Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT Steering?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #41
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by badltl510 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong I have never used a radio with end points, but the end points adjust how far the servo will travel. With a radio with no endpoints doesn't the servo travel as far as the servo is designed to?
Correct.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

So just a little update. I went out and played last weekend with a buddy and the truck did alot better then at my first comp. I know getting inner c's, knuckles and shafts in there will help get me further but getting the EPA dialed in really helped as well.

Once I decide on my components I want to loose the huge spacers to get the scrub radius down as I think that should help too.

Thanks again for the help so far.
NICKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Dang! Eggressor, you've made that rig "your own" very nice work! (for you other guys click on one of his pictures and learn... )
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
I just can't get over how well setup your rigs are. You have any video of your 2.2 in action?
only a short clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ7WEIyZkBI
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRESSor View Post
Just one question, does your rig run better with the claws running the reverse direction that most run them in??
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:20 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

do i need 4 wheel steering on my tlt? or must i just change the servo horn?
infernox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernox View Post
do i need 4 wheel steering on my tlt? or must i just change the servo horn?
2.2 Class Rules state: "Vehicles are limited to 2-wheel steering only." Rule #2.3.4
Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 AM   #48
Pebble Pounder

i aint in america
Old 02-11-2008, 02:36 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
i aint in america
Then do whatever you want. Just trying to help.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 AM   #50
Pebble Pounder

sorry man didnt mean anything bad by it. i apologise if it seemed like that.
its just im not going to take part in comps and im on a budget so a 3ch radio is out of the question right now.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
sorry man didnt mean anything bad by it. i apologise if it seemed like that.
its just im not going to take part in comps and im on a budget so a 3ch radio is out of the question right now.
No worries. Most people running TLT gear don't use rear steer anyways. Many are building scale replica trucks, and you don't see many trucks on the road with rear steer, or they are building a comp style rig and if the are going to use a 3rd channel, they will use it for a "Dig" setup since rear steer isn't allowed in most events, US or Non-US. Hope this helps!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #52
Pebble Pounder

thanx man.
what can i do to increase steering. ive added tamiya 50808 wheel axles and shortened the cups and redid the bevel. will that be enought or do i have to buy other wheel hubs (knuckles)?
*please keep in mind im trying to build my TLT on a budget and build as a tutorial for other newbies.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Depending on where your lower links are located, you can move the axle mount for them further toward the center of the axle. This gets them out of the way of the tires and allows them more room to turn.

I made a piece out of delrin to offset the lower links toward the center a little bit. You could also just drill 2 holes through the axle case in order to mount the bracket.

I am using stock inner axles and ground down stock stub shafts on my tlt. This is the amount of steering I get.

SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

now thats decent turning angle.
ok cheap fix time: last night installed the tamiya 50808 wheel axles into my TLT which i cut and rebeveled using a dremel and DAMN my turning angle increased so much that the wheel hub (the little part sticking out onto which you install the steering linkage) actually hits the axle casing. WOOHOO

check out my TLT newby build for newbies for details.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
I made a piece out of delrin to offset the lower links toward the center a little bit. You could also just drill 2 holes through the axle case in order to mount the bracket.
Thats great idea! Must copy..
klrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #56
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

If you buy Fat Rock axles C's, I highly recommend you do the bearing mod. I shaved my Fat Rock C's and aluminum knuckles for maximum steering with my CVD's. I would highly recommend staying away from the Yeah Racing aluminum knuckles (which are the brand pictured). The machine work is very poor. The screws are often not drilled and tapped square. I even had one with the bearing mounts not drilled square. I have owned RCP, Yeah Racing and RC4WD brand TLT aluminum knuckles. From my experience the RCP brand has been the best.

Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #57
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

BTW, those pictures are old. I found that if I shaved the aluminum steering link, since it was solid aluminum, removed a little more from the C, and slightly clearanced the ring gear area on the axle case, I got even more turning radius. It just takes a little time, patience and good tools.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #58
RCC Addict

No matter what, you'll max out at 45^ since that is the max the CVD's will operate smoothly at. Mine, and Tannis' are maxed, as well as many others. But you're right, to get there, you need time and tools.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #59
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoK5 View Post
No matter what, you'll max out at 45^ since that is the max the CVD's will operate smoothly at. Mine, and Tannis' are maxed, as well as many others. But you're right, to get there, you need time and tools.
I'm running RCP's super-max clearance knuckles and stainless fatrock C's, and my setup maxes out the CVD's with no grinding at all
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Man I must be doing something wrong. I've ground down the drive cups, hit them with a cone shaped grinding stone and still get driveline input(bumpbumpbump). At full lock, the knuckle arm is hitting the fatrock C, so I know I'm going in the right direction. If you turn it the other way it will pretty much turn until the knuckle hits the axle. I have no doubt that if I shaved the C, similar to the MSD's, that the knuckle would use that clearance, the problem is that i'm getting the driveline input about a 1/4" from the knuckle arm hitting the C. It seems like if I bevel it any more the drive cup will be too thin at the top. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tom
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote