Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Another JEEP based rig....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2005, 09:25 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Another JEEP based rig....

Hey Fellas,
Thought I would show everyone what Im working on. This is my latest Trials truck project. Almost all custom besides the axles, wheels, tires, etc...Even has a custom tranny. Im planning on running a 55t with an final "at the wheels"drive ratio of about 30:1. The chassis is aluminum and lexan. The servo mounts and motor mount were both ghetto-fabbed by me. Let me know what you think!
Thanks,
Aaron

SteepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

WoW. Thats an unusual chassis and shock set-up but it lookslike it works good! Nice truck!
rcbif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #3

I like the lexan mounting plate for the links. Those steering links look like they could be beefed up though!
MechanoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

looks cool very diffrent set up any pics of it outside crwaling
silviajspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:31 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Cool Jeep! Definetly done differently, and in a good way! I really dig the simple but effective chassis layout!
fullmodtxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks Guys,
Im going to the LHS today to pick up some driveshafts and possibly some bearings (I hate the bushings in the axles ) The steering links are being beefed up as well, I will make them out of the same material as my 4-links. No pics of it outside crawling yet. I still need all of my running gear. As far as suspension goes...I surprised myself! In the articulation pic the suspension is maybe 1/2 to 3/4 in full sway. It maxes out when the front and rear tires just touch the fenders. Should be plenty for where the truck will be running (Local mountain bike trails). Thank you for all your comments! I will post some better shots of the chassis and drivetrain later today.
Thanks!
Aaron
Old 06-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

WoW... thats pretty sweet.. i definately like it..
rcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #8
RCC Addict

pretty nice, for a Heep
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Nice lookin rig, Doesn't look bad at all. I really like it. You should throw some swamp dawgs on
ScaleCrawlersINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:55 PM   #10

kinda resembles one of the zilla frames. nice job. peace BB
bigbomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the comments guys,
Here are a few more pics. I just got done making new steering links. I also threw in a few drivetrain pictures.
Thanks!
Aaron

Old 06-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

That's a slick rig. Very cool chassis and I really like the gearing setup.

You might consider moving your lower links from under your axle to the back of the axle aka "Wookie Style". It'll get you some ground clearance.
FritoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Wookie style huh? I know about putting the lower links on top of the axle but I have not seen the method you mentioned done before. Do you mind elaborating? More ground clearance never hurt anyone! Thanks!
-Aaron
Old 06-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

This is the best pic I have. Instead of mounting the bracket below the axle you mount it using the two screws that go through the axle to hold it together. You'll need to get longer screws and some small washers but it works very well.
http://www.datascape.net/crawler/crawler04.jpg

If you look at this post there are a couple thumbnail pics that show what I'm talking about. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=50

Edit: Oh and for obvious reasons you'll probably have to use shorter lower links
FritoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Oh! I see now. I might have to try that! Thanks for the link!
-Aaron
Old 06-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

thats defenatly a different setup and i like it. i think my next tlt will be like that.
does the spur have the drivelines hook right up to it. if so i think you will need a gd-600 , unless thats a very big spur. how many teeth does it have?
the only suggestion i could make is to hack off the bottom of the chassis where those brace things are. then just move the braces up . or you could also try moving the lower links on the chassis side down to where the braces are now. casue it looks like it would get hung up easily as it is now, with the extra lexan hanging bellow the lower links.
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Thanks Yoda,
The drivelines do attach directly to the spur output shafts. The spur gear is 303 stainless steel. It has 80 teeth. I plan on running a reduction of some sort. Probably a planetary. As far as the sideplates go, They have to go that low for spur gear protection. Although, I may move my links down the those bolts.
Thanks!
Aaron
Old 06-13-2005, 04:34 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Very slick jeep. I plan to run my cj8 body on my tlt. Can you expand on the tranny setup such as part numbers or a how-to? I like how compact it is.
RCH

Last edited by RCHunter; 06-13-2005 at 04:37 PM.
RCHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:27 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

RCH,
The tranny is a conglomeration of a bunch of small drive parts. The bearing carriers for the 6mm output shaft I got at www.lynxmotion.com Both the spur gear and the 6mm shaft I got from www.sdp-si.com That is probably one of my favorite websites! Haha! All the aluminum on the rig was purchased from Lowes or Home Depot. The spur gear is bolted to the shaft via a 6-32 set screw. I ground my own flats in the shaft with a file. It worked out really nice. I replaced the stock bearings that came with the bearing carriers. The original bearings are good bearings but they are not flanged. The spur needed something to ride on so they were replaced with some flanged bearings. They are 6 X 12 mm by the way. I was left with one problem however.... The output on the tranny is 6mm and the output on the axle is 5mm. This led me to boring out the stock traxxas yokes fom 5 to 6mm for the tranny. Thats about the only "problem" I had with the tranny. All in all it worked out very nice and I am extremely pleased with it. If you have any more questions just let me know!
Thanks!
Aaron
Old 06-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. That cleard things up a lot and it's a more compact design than the pede tranny.
Thanks Again
RCH

Last edited by RCHunter; 06-14-2005 at 02:07 PM.
RCHunter is offline   Reply With Quote