Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My "Force 1" 2.2 Comp Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My "Force 1" 2.2 Comp Build

This design was the brainchild of WARCRC member I B RACIN.
Torry was kind enough to assist me in building one of his "Force 1" torsion chassis.

This is not a new build. I am in the process of changing a few things so I thought to document my whole rebuild.

Its starts with 2 1/8 inch music or Piano wire:

TLT Axles
55T motor
GD600
XXX 2gen Losi Tranny
Mamba Max ESC
Hitec 5995 front
Hitec 645 rear
MSD Ultimate lock out
MSD Top Guns
Losi Rock Crawlers
Nomadio Transceiver

The wires are placed in a vice. Then using a metal hollow tube, bends were made to create diagonal bends in the wires.

Next was to create an arc in the middle of both wires so they can be crossed over each other.
Torry tells me he has a guetto way of bending the wires to make this tight arc bend. So I go with it. It ended up to be a great idea.

I place a nut in the vice that is twice the width of the wire. Then I take the wire and place it vertically against it. Then place a scrap piece of wire cross width over the vertical wire.
Example;

Once all is aligned, I applied pressure on the vice slowly to create the arc in the wire. Wala! Instant arc. Great idea dude!!!

Torry had premade a skid plate for me out of 3/8 cuttingboard.
He cut groves diagonally accross the plate then hollowed out the middle for the arcs in the wires to move freely in.

I placed the first wire in the skid plate and bent the wires ever so slightly so that it would lay flat in the grooves. This takes quite awhile to do as you don't want to create a bow in the middle portion of the wire that sits in the grooves. So all of my bends were done right at the end of each side of the arc. I also had to increase the depth of the grooves in some sections of the skid plate so that it would lay flat. This took awhile to get done so patience was the key.

The same was done for the upper wire.

More to come. I gotta get some sleep.

Last edited by SMR4RUNNER; 03-25-2008 at 09:16 PM.
SMR4RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Thats kind of a weird name eh? I'd have to see this thing working to get a better idea of whats happening.

It seems like the cross over section kills the torsional part of your articulation. I say that because only the end section to the first 45 degree bend is twisting on all four corners right? That seems like it would only give you maybe half as much flex as two parallel beams would.

Do you have another piece of cutting board that clamps down onto that piece to hold everything together?
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Hmmmm............ taking notes Hmmmmm .........I'm confuzeld, what kind of wire is that is it spring steel? does this set up use upper connecting rods or what?
spyderzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Im sure it would have to have uppers other wise axles would flop around ..................keep on building I'll be watch'n this build
spyderzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

There are no upper links in this setup, it's kinda like a BMvII but with a twist. I've seen I B RACIN's rig in person befor and it performs prety good. Keep up the good work SMR.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

you guys dont even understand how well this setup works!! ask anybody in oregon or washington! its the most stable rig i've ever seen! and then the way they have the tranny set up is crazy! just wait till you see how it works!
scuzzy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
ghetto fabulous newbie

I like it. Im Anxious to see it done.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've always wanted to see how he set those up.
He's explained it to me but, seeing it is sooooooooooo much better.

It's cool he's let you show how it's done.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

these rigs work well, pay attention guys.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Very interesting cant waite to see this together,looks like our nw brotheres are goin torsion crazy

I really dig the idea,if im seeing this correct.......when the back left goes up the frnt right goes down etc.

torsion rigs always entrigued me but likes2crawl is the only guy to run one down hear.And he bugged out on it and went sw so ive never really got to check one out reall well and annilze its performance........maybe ill just build one for myself.Nice job on keeping it fresh guys.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Nice start to the write up Mike

I'll stay tuned to see how this pans out.
SpyderMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I played around with a BMVII for about a year or so, and loved it, I wish he'd come out with that BMVIII I hear about!
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

If you like stability, stay tuned, and get learned from the PNW's OG rockstar
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Once the middle of the wires are flush with the skid plate, it was time to massage the links so they lay as even as possible . Again little bends at a time and alot of patience was the key here.

After the wires were straight and even it was time to move on to the axles.
The upper suspension stays from the TLT kit are used to hold the wires. I tapped the upper holes on the axles and mounted the stays.

Next was to measure the length of wires to meet the legal wheelbase. During the initial build the axles were placed in a frame measuring 12.5 inches of wheel base. All I needed to do was place the wires within the stays, align, measure, then cut.
After the wires were cut I tapped the ends of the wires to accept the end links that will be mounted to the suspension stays.

To decrease any resistance on the rocks I used Teflon tubing to sheath the wires. This type of Teflon is used in marine RC boats to sheath the flex shaft for the props. I used ones available from Octura Model Marine Supplies.

The tubing is slightly larger than the 1/8inch wire allowing it to roll loosely and because its Teflon, it is also slides very well over the rocks.
Finally, end links were screwed into the wire ends to be mounted into suspension stays.

Now to create the chassis.
One of the WARCRC members picked a some aluminum C channel rails from a job site he works at. This alum is so dang rigid making it difficult to bend and cut. The cool thing about this aluminum C channel is that it is about the same width as the TLT chassis so I could use the cross members from the kit.
The design was drawn up on the aluminum where I cut and shaped the chassis.
In the last pic you can see the round cutout where the arc of the wires will be peeking out of.

Next was to mount the chassis to the skid plate, and connect the end links to the suspension stays.

More to come.

Last edited by SMR4RUNNER; 03-26-2008 at 03:09 AM.
SMR4RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Sweet build,but where do you get piano wire?I built a homemade BMV style truck with some 1/8" rods but they will bend when i bind my junk up.Keep up the good work and definately a build I will be following
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
RCC Addict

This is way cool so far. This is probably the most different idea i've seen in ages.
PaulEZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #17
RCC Addict

This is absolutely one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a while. Only thing I want to know is how well does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red jim View Post
Sweet build,but where do you get piano wire?I built a homemade BMV style truck with some 1/8" rods but they will bend when i bind my junk up.Keep up the good work and definately a build I will be following
Check your LHS. It's often called "music wire" model airplanes use it for control surface linkage and what not.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #18
Keep it real

Nice writeup so far Mike, but your workbench is too clean
I first saw this design over a year ago, works extremely well, took first place in our 2006 winter series, and if I didn't like 4links so much......
Looking forward to the rest of this Mike.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Interesting idea!!

But what do you do if you don't like it? Is there any "adjustability" in it?
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Way to bring some fresh tech

Agin, this chassis works great. Both Mike and Torry do very well with it
miniwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote