Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tlt Tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #21

that's awesome! i braze copper tubing almost daily for a living and would like to start a project like that myself when i can find the time.
akcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2005, 07:35 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Spent the weekend getting that axles under the mini. I had to widen the front and rear loop 1/4 inch to solve clearance issues. The associated shocks worked out great installation wise. I went with simple aluminum top link mounts as opposed to a machined one which will save on time and cost. Tomorrow I will get the skid plate done and start working on mounting the tranny and driveshafts. Due to the small area to mount the tranny and electronics they will be set up to run a split battery pack. The overall goal is to have it on the rocks by the end of next week. If it stands up to the torture test i will pull it back apart paint it and install the side panels and hood.
Attached Images

aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #23
I joined the Band!

looks really good cant wait to see pics of tranny in chasise.
rock man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:58 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Started setting up the tranny and it presented some things that called for a few changes. Started off with a trip to the lhs to pick up some sliders which they were out of except for revo so I figured overkill but a bullet proof drive train, well hopefully . I pulled the axles apart installed bearings and locked the diff which was all pretty simple. Then the fun began. First was to adapt the revo outer hubs to the pede and the axles. The stock drive hubs will fit on the pede tranny output shafts just like the pede outdrive hubs do which is great. Next i drilled the revo outer hub to slide over the tlt out drive hub. I used a numbered drill bit and got a good snug fit. Next I slid the revo outer hub onto the tlt drive hub and marked where the pin goes through the revo hub. Removed both assemblies and drilled the tlt drive hub so that the revo pin wopuld go through it and lock it into place. The other problem I ran into was clearance with the angle of the driveshaft and the bottom of the frame. I raised the pede tranny 1/4 inch which solved half of the problem then I tilted the rear axle a few degrees. Here are a couple of pics of the rear. I will go through and take detailed pics of the revo shaft installation on the front axle and post them for anyone who is interested.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2005, 10:45 AM   #25
RCC Addict

the revo shaft are over kill, but they will work. and looks good. keep up the good work.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:06 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Had to order an extra set of tlt outdrive cups to finish up the driveshaft install. Hopefully they will be in tomorrow. I also recieved my losi shocks in the mail today finally. I want to see how big a diffrence there will be articulation wise between the losi shocks and the associated shocks. The losi has a bit longer stroke than the associated which should make a bit of diffrence hopefully. New pics will follow tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:44 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

looking good, cant wait to see the finsh product
silviajspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:27 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

hey aubie

if your chassis is going to be that wide.why dont you put that pede laying down flat. just me 2cents.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:10 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Going to have to stand it up due to space. Still have reciever, speed control and split battery pack to squeeze in there. the bottom plate is 5 inches by 4 1/2 inches so that dont leave much room. Im going with a small futaba speed controll. It will handle down to a 20 turn motor and is less than half the size of a super chicken. I will post a top view pic tomorrow so you can see what i am dealing with.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:16 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Wish i had a friend like you to help me do that to a TLT ima get...

I got the ideas, i just never done, or seen it done before...
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:23 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Its all a process nova. You dont know how many times ive pulled that frame apart and moved mounting brackets. It has been sliced, diced and then some. I will probably have to remake and move the front shock mount tabs if I use the losi shocks. But that will be solved in the morning and hopefully it will see the rocks tomorrow afternoon or sunday at the latest.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:09 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

IT CRAWLS! Better than i thought it would for its small size. I finally had everything set up about 9:30 tonight and headed straight for my rock pile . and it went rite up the first few like a champ but on some of the taller and steeper rocks I noticed the shocks are not loading and unloading like they should be but that will be worked out tomorrow. It made it over half way up the pile which was pretty good for a first time out I think. Here are a few pics with the speed control and reciever installed and with the losi shocks. Once I get the shock situation corrected tomorrow I will take some video and try and get it posted tomorrow night or monday.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

That looks awesome!
I am intrested in purchasing one since i also don't have the time to build my own!
BADNBADN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:46 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Nice!
Can't wait to get mine
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:23 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Fish yours will be ready by next weekend.
I took it out for another spin this morning and started noticing a few things.

1 Bottom pan is too wide.
2 CG is too high.
3 This one is kinda iffy Articulation better with front rear weight distribution. I moved the front shocks and they load and unload properly now but from time to time it wants to float the front or rear axle.

So today will be spent reworking the bottom pan and installing the losi tranny. More pics this afternoon.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:45 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Started reworking the bottom of the frame yesterday afternoon. It eliminated the large footprint that the old bottom plate had but one thing leads to another which is more limited space for mounting. Here are pics of the changes. The plate will still accept a pede tranny. I hope to have it back up and running by in the morning.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2005, 01:57 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Work continues. I made the new bottom plate and finished the tranny mounts and have it all bolted in place. It was a bit of a chore drilling the case hardened outdrives of the losi. Here ae a few pics of the mounted tranny.

With space definately being a factor now I have decided to experiment with batteries so I called mike at fromeco batteries and told him of the situation and he agreed to build a custom battery pack for me. It will be a 7200 mill 6 cell ion battery pack with twin leads, one for speed control and the other with voltage reducer for steering servos. The good point of the battery should be extremely long run times. The drawback will be an 11 HOUR charging time. It should be in by the middle of next week hopefully. The small futaba speed control was set aside and a new super rooster ordered to hande the new battery. Will try and get the axles back under it tonight and be ready for a few test runs in the morning.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2005, 02:11 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

did you ship my transmission yet? cuz u said yesterday morning and i have not yet received a tracking number from you. get that to me by today or i would like my money back. unless you have a dam good excuse. (new baby, death in the family, etc...)
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Talking

((O_o
I think a pm woulda done better than this.

Anyhoo nice to see that losi going it there! I like the bottom end much better now with the angled in sides! (less stuff to drag on rocks) Are those set screws I see on those output yokes??? My losi the yokes are all part of the diff casing ( similar to the stock tlt)
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:00 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

A pm would have been better. But since you put it out in the open heres your dam tracking # fedex 303422362000049. Life did not end just because you didnt get a tracking number quick enough.

Mikado The diff output shafts are the same as you described. I drilled out the revo yolks to slide snugly on the outputs then drilled the outputs to accept the revo pin.