Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: New to the game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #1

Default New to the game

HI guys

Looking at getting into the crawler game and in specific looking to get a CR01 for my 30th birthday in Jan.

I've owned various RC stuff over the years but nothing recently - in the past Traxxas stampede, Tamiya GS400 and a Tamiya 2WD buggy.

My questions are:

I would be interested in changing the wheels and tyres - do any 2.2 wheels fit? Like are they all the same hex hub fitment? I like the style of the wheels on the bruiser for example, guessing they're not beadlock?

What are the advantages of upgrading parts like the motor? I know brushless can go faster, but is it necessary on a crawler?

Are there any seriously poor/weak aspects of the stock CR01 that need changing straight off?

Thanks

Ed
Em645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em645 View Post
HI guys
I would be interested in changing the wheels and tyres - do any 2.2 wheels fit? Like are they all the same hex hub fitment? I like the style of the wheels on the bruiser for example, guessing they're not beadlock?
Ed
Yes, any 2.2 tire will fit the stock wheel - including Prolines and their infamous beads! Any 2.2 wheel with a 12mm hex hub can fit so there are tons of options.

Unfortunately, Bruiser wheels are proprietary to the bruiser hubs, they are about the only 2.2 wheel I can think of that don't work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em645 View Post
What are the advantages of upgrading parts like the motor? I know brushless can go faster, but is it necessary on a crawler?

Are there any seriously poor/weak aspects of the stock CR01 that need changing straight off?
The stock motor and ESC will be 100% fine to get you rolling. I found that out of the box it was geared a little high for my tastes, but that is subjective of course.

The only item on the kit that is "weak" are the driveshafts from the trans to the axles. A set of Axial Wild boars can be easily fitted with a bit of filing. OR the kit specific Junfac or Tamiya upgrades. All will work fine. The rest of the truck is an absolute tank.

Hope that helps!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

New to the game - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B.E.C. game Constant Threat Chit Chat 21 12-18-2013 07:00 PM
New Game slowrockr Chit Chat 22 01-13-2011 11:55 PM
Try This Game! joecrawler Chit Chat 8 02-22-2006 08:03 PM