Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Wife Version 2.0 ....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default The Wife Version 2.1 (8-12-05) ....

Well I was finally able to spend some time with The Wife. I got my BIG tools out and tore her into little pieces. Then I did some modifications and screwed her back together.......

First major change was I made a 8-cell pack out of some 2/3A GP1100's. I've been using a custom 6-cell pack of SubC 3000mAh. So that will put her on a good diet...

Second major change was to install a new Traxxas reciever so I can run both my RC's with my TQ3. That way I don't have to pack around 2 transmitters (one AM and one FM) like I have been!

Third Major change and probably the most important was to mount the NEW battery pack onto the TLT axle. I didn't want to copy everyone else and put it on my top links or even on the servo. So I came up with my own idea.... Well I hadn't seen anyone move the servo over and put a mini pack next to it. Plus this should help with the chassis twist of a shafty. With some quick testing using a piece of plywood with sandpaper nailed to it, I set the board to 45-50 degrees. And then I placed another obsticle on the left side to simulate a really bad situation for shafty twist. well placing the battery on one side of the axle made a noticeable difference! So I made a plate to bolt the servo, battery and new reciever to the front axle. This plate also is used to limit the total droop to give it a better climb stance. I think it turned out GREAT...

The Fourth thing I did was I angled the layed down Pede tranny down in the front and up in the back. Doing this should give me more belly clearance under the back of the tranny and near the center of the RC where you need it the most. Theres no rule that says your belly has to be parrallel to the ground. I wanted to go more than I did, but this wil just have to do for now....

The Fifth thing I did was to install a new right rear rim since I spun the hex in the wheel really bad! These little 12mm hexes suck....

The last thing I did was I lowered the body probably about 1/2"-3/4". Lower is better, right!

This picture shows the new balance point is really far forward! It also kinda shown the angling belly...

Heres the NEW battery next to the servo....

Heres the new axle plate.....

Heres what the belly looks like.

So far I really like the changes I made to 'The Wife's' TLT Version 2.0.
Lower CG. Cab forward design is even better. Gained a little flex. Gained a little speed. Climbs better and even steer stuff. Overall I really like it!

Last edited by 4RnrRick; 06-05-2008 at 10:50 AM.
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2005, 02:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

looks good . i bet that thing will beat a blulu no problem. i like that idea of having the chassis tilted forward. casue i always get the rear hung up but rarely the front . so i might have to try that.
tlt shocks in the rear huh? im actually still using my stock shocks on my chassis cause traxxas shocks make my ride hight to high ,and im too lazy to make new mounts lol.
i dont know why everyone hates them, mine are just stiff enough to have good flex and i dont get much tourqe twist at all. i guess i actually like them i think thats the first time ive heard anyone say that about the tlt shocks. lol
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:12 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm only using those POS TLT shocks because thats what I got...... But to make mine work I had to remove the o-rings and run no fluid! so basically they are just springs.......
Old 07-23-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

Great idea with the battery! I knew it was only a matter of time until someone got one down there on the TLT.

I'm using a 7 cell 2500 mAh AA pack on my Clod mounted right there. Works like a charm.

Is that a Mini body? The rear fenderwell is weird I think. Not cut out?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It appears to be the stock Trail Blazer body that they sell with the Max Climber. Actually for what it is, you pulled it off nicely. I agree though, cut out the rear fender so that it doesnt have that body line.

I like it though. To questions...

How often does she run it?

How often do you run it ?

I get the idea though.
USATorque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 11:26 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

That first pic I thought I was looking at a clod.

Looks sharp. One of the sharpest TLT's I have seen (minus the flowers) next to the Tuber that JoMauma has.

Last edited by FrankyRizzo; 07-23-2005 at 11:29 AM.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

Or like an Isuzu Amigo.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I run a 5 Cell Sub C on my frony axle and i love it. I just did the mod yesterday and i can crawl twice what i could last week. Pretty Clever with The Rear Servo Plate.

Cya
lunardaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by USATorque55
It appears to be the stock Trail Blazer body that they sell with the Max Climber.
Yeah, thats the stock Max Climber lexan......

Quote:
How often does she run it?
She has driven it a couple times....

Quote:
How often do you run it ?.
Maybe a dozen times...... So Far....
Old 07-24-2005, 09:16 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I took it out for some running with the ORCRC guys today at Spring Park and all I can really say is that it Hang'n with the top Oregon Bulu's! I really can't be happier. Theres certain obsticles that I can do that they couldn't and vice versa! I think I even convinced a few of them to try a layed down tranny design.... So that must be saying something. Now its time for me to make some more GP1100 Mini packs so I can play with it longer. I would show you some pictures of it on real terrain but I was having so much fun I never got out my camera! But I think Toyofast and Rbgerrish had theirs out. Maybe they might post some pictures......

And for the people that don't know, this is what Version 1 looked like....
The Wife's 2.2 is done.....
Old 07-25-2005, 08:28 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
Well I was finally able to spend some time with The Wife. I got my BIG tools out and tore her into little pieces. Then I did some modifications and screwed her back together.......
Looking at this statement I don't know whether to laugh or call the police!

Rig looks great! That sure is one loaded up axle! I have my pede tranny laid down as well for a low COG but I like your design alot better. It's simpler and better laid out I think.

Good work, I can't wait to see some video of it.

Cheers!
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:35 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Now you need one of those tiny brushless motors to realy get the cog down.
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:25 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman
Now you need one of those tiny brushless motors to realy get the cog down.
You buy it (and the controler) and I will put it in!
Old 08-13-2005, 12:04 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Well I finally got the TLT tweaked and ready for the next ORCRC comp which is in two days.... So here it is (The Wife Version 2.1)....

As for changes, A lot has changed...

* I replaced a fried BlueBird BMS-630MG for a New BlueBird BMS-660MG W/ Heat sink.

* I redesigned the front axle mounting plate for a little better steering geometery and a better battery holddown.

* I reconfigured the 2/3 A Battery pack to a more standard setup which is much easier to solder.

* I installed 2.2 Moabs on REALLY narrow HPI rims.

* I finally ditched the rear TLT shocks for some real ones and changed their oreintation on the chassis.

* I redid my rear upper link mount and steering lockouts

I think that was most of it......

Last edited by 4RnrRick; 06-05-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:10 AM   #15
2006 2.2 National Champ

That looks sick!! I dig the new rear upper link mount, very clean and simple!!

You need to convince the wife to ditch that body though.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh you stole my idea!!!!

jk, good to see my ideas being implemented.
Frkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:34 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

This is easily my Favourite truck on this website. I love the body, Never change it! I can't say anything but state the obvious so im just going to say: Great Job and your pretty clever.

Good Luck, Cya
lunardaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:47 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

how narrow are your rims, cause I just narrowed some stampede rims to just under 23mm and was starting to think they were too narrow.
moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:26 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

WoW I love the new set-up
The side view pic kinda looks like a frog jumping w/ it's legs extnded...kewl
Llet us know how it performs
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

4RnrRick when you installed the Traxxas steel drive yokes did you have to modify the yoke or axles at all or were they a direct bolt on? Thanx alot!!

P.S. Here's the link to the parts I'm referring to: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...8x&FVPROFIL=++

Mike
Mikey007 is offline   Reply With Quote