Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project White Knight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Project White Knight

Well, it is time again to post what I have been doing lately. I just can't leave my crawler alone. The last time I took it out wheelin, I realized that I needed more weight over the front wheels for it to climb better, so I taped a rock onto the front axle.......It worked great for a while, until it broke at the center diff.....too much weight. I was still using the Poor man's center diff pede slider conversion. So now it is back to the drawing board.

I built a new transmission using Pinion and spur gears a lot like the one I did here:

New gears in stock TLT tranny!

The motor will be "divorced" from the transmission and will be placed under the hood above the front axle. The engine will have a GD600 on it and will connect to the tranny via a pede shaft. Yeah, I know that the weight of the motor will be at a higher COG, but my batteries will be sitting on the skid plate so hopefully that will offset the weight.

I decided to build a tube chassis modeled after the White Knight a 1:1 rig that was once a Chevy S10 as seen here:

http://www.whiteknight.ca/2005whiteknightspecs.htm

Here is what I have so far.

This is my first tube chassis, so it is not perfect, nor is it finished yet. I will still add some more tubing up front and triangulate it some more. I really enjoyed doing this chassis. This hobby is great.

Has anyone tried this the motor idea yet?
Let me know what you all think.
Flame me if needed, but don't be too harsh!
ECAMERON87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a great start. Keep it up. I still haven't seen the TTC that it was in. Someday.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:44 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

White Knight is a k5 Blazer with an s10 Body.Its in the October issue of Four Wheeler.

Cant wait to see your version of this Badass Trails truck.

My version of white Knight is just about done...going to tear it down and send the frame for some Powdercoating then give the body a new coat of White
SuperSancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Actually it was a k5 with an s 10 blazer body a few years ago. It is now a mostly tube truck. Man i love that truck and i even intended to do a project like yours one day but i couldn't get past the real trucks actual not so hot craftsmanship. If you look at the pics on teh site of the entire build process it's got alot of last second engineering and not such a clean design to it so i never bothered.
Rockinrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I thought that his first one was a K5, but then he built the S10 onto a cut down one ton crew cab frame. I wasn't sure if any of the K5 made it onto the hybrid S10. Anyway, I think the 1:1 is way to0 top heavy to be a competition crawler, but it looked real nice so I decided to try it.

SuperSancho, I would be interested to see your project. How much is it to powdercoat the frame?

Last edited by ECAMERON87; 06-24-2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:48 PM   #6
RCC Addict

do you guys have pics of the 1:1 white knight?
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECAMERON87
I thought that his first one was a K5, but then he built the S10 onto a cut down one ton crew cab frame. I wasn't sure if any of the K5 made it onto the hybrid S10. Anyway, I think the 1:1 is way to0 top heavy to be a competition crawler, but it looked real nice so I decided to try it.

SuperSancho, I would be interested to see your project. How much is it to powdercoat the frame?
I think they still used the k5's seat brackets maybe
Old 06-30-2005, 06:55 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Default Updated Pics.

OK, I am very close to being done with the frame. I need to clean it up and paint it, then add some body panels. I took it on a test run and boy does it run slow. I think that I geared it too low. So far it climbs very well with the weight if the motor over the axle. I am heading off to Utah on vacation tomorrow and I will take it on some more serious obsticals along the way. Here are some pics.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Default A few More

Some pics of the tranny and motor. My dremil rotary tool is broken, so all my joints look crappy. As soon as I fix it, I will probably use a wire wheel cleen them up.

Sorry the pics are so big.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

lookin good. Man everyone has a tuber these days
Old 07-01-2005, 07:36 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Yeah, if someone would make a Samurai or 69-72 Blazer body, then I would have gone with one of those.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Looks great! I really like the lines you have in the design. It looks sleek!

How do you like your links set up that way? Is there any noticeable 'torque steer'? Does it lift a tire when it climbs steep obstacles?

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see the finished product.
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:20 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Default Torque steer

I haven't seen much torque steer yet, but then I haven't taken it out on any real obsticals. I used this link setup because I didn't have the clearance to attach them to the top of the servo. It would hit the motor. The downer about the way I have the links set up is that there is not much verticle travel. I get maybe 1-3/4 to 2 inches. Not much verticle travel is needed when crawling.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:15 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Looks very good.
Love it ;)
Rikpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:40 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Default After test run.

Well it climbs pretty well. I wish I knew how it climbs compared to other TLT's. I do have the torque steer problem bad. It got a lot better once I flattened out the front axle pinion angle.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:42 PM   #16

That is wicked!!!
White Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:52 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Default Thanks

Thanks, WhiteKnight, that means a lot. I am a big fan of your rig and S-10s in general. I am almost done with this one. I just have to take it apart, add more supports and tabs for panels, then paint it. I am just having too much fun with it to break it down again!
Old 09-29-2005, 07:30 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Default painted

Well, I painted it a while ago and it is already scratched up. Here is the latest. I had a hood for it, but I lost it while off roading in the Blazer.