr69s CR01 truggy build creepr69 Tamiya CR-01 9 04-08-2011 10:45 PM
first time scale build cr01 joes07rr Tamiya CR-01 1 01-05-2009 07:28 PM