Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: You've got to see this and buy it!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 07:22 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: You've got to see this and buy it!!!!

No no, your thinking way to complicated. Ditch the lame belt drive, the belts break like tooth picks (ask my son)

I'm thinking about mounting a pinion directly to the motor and possibly an intermidiate gear right on the axle, exactly like a clod. I'm looking at one right now and can't see any reason it wouldn't work. You'd need two motors and eliminating the motor and belt drive would allow you to lower the batterys for stubility and use AA's instead of AAA batterys.
Slowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #42
I joined the Band!

yea...you could do it...but your intermediate gear is gonna need to be a nice size to get the same gear reduction as in the stock gearbox...and you will also have to cut a slot all the way around the axle housing (where the small red gear is) to allow the motor to hit it...now you have a problem of keeping the axle sides in place
XFactor2Revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

wen u put a 130 size motor on the axles how much space is there between the diff gear and the armature shaft?
GReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:36 PM   #44
I joined the Band!

bout 1/4 inch...is what i'm getting if i'm doing what you asked...but if you cut the edges of the cutout...you could get the shaft to hit the gear on the axle...sooo...
Old 01-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #45
I joined the Band!

well...i'm goin somewhere with my dad...so i'll be back in a little while...but tonight imma tear into each gear box and replace the motors with some xmods motor...mayb a blue and a yellow...that is if the pinions are same size...it not...i think the drill press is gonna be used
Old 01-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Here's the inside of the gearbox, should answer your question

AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

yea just replace the diff gear with the xmods bevel gear or somethin
GReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:01 PM   #48
I joined the Band!

well...it's either put an xmod motor in the gearbox for more torque...or!...put an xmods whole gear thing onto an axle...first have the limited slip gear on that axle shaft (limited slip is right size...might need drilled little to allow it on the shaft...then...the gear that the motor hits that then transfers power to the limited slip....so i can have my motors...perpindicular? to the axles....and on top of the axles to keep maximum ground clearance...so...if som1 will tell me how to post pics from my desktop icons...i can show you exactly what i'm talking about
Old 01-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #49

Go to www.photobucket.com and make an account. It is free then upload your pics from your computer onto your account. Then use the link thing on there that is under the picture. Use the last one of the three. The one with the [img][/img] tags around it. Or you you could just get the link from there and put the [img][/img] tags around it here.
boohoo583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #50
I joined the Band!

now see...take the motor and the gears and put them right on the axle...work...but...gonna have to put the metal heatsink on the motor to mount it to the axle...then...the gear you can barely see (pinion on motor contacts it)....it would be suspendid...so your going to need to put some thick rod (like driveshaft on xmod is what kept it center...then the bearing hole it goes through....prolly attach to the motor)...but all in all it would work...to bad i have to go back to hell tomma (highschool for me)

here is mine...currently one gear box is tore apart to install a xmod motor...which i have to get the pinion off first

as you can see...it is a twin gearbox...stretched crawler...did have an axle in the middle...it looked cool...bout didn't crawl better then it does not...might put it back on as soon as i get another one of these trucks for the links and shocks...as i only have 5 shocks :(

(pics are before gearbox was out)[/img]
Old 02-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

go to www.atomicmods.com for a pinion puller. and i just got one of these yey. why take off the shocks?
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote