Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Duke's Banana build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-hills4x4 View Post
so how you liking the 3s dave? they got more in today
Great, don't know why I stayed with two cells so long. Might have to make a run for another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupers View Post
You've got a great looking truck there. I want to get a set of thoose wheels just for the box they come in. Hows the VF working for you I'm thinking of getting one for my black jack.
Thanks, the VP wheels are worth the money for sure. I like the VF, I was running the rc4wd R2D in my SW3 and the VF seems to be smoother and a little more reliable. I have not had any issues so far during my testing.

Got my custom grappler today, should not have a problem seein this one. I think it looks good cut down. Turn the color down I can't be held accountable for eye damage.

raul duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

That body looks awesome...
Thanks...
CrawlerGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

looks good Duke
fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Got my 5955 servo and Panther Cougars yesterday. Man these tires look and feel nice, very different from the Rock Claws evan though they appear similar. The grip is outstanding, only problem I saw was the tire tended to fold a bit on sidehills, I am sure nothing that a hybrid reach foam or similar wouldn't fix. Still need to test them at all the regular haunts before drawing a conclusion. But for now.

Ummmmmm grippy.

Still concerned about a couple week spots in the drive train. Need RCP lockers front and rear and CVD's in front. Lack of CVD became apperent last saturday when I took about a foot fall and snapped the TLT stub axle in half. At least there is no sortage in those.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Looking good...
CrawlerGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I decided against my better judgement to give the ol' Banana the comp test this past weekend at the SoCal series final. I figured if I didn't give up to many points I would be ok for the series standings. The Banana deffinatly held it's own, everything I took on it performed well, until I got a little excited on the second gate of the first course and flipped. So I busted a front axle and shreaded some R&P and finshed the course on three wheels. Rest of the courses went great.

Memory foams all around on the Panthers were a bit to grabby for my liken, front end wanted to lift a little on the steep stuff, need somthing a little firmer in the rear. Gonna try some proline foams for now. Also decided to try out some Poulson axles to see how they mate with the Banana chassis. Should be in the mail today. That should prove fun!

Last edited by raul duke; 05-28-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #27
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul duke View Post
I
...Also decided to try out some Poulson axles to see how they mate with the Banana chassis. Should be in the mail today. That should prove fun!
Cool!! That should be pretty interesting
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:40 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Nice set up very clean build. Keep us informed with your Poulson axle upgrade I'm also interested in them and I'd like to hear your opinion. I'm juggling the idea of max built Axial or Poulson axles for my rig right now, I'm currently running maxed out TLTs.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

nice nana, cant wait to build mine up.
littleskull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

where'd you get the springs for the Mini LST shocks? I've been trying to find something that will be a bit stiffer than the stockers.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I'm juggling the idea of max built Axial or Poulson axles for my rig right now, I'm currently running maxed out TLTs.
That's what happend to me, build another set of maxed out TLTs or go with something different. The Poulson axles just look to good to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
where'd you get the springs for the Mini LST shocks? I've been trying to find something that will be a bit stiffer than the stockers.
The fronts were off a 1/18 scale buggy, I think an aftermarket spring for the Vendetta. The rears are off an old 1/18 scale Cen Mini madness truck.
http://www.customrccars.com/product_...at=24&custom=0 Had all this stuff leftover from my 1/18 scale days.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Got the Poulson axles in yesterday, thanks Mike, great work. Basically usin the same set up as before, I just had to re-make all the links. Still need to make new delrin lowers. Hope to get out soon for some testin.

Still need to round all the corners and take the nubs off the diffs to make them more rock freindly.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #33

Lookin good
73mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Poulsons Look Good. I Got Some A Month Ago And Went Out To Test Yesterday And Wohlford. I Really Like The Ground Clearence. Your Rig Looks Great.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

Those revolver wheels look great, but I didn't see on the vp site that they had any means for venting the tire. Did you have to drill holes in your wheels?
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmonster View Post
Those revolver wheels look great, but I didn't see on the vp site that they had any means for venting the tire. Did you have to drill holes in your wheels?
Yep, that was the first thing I did. You need to put them close to the outside edge so you don't block the holes with the weight slugs like I did at first.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Finally got some time to finish work on the Poulsons. Got all the hang up spots smoothed down. I have had to tweak the suspension a bit to compensate for the extra hieght you get with the axles, but so far I am very happy with this set up. The axles deffinatly have their advantages.

Just got some NTC Rock hammer hybrid foams in the mail today so I will be giving those a try with the Panthers shortly.

Last edited by raul duke; 06-19-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Looks great David
Wow, what a contender... Look out WCCC competitors!

Just got my TopBanana built this week... working out the bugs and fine tuning it as we speak

See you next week!
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #39
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Were you able to use stock mini LST springs to tune the suspension? Or did you have to modify some? Your crawler looks very nice
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Were you able to use stock mini LST springs to tune the suspension? Or did you have to modify some? Your crawler looks very nice
You can use the stock springs but I am using a combo of 1/18 scale cen racing springs and associated buggy springs.

Got to test the Rock hammer foams out today and will have to say they are a good combo with the Panther Cougars. Runnin the #8 and #5's. Only bad part about today was when one of those big a$$ beefy cvd's exploded on me. Have to question wether they are hardend or not. Now I'm in a pinch to find a replacement before WCCC next week.