Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Some Progress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Some Progress

I managed to get enough done to the TLT this weekend to be worth posting. Built the servo mounts, and chassis yesterday.I would have just bought a chassis but it`s so damn hard to get a Bulu. Today I got it mostly together. Still need to setup the steering links, figure out what I want do about drive shafts and figure out where to put the electronics. I did the three link rear with an old max upper arm shortend 3/8" with a large XTM link, and Revo 137mm lowers, the front lnks are Savage turnbuckles shortend all the way down for the uppers and some old X-Factor canti links for the lowers. WB is right at 12.5". I have started on some 1/4" Alu U shaped uppers to 3 link both ends but still need to finish them. The tranny is of course a Pede laying flat, latter on I would like to build a tranny similar to AZVaders. Will start off with a lathe motor and 20/81 gearing and see how that works, I want to run a 3s Li-Po so I may need to lower the gearing, we`ll see. The pullers are just for mock up, I will get some M2Ks or Moabs when it`s running. I think the shocks are from a Nitro MT, not sure though.

This is my first TLT so you pros take a look and tell me if I`ve done anything wrong or make any sugestions that will help. So far I think this one is going to work well, but I wont know till I get it in a rock pile.

Last edited by 4XADICT; 07-17-2005 at 05:20 PM.
4XADICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking rig, get it done so we can see it wheel.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

That thing is a piece. Honestly. Horrible. I wish I could burn it. In fact, send it to me, for burning... I'll PM you my address. If you want I'll cover shipping just so I can take that thing off the existence of this planet. But first, you have to send it to me. Along with the electronics and any other parts you might have made for it.

HOLY JEEBUS! Why the hell would you want a bulu??? Your fabrication skills look awesome. The chassis is very good and sleek. The hole stance of the truck is one to be reckoned with. I would have saved that one for the World Crawler build off. You might even try running the pullers, they might work pretty decently for crawling. Also, it looks like you're running a 60/40 split for links. Is that just how it looks because of the pics, or is that how you have it set up? Boy, I hope mine doesn't come out looking too similar, cuz that was what I was going after. I just hoped I could beat someone to the punch. Awesome work!
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

awsome looking chassis! But it does look to be "backwards" you said the three link was on the back. but on my rig the endbell of the motor faces forward. On yours the endbell faces the Maxx a-arm link(rear 3-link) thus "backwards"
But I do like the chassis. having trouble w/mine.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks alot guys, the complements mean alot.

Plays.... If it`s realy that bad then go ahead and send your address...
Yes it`s split, the rear links are about 1 1/2" longer than the front ones. I completely forgot about the build off, oh well.

Disturbin... You are right, the tranny IS backwards. Thanks for pointing that out. Damn I never even thought about the rotation of the axles being reverse from my big trucks. I just mounted it up the same direction it is in my Savage crawler. Since the chassis and skid plate have a front and rear and one side has clearance cut for the motor I guess I`ll just have to reverse the rotation of the motor. Guess I`m off to use the search to find out how time this thing now.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Heheh, nah, I've got some ideas of my own. They were supposed to blow all the other TLT's out of the water, but I think you've set the bar so much higher for comp based chassis TLT's out there. The only ones that look better are the super detailed shelf queens.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I think you just turn the endbell 180* in relation from the can. Just mark the can where the screw is then spin 180*, line up mark, tighten=done.

BTW love the chassis!! Would you be willing to make another??
Old 07-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

We`ll just have too wait and see if it works first, but I feel like it should be able to hold it`s own. I`ll have it at the Green River comp and hopefull there will other TLT setups to compare it too.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE

BTW love the chassis!! Would you be willing to make another??

Don`t know. All I have to work with is a drill press, file , and tape measure , so it takes a good bit of time to get it right. Believe it or not but I have as much time in the skid plate as I do the side plates, both ends are bent up and all edges are radiused for as snag free surface as possible. Also it`s set up for 4" shocks in the rear and 3 1/2" front so the front shock towers would need a little redesign for 4" all around which is pretty much the standard. Lots of variables to consider. I`ll think on it awhile.

Almost forgot the poser pics .........

Last edited by 4XADICT; 07-17-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ya I know what you mean by lots of time. got about 3 weeks in mine and it totally SUCKS!! but oh well.... back to the drawing board
Old 07-17-2005, 08:18 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

u got n e dimensions on that chassis and the awesome skid plate....damn i want one of thoes or at least make one.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Plans I could probably do next time it`s apart, I designed it on the alum then started drilling and cutting, so I don`t have any thing on paper. I have auto cad but can`t do much with it.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

thats chill next time its apart just try to take some pics with a tape measure up against it.... i really would just like to kno how u held the tranny in and the cross members on the bottom....are they of a savage?

also whats ur gc?
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Man, it`s a pain to figure out the best locations for the electronics, there just isn`t much room to work with. I was going to use a smaller ECS till I noticed it will only handle 8.4 volts and I plan to run 11.1v, so I guess the S Rooster will have to squeez in somewhere.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:13 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Add a few more crossmembers and put some lexan sheets across the cross members, held with zip ties, then you can mountyour electronics that way.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #16
Colt Python/SR9c

That is very nice Erick.. great fab work there
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #17
06 Super National Champ

Looking good.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:49 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

have you run this yet? and how do the pullers perform, I've been eye-balling them at my lhs going hmmmm.
moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:09 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Not yet. Maybe Sun if the LHS has what I need today.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:55 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

DAMN that looks nice. And i thought mine was going to be a force to rekon with when it get's done being revamped. Nice job on the chassis.
TylerV is offline   Reply With Quote