Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Badger's first TLT build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

dude ur 4 link is setup JUST fine...i love that chassis i bet you can do some pretty crazy stuff with ur COG that low... and did u extend the pede shafts? Also how wide is the chassis? Dude if this is gonna even become a mess around crawler i would todally suggest going 4ws... its sooo freakin nice!!

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 08-02-2005 at 10:06 AM.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

I'm not a 4link expert either so nothing in the pics made me think that. I was just curious.

My tlt has a similar link setup in the rear w/ laydown tranny and it does have the dreaded torque steer. Right now I have I have the front upper links mounted on top of the servo so the axle 'sways' left/right. I'm about to redo them to where they mount behind the servo such as yours. I'm starting to think that the torque steer is a result of this 'sway action' coming from the front. maybe??? I dunno

It's all trial and error for me :?
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

I think i may have a solution for you CMAN let me see if i understood this right... your axle when articulation sways away from the chassis if so i have a solution because i had the same problem. Here is the solution... Bring the links to one pivot point on the chassis. Check it out. A before and after link setup and articulation shot. Also moving the links in almost eliminated the shafty twist!

Here is how i had my links setup b 4.

Here is an artic shot when the links were set up like above. Look how far the axle sways out.

Here is my new link set up with all the links mounted at the same pivot point on the chassis

And an artic shot of the new link set up... the axle stays so nice and clost to the chassis that i had to cut up the stock body!

I hope it doesnt seem like i took this thread over but i wanted to help

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 08-02-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #24
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman_1500w
I'm not a 4link expert either so nothing in the pics made me think that. I was just curious.

My tlt has a similar link setup in the rear w/ laydown tranny and it does have the dreaded torque steer. Right now I have I have the front upper links mounted on top of the servo so the axle 'sways' left/right. I'm about to redo them to where they mount behind the servo such as yours. I'm starting to think that the torque steer is a result of this 'sway action' coming from the front. maybe??? I dunno

It's all trial and error for me :?
I don't know what to tell you Cman, I learned everything I know about 4 links from Rckjeep. I asked him many questions on link placement when building this rig and I think he was right because it does not move at all side to side and seems to work killer. I think you can get torqe steer from your front axle swaying back and forth.

nd4spdbh - no problem at all. That is what this forum is for, to learn from others builds.

I do plan on making a couple changes tonight. I am going to add some bump stops in the rear shocks to prevent it from flexing so much and I am going to take the skid plate off and trim about 1/8 - 1/4" off the bottom of the chassis to bring the lower links closer to the bottom of the chassis and raise the skid up a little bit more. After taking the close up pics of the links mounted on the chassis I can see wasted space underneath them.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

That really makes sense. Thanks for posting the pics to show the difference. I am going to try it on my TXT to see how it does.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

i run mine the same as nd4spd and i can vouch for that link setup. There is little or no torque twist and i have no problem with torque steer. my upper links are triangulated at the chassis point and the lower links are on the outside of the chassis. i have a pic of it but cant find it at the moment.
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

The performance of the rig is amazing IMO and that one the first run! I can't wait to get this up against a Bulu rig and spank it when I get new tires.This is from badger.i am not going say anything about the set up you have but the bulu that i have well smoke your frist born..yes rember your truck worked good next to crawler called (follow me)but the bulu two.smoke it.next monday just bring it ha ha ha SAN CARLOS next monday at 4pm are we still on.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

badger is gonna wop upon the bulus BY FAR!!!! there will be no comp do to the fact his cog is soo god dam LOW!!!! im makein me a chassis like this i just need to get a some aluminium. But i think ima make my sikd plate out of cutting board material... aluminum sticks to rocks the cuttin board just slides OH **** did i let that out.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

How could that body be ugly? It has a blue oval!
I would like to see some vid of it climbing
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:41 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep
The performance of the rig is amazing IMO and that one the first run! I can't wait to get this up against a Bulu rig and spank it when I get new tires.This is from badger.i am not going say anything about the set up you have but the bulu that i have well smoke your frist born..yes rember your truck worked good next to crawler called (follow me)but the bulu two.smoke it.next monday just bring it ha ha ha SAN CARLOS next monday at 4pm are we still on.

Hay Rich this is the chassis that I built with the help of you and Badger that is why it is called RBX so if he beats you it is with your own input you gave me and his idea too! Oh if the people in la la land do not understand it is R= Rich B= Badger and X= expermintal from BBY:-)
RandyatBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep
LMAO! There is no dowbt that the bulu's kick ***, we have all seen them in action.

BUT, you cannot argue with my LOWER CG then your bulu tlt. And if your setup beats mine next monday then I will be very suprised. But I have 1 run of R&D behind my rig and you have many so that means mine can only get better the more I test it.

On to the changes I made tonight!

1. Since I lowered the ride height the links flattened out which gave me a longer wheel base (around 12.75") so I shortened the front links a 1/4" to bring the WB back down to 12.5".

2. I added bump stops on my rear shocks because I am a firm believer that you can have too much travel and from what I saw on the first run I felt I needed them.

3. I raped my T4 of it's body and fitted it on my rig. I can now sleep at night knowing that my TLT does not scare baby's when the stroll by.

4. I can't remember what the last thing I changed was.... it's on the tip of my brain.... I just can't put my finger on it....

Old 08-03-2005, 03:12 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Hrmm I wonder what that was . . . . .
;p
btw your beads slipping out on that last pic >_>
and are they as soft as they look???
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkoifish
Hrmm I wonder what that was . . . . .
;p
btw your beads slipping out on that last pic >_>
and are they as soft as they look???

actually the bead where it looks like it is slipping out is actually seated perfecty, it's the rest of the bead that not seated properly and actually tucked in a little to much. That is from these tires being SOO sticky, they just do not want to slip down on the bead 100%. And that was after many times trying to get them perfect so I said scew it and just tightened them down.

Proline did a perfect job IMO on these tires! They are tall and narrow and the M2 compound is simply amazing.

Here is a warning to the Nor-Cal crew.... We are going to have a 2.2 comp real soon at San Carlos and if you are not running Prolines M2K's or moabs you will not win.

Simply put, Proline makes comp winning tires.

Oh and for all the torqe steer problems you guys are having. I think you might be getting that from the posistions you mounted your links and shocks on the axles. I could be wrong, but I don't have ANY torqe steer.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Im speachless on how awsome it looks!!you guys did a great job!!.If that ever goes into production i would buy one,it would be awsome to have a norcal built chassis.

Last edited by bigred; 08-03-2005 at 04:07 PM.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

looks great badger I definitely like the new body better

Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I am not impressed how the body looks on it. Maybe a different one down the road will look better.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

badger
how did you make your bead locks?
romeo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo26
badger how did you make your bead locks?
they are these:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LX2445&P=K
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:33 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

so thats all ill need
romeo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:28 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

B.F.TLT work great with the bulu on sunday.you will see all the crazy thing we did in the video that was taking.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote