Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SW2 to SW3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default SW2 to SW3

Well i have had a SW3 chassis for a while now, and got bored yesterday so i figured i would switch the SW2 out for the SW3. First thing i noticed is the center of gravity is way lower, even with a higher center clearance. And that stock tlt shocks wont work for this one. I stole some shocks off my tmaxx and ordered some losi springs today that i will be swaping out. I am also planning to put dig on it since ive already got the radio set up, just need the reciever. Specs are:

tlt axles
645mg
pede tranny
55 turn
moped esc
tq3 radio
random suspension links make to about a 12 1/4" wb.

I still am looking for ways to lower the cog because it still is a little higher than i would like. The positon the battery is in now is about the lowest i can get it. Maybe thinking of getting a saddle pack. Any cheap ways to do this without buying anything else? I have a body i will paint as soon as i get paint. there is a norcal comp next Sunday, so i will have to tune and get used to driving it by then. Also i kept getting hung up on the tranny so i cut it up, and ended up slicing the dremel blade into my finger. So let me know what you think. Oh, and here is the original thread of my SW2.

SW2 Jeep

Now, the things i need but can't afford....

Hammer M2 tires, beadlocks, wideners, some real links (there is cracks in the ones i have cause i bent em too far. ) dig, a new 3 channel reciever to control the dig servo, and i really would like some more power. Now, how im going to get that power is beyond me. A new battery would mean a new esc to handle it. A new motor wouldnt do me much good, since ive only got a 6 cell pack. So i would have to upgrade the battery to provide enough power to the motor, and then i would need a new esc to handle the power. So, ya im kinda stuck on what to do. Ill update this with outside pics once i get new springs and paint the body up.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yeah but that was a very good start I think your gonna like your SW3
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Keep it real

Brian, the biggest effect on your CG would be the battery, going to a split pack on the axle would make a tremendous difference, but you already know that

Nathan
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Im Brandon

Great start Brian, cant wait to check it out on Sunday. Your jeep is one of my fav's I am sure this wont be any different
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Ok, thats what i thought. Now ive got to go tell my dad i need to buy more stuff... I think ill wait a little bit to get it, and just run it this way for a little while. The moped can only handle a 6 cell, right? I think going to a 7 cell would burn it up.

Thanks Brandon! But if i do something crazy with it this time, i dont have the tlt shocks to say haha i beat you with my cheapo jeep.

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 04-28-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have ran a Moped on a 9 cell pack with no issues.Here is the one I used.
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

you will see/tell a big difference in the SW3 over the SW2 . Both my 2 and 3 served me well . I no longer have the SW2 but the 3 want be going anywhere anytime soon . I upped my game alot with my SW3 ( HQQD Rat ) . My first big Comp East Coast Championship I took home 4th .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd View Post
you will see/tell a big difference in the SW3 over the SW2 . Both my 2 and 3 served me well . I no longer have the SW2 but the 3 want be going anywhere anytime soon . I upped my game alot with my SW3 ( HQQD Rat ) . My first big Comp East Coast Championship I took home 4th .
Yea, the best thing i like about the 3 is that i can still keep the cg low but get more clearance than i had with the 2. I got hung up on a lot of little things that i had to reverse out of. But i am going to keep my sw2, i love it. I want to build a rig for my dad using that one so when he takes me to all these comps, he can drive for a change.

Im going to pick up some paint and body posts today. i will mask the body off this afternoon and paint it tomorrow. Also my springs should be here tomorrow. I am going to go with a blue/silver or a blue/black color scheme. Im not the best painter, but i want to try some stuff like stripes or something.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Ok, got my springs in the mail from rpp hobby tuesday, and that helped a lot with the flex. There is some binding in the front, not really sure what is causing it. But thats ok, because it is limiting the suspension to about where i want it. Im still trying to figure out where the bind is though. Today i got my body painted up also. I wasnt sure about it when i was in the process of painting it, but in the end it turned out better than i expected. There was some bleeding on the edges, but what can i expect with plain masking tape and rattle cans. But i like the darker look to it. Ill see how it works at the Nor-cal comp on Sunday. Im not that used to driving it, and will be putting as many packs through it before then to get a feel for it. Just hope i dont break anything.

Flex shot.. perfect!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #10
Keep it real

Oh, you'll be fine Brian, I barely had any drive time on my SW3 before the Axial Donner comp last summer, and it worked out pretty good for me
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Thanks to CKRC Crawlers, i got some upgrades. Jake saw me run at the norcal comp and offered to give me some wideners for free! He also threw in 2 shirts, some wheel weights, a ton of stickers, and his old bug comp body! So, after putting some of those on, i got this. The wideners arent on there because with the offset of these pede wheels it would make it too wide for my liking. I will get some new tires and beadlocks soon and use the wideners then.

Check out the skid.

Also i got a video of it. I cannot believe i made this climb, i NEVER would have been able to before with the SW2. This is the first time i have ever run moabs and i am fairly impressed. They didnt hook up as good in some places as the mashers did, but still overall a very decent tire in a M2 compound. Even with all the new tires coming out.

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 05-25-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: vid is done