Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT axle help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #1

Default TLT axle help

I know I dont post much but had a few question's for you hardcore crawler guys..

I have a CORR project brewing and just got a idea thats of the beaten path, I would like to use a tlt axle in the rear of my project but was unsure if there was a Way to mount a strong slider (plastic or steal) to the axle. An will the tlt axle be able to handle life behind a brush less motor on 3S???

this is the start

what I would like to do is use a strait axle for the rear.
its-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I have a TLT a CR-01 and a High Lift....

Of the 3, I think I would use a CR-01 axle, the axle housing seems a bit stronger....

Just my 2 cents......
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking the same thing a while back. I used the hell out of mine for crawling, but unless you get the ring and pinion set just right they are going to wear fast behind that motor. This also will vary if you have it locked or not. You won't be nearly as heavy, and you won't be hooking up like a crawler. Hell try it, you won't be out anything if you already have the axle. Make sure you build it so that you can use a different axle if you have to.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
I was thinking the same thing a while back. I used the hell out of mine for crawling, but unless you get the ring and pinion set just right they are going to wear fast behind that motor. This also will vary if you have it locked or not. You won't be nearly as heavy, and you won't be hooking up like a crawler. Hell try it, you won't be out anything if you already have the axle. Make sure you build it so that you can use a different axle if you have to.
I see what your saying, ill mock it up with the axle and four link then watch ebay for a wheelie king axle.. or do you guys have any suggestions?

that loop aint staying
Old 09-14-2008, 01:57 AM   #5

Cut some carbon today.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Lookin really good, again the same thing I was thinking, but with a gt2 front end.
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That is a great looking build.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I don't think the wheely king axle would be stronger than a well built TLT. I would buy a the RC4WD straight axles, an RCP locker and pinion, RCP rear lock outs, add some bearings and your done. The RCP pinion comes pre-drilled so you can run a Traxxas Maxx shaft or Revo shaft for the drive shaft. It should be plenty strong under any condition. This is a cool truck you are building.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Did you make sure that the ratios for the front and rear diff are the same? That would be my only concern with using a tlt axle. There are tons of upgrades for it so you can make it bullet proof. Just be sure the gear ratios are the same or you will be blowin stuff up real quick. looks good btw
supercrawlerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrawlerfreak View Post
Did you make sure that the ratios for the front and rear diff are the same? That would be my only concern with using a tlt axle. There are tons of upgrades for it so you can make it bullet proof. Just be sure the gear ratios are the same or you will be blowin stuff up real quick. looks good btw
Hahaha and thats the reasoning behind the CD, there really is no way for me to even get a ratio close enough to match.. Front will be under driven (lower ratio) and if the CD doesn't help any ill just make a strait axle. Kind of got the axle planned out already.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
Lookin really good, again the same thing I was thinking, but with a gt2 front end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
That is a great looking build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I don't think the wheely king axle would be stronger than a well built TLT. I would buy a the RC4WD straight axles, an RCP locker and pinion, RCP rear lock outs, add some bearings and your done. The RCP pinion comes pre-drilled so you can run a Traxxas Maxx shaft or Revo shaft for the drive shaft. It should be plenty strong under any condition. This is a cool truck you are building.
Thank you ver much guys.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:46 AM   #12

Some parts came in and got more done today..

redid this..

Motor is only for mock up.

What do you guys think? should I run twin lipo's and get creative with the mounting of electronics? Or should I just run one lipo?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #13
MWRCA'er

In reguards to will the the TLT axle be strong enough? In my experence under very similar usage, no. With a 5000KV motor on 6 cells I got maybe 8 good runs. On 11.1 lipo I got one run, I carefully shimed them to. The ring and pinions just can't take the load. Don't waste your money on upgrading the TLT components. Go to a Axial axle available at most places for under $40. The Axial axle is far more burly as far as gear train goes and you can buy the nessisary gear to make the axle have a open diff. I've been beating the heck out of my trophy truck 3c lipo with 5000kv motor all season never once had a issue. Even if I did have a problem there is a whole slew of aftermarket for the axle to beef it further.

What is the front half from? HPI? if so I believe you can exchange ring and pinions to match if using WK or Axial axles.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
In reguards to will the the TLT axle be strong enough? In my experence under very similar usage, no. With a 5000KV motor on 6 cells I got maybe 8 good runs. On 11.1 lipo I got one run, I carefully shimed them to. The ring and pinions just can't take the load. Don't waste your money on upgrading the TLT components. Go to a Axial axle available at most places for under $40. The Axial axle is far more burly as far as gear train goes and you can buy the nessisary gear to make the axle have a open diff. I've been beating the heck out of my trophy truck 3c lipo with 5000kv motor all season never once had a issue. Even if I did have a problem there is a whole slew of aftermarket for the axle to beef it further.

What is the front half from? HPI? if so I believe you can exchange ring and pinions to match if using WK or Axial axles.
Great info and thanks! ill look into the axle axle I also didn't think the tlt axle would take the abuse of a BL.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:30 AM   #15

little more work done on this, I should of thought of this before I cut the back LOL
Old 09-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #16
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by its-me View Post
little more work done on this, I should of thought of this before I cut the back LOL
What size brushless motor is that? Mnster is right, there is no way a TLT will hold up to that kind of power on 3S lipo. I find it a little hard to believe that an Axial will hold up either, but Mnster makes a good point that those parts are much more readily available then TLT parts. A twin force axle would be best for this project. Guaranteed you won't break that.

Again, very cool truck and it's coming along nicely.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
What size brushless motor is that? Mnster is right, there is no way a TLT will hold up to that kind of power on 3S lipo. I find it a little hard to believe that an Axial will hold up either, but Mnster makes a good point that those parts are much more readily available then TLT parts. A twin force axle would be best for this project. Guaranteed you won't break that.

Again, very cool truck and it's coming along nicely.
Sorry lol forgot to mention that the motor was just for mock up, its a XL from my emaxx. Im planning to use a L can, maybe a 10L..
Old 10-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #18

Wow. Looking good.

BTW, I use Montana Gold for my loads too. I use it mainly in .223 and .45. They make some good stuff.
SeaBassHWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #19

Thanks alot man
Old 10-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Can't wait to see a video of this bad boy.
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote