Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Benny...Done!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 06:17 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
First - Are you running a reverse rotation motor? No, then you have the chassis backwards. Motor endbell faces forward... easily confused to those who are new to the RCRG Bulu Madness.
Second - What is your wheelbase? How long are your front links(lowers) and how long are your rear links(lower)??
Third - Place your lower links to the middle of the axle housings, not on top. So, for the front housing they'd be placed to the backside of the housing(inside towards chassis).... Then for the rear, they'd be on the forward side of the housing in the center. This is not a really needed thing but everyone here that helped develop and test the Bulu chassis, run our lower links in the center spots.
Fourth(last) - For battery placement... time to learn how to build battery packs or buy custom built packs from cheapbatterypacks.com I run a chopped up 6 cell sub-c pack. 4 cells on upper front links and 2 cells up on top of the servo. I don't have funky upper link mounts on top of my servo so it's easy to strap the two cells up there (soon, soon the RCRG Bulu Chassis servo/link mounts will be ready). Many diehard Bulu users around here run the small packs(like I've mentioned to you in a PM when you asked), not sub-c size cells.
Keep building.
1) what difference does it make which way the motor can faces? It's a Lathe motor and spins the same speed in both directions. It can be set up however. I run my tranny the same way in our chassis.
2)Link mounts should work OK. If needed they can be changed. But if they work for him then great.
3)Funky link mounts? Lets see yours? I have never seen them, ever. The idea for those came from our CustomCrawlerz upper Link mounts. They are different, but the concept is the same.
I have run smaller packs myself too. (one built for my mini-t) It works great, but the runtime is slightly lower. (not a big deal because of the Lathe motor)
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2005, 09:24 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

That thing looks great...but no shocks? I don't see any. If you plan on having them, where?
Stoovey2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:19 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

in the normal location. i have integy ones on order from jeff.
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:38 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

consider this rig done! all i need now is some damn driveshafts! and you dont see a receiver but i need to pick up some more servo tape or something to mount it you can guess where by the wires. with toyofasts correction of my honest mistake i can fit the battery fine up front without any binding. on to the pics!:

looks like it has a bit of rake but it doesnt:

battery sits in there nicely. no binding but definite lack of vertical travel (who needs it? not me cuz this baby stays planted...no jumps:

the esc does to thanks to my totally booty fab mounting system. i took my activity pass (laminated) from last year and cut it up, punched some holes, and zip tied it to the upper links. then i just servo taped the esc on. simple as that. shows no binding whatsoever and i still get full vertical travel.:

my new shock mounts. these are completely garage fabbed out of scrapped aluminum of some old motorcycle that my dad chopped. needed these due the longer rear links. they look really good. and give it that raked look that i wasnt really going for:

the flex shot. as a reference when the radios clip thing is sunk into the carpet it gives me the same height as the stick pack used in the earlier shots. i have lost nothing to shocks. hehehe:

as for the shocks im borrowing these from eclipse until my integy ones come in. other than that there she is. will get it running and get action shots asap.

thank you for following the build and i hope you check back for further updates.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:28 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Great work there fuzz now finish the shafts and go wheel the wee out of it.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:49 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

looks great fuzzhead...i wish i would have bought a bulu 2
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:03 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

thank you.

and syco i promise you i will
Old 07-26-2005, 07:54 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Talking

Looks good Brandon. I will pM you as soon as I know more on the shocks.

As I said My Maxx shafts are stripped, and I don't have any extra Pede ones on hand right now for testing.

Cusrious to see how it preforms. You WILL need to get those tires glued though. At least a couple dabs along the beads to prevent slipage. Otherwise you wouldn't go very far at all.
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Default Done!!

well for everything mechanical this thing is complete
pics:

shiny new shocks. red anodized msr4 piggybacks. thanks to Jeff a Custom Crawlerz:

just sittin around (another good look at the shocks):

a shot of it on its side to show you that i now have driveshafts. the front was normal before but i had to lengthen due to it popping out ever couple of feet . and no sadly it cannot balance on its side like some trucks out there so its leaned up against the cabinet.:

balancing act:
Part One:

Part Two:

I personally believe that this shot here is more meaningful then the "on their side" shots. but i guess its a different type of balance. still pretty impressive though.

and of course the flex shot. what would any grouping of pictures be without it?:

now hopefully i will get to take the the truck out again soon. it did pretty dang good on the last outing (in my opinion anyways. being this was the first time i had really ran the truck). but im itching to see how the new shocks perform. keep your eyes open for another GFRCRC get together!

Thank You

Brandon

PS. for all you guys who have kept coming back and waited for the tons of pics to load. thank you especially. i really have made progress and the truck is done now. so thanks again for taking the time to check out my build.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #50
RCC Addict

How in the blue hell are you getting it to balance on the back wheels like that you super glued it to the carpet didnt you your mom's gonna kill you Nice truck man now go scratch those shocks up.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:53 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

not quite sure. it kind of happened and i went with it.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:30 AM   #52

Pretty cool! I just read the thread from start to finish....Nice shot of it standing up! Now let's see what's holding it up in the back :-P
Jrdrag3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Those shocks are prety, now go get them dirty!
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:19 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

well the anodizing is scratched already.

the truck seems to perform good. i think i need some softer springs. and i had a leak... oil all over my servo. but i fixed it.