Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT Scratch build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #1

Default TLT Scratch build

Blend of steel / Al. Ill let the pics talk and will be posting new things ea day I progress. Also anyone know where I can find a hefty piece of plastic/delrin for a skid plate and shock towers (rather not have to drill multiple holes in metal again if i can avoid it, space shown below in pics)?

-D

r32drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2008, 07:20 PM   #2

Welded up a bumper after work today. So far I've only used our mig welder on this build and will most likely only use that for joining metals. Point and click :] (well sorta)

Old 08-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
RCC Addict

well if you are in the bay area, it looks like you have a few tap plastics in the bay area. http://www.tapplastics.com/stores/index.html? I go to the one here in tigard, oregon and they are friendly and knowledgable. I'd go for some hdpe though if money is an issue. Similar characteristics as delrin but its white but i believe it is dyeable. its a quarter the cost of delrin. good luck on the project!
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #4

(tampa) bay area in fl :/ thx though ill prob be able to find a plastics shop like that nearby
Old 09-02-2008, 12:46 AM   #5

Why not just cut up a cheap cutting board, it's pretty much the same meterial. And a heck of a lot easier to find, not to mention cheaper.
McCutchenca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #6

Wow never thought of that one, thanks a bunch!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by r32drifter View Post
(tampa) bay area in fl :/ thx though ill prob be able to find a plastics shop like that nearby
oh haha that is not the bay area that comes to mind here on the west coast. well they take orders too. and their are quite a few suppliers on the interenet if you just type in delrin or plastic supply(ier) and ebay sometimes has some. But I would first check your phone book. Always buy local if you can.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #8

thx for the tip :] also what kind of blade should i use to cut the plastic? would a metal cut off wheel work or would that just muck up the blade?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by r32drifter View Post
thx for the tip :] also what kind of blade should i use to cut the plastic? would a metal cut off wheel work or would that just muck up the blade?
hmmm. well delrin is pretty easy-cutting stuff. Probably my favorite material to work with. i have never had it melt from cutting it. Sooo you could try it and if it starts to not look so great you can always just stop and try something else. The ideal way is to mill it but i doubt you have a mill. but if you have a rotary tool you can try using a mill bit with the router guide attachment. I personally have used a hack saw which works fine with a blade i use for cutting aluminum and would probably work even better with a wood and plastics blade, but now I have a $99 band saw from home depot that I use with the all-purpose blade that it comes with and that works great. fast, pretty tight turning radius, and cuts like warm butter. it doesn't leave that smooth of an edge but it gets the job done. there is also scroll saws that will give similar results to a band saw but more precise, sharper turning (up to zero radius), and probably cleaner cuts. hope this gives you some insight.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #10

i just got back from my calc class and decided to pick up a cutting board (thx McCutchenca) at walmart, 15x20x1/4 in. weird thing is that we have a mill but not a band saw. i think ill try the chop saw and see if it melts it if it does ive still got a lot more board and can try other mentioned cutting options
Old 09-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #11

Finished the skid plate and painting now I'm having problems with where to mount the shocks at. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (draw on photos below via MS Paint). After I get that done I'll just be waiting on a body (chopping the bed to add in a caged end) and tranny to get here. Starting to come together, hope you like. Thanks in advance for any tips.

-D
Old 09-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #12

No, I wont be using that tire/wheel combo (using 1.9 hummer wheels and still have yet to decide the treads to get). It was just what I had at the moment.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Well if you are asking, I assume your shocks are too long to just mount right to the chassis rails? So I think the coolest way would be some hoops but vertical plates will do fine with some spacers to get the shocks out of the way of the chassis.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #14

well i planned on doin some vertical plates with the tlt stock shocks (rear set will be replaced with another set of tlts just waiting to get those ). The only thing is the position of the plates, idk if I should do a straight up and down shock or angled back (and how far back). Plus for the rear, I might do the slant in to the center of the chassis like shown below. I'm trying to go for more of a trail truck and not too crazy of a crawler (not many rocks here in FL).

Old 09-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #15

okk well i got a k2 3l in today and managed to put it all together nicely and get it runnin, now just to mount the body and weld up a truggy end to it (08 silverado)

Old 09-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #16

Default very cool little build man!

very cool little build man!
its-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #17

Now for some updates, going to have the truggy end mounted as soon as i can find some metal i can use to make mounting tabs.

I know, I really need to do something with that red servo arm.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #18

The truggy end is nearing completion.....