Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My New Crawler (lots-o-pix)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

hey, that looks awesome. do you think that you could make up a scale template for me? im interested in making a chassis just like that.

thanks
harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I really don't know how I would do thot on the comp :?
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

The big brown truck came today.

Got some parts to start another TLT

Here's the axles, I know y'all don't like chrome but It's my truck

I like my toys to look as trick as it performs If you like dull & plain that's just

fine w/ me. Ruff & rugged looks cool too.

Well gonna bust out the Dremmel on them anyway

Last edited by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE; 08-11-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

It's all smooth now

Ready for the guts now
Old 08-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

this thread has inspired me to make a new chassis for my rig. thanks bro.
i have an idea for the tranny mounting plate and stuff, but i need to know how i should make my shock mounts. do yours flex alot??
my idea is to bolt the tranny to a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum and then screw the "shock towers/body mounts" into the sides of it using screws and tapped holes.

thanks
harris
Old 08-12-2005, 12:59 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Harris- Glad it is inspiring you, this site has given me lots of ideas & inspiration too.

The first chassis I made ^^^

started out like this, only out of diamond plate. top is 7",bottom 4", & 3" high ^^^ too big

as for the trans plate/mount this is it. 2 1/4" long, 2 7/16" wide, 1/2" on sides^^^

the chassis has been considerably chopped up. my shock mounts don't twist or move
gonna make a new chassis w/ those pieces. I've seen some awsome new designs
and may try to emulate some of them. Also got a stealth tranny & a traxxas tranny
of some sort. It's like a pede tranny but it uses an alum. motor plate & doesn't
have those a-arm mounts. It come out of a stadium truck? Don't know the name.
Thinking of using the AE. It's a little smaller.
That's all for now, forgot to get scews to hold it all together

Last edited by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE; 08-12-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:35 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

wow! thanks dude! i dont have a digi camera or i would show you my ideas. i am going to do the same sort of thing except instead of using a bent aluminum plate i will use solid 1/4 in aluminum for the tranny mounting. then i will hang the side plates off of that. to hang the plates i will tap some 3 or 4 mm holes into the sides of the tranny mounting plate, and then use some red threadlock or something. it seems like it will work. and if not, then i will try to bend some aluminum up and go your way. how is torque roll with the shocks set up like that? what links are you using. i was gunna use some black steel revo pushrods for the back and some tmaxx links for the front to offset the chassis foreward a bit.

thanks
harris
Old 08-12-2005, 09:58 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

It sounds like your idea is a good one. you might want to think about some lightening holes & a lexan skid plate that wraps around the sides to the mounting holes. It"ll save some weight & the lexan will slide better than the alumn.

Went to LHS & got some parts. Links will be traxxas 116mm turnbuckles(p#5139) & a T-MAXX SS screw kit. Hope it has what I need

Here's some pix of the trannys.
Left is AE steath, center is a Traxxas stadium truck, right is a Pede

AE is the smallest & lightest. I like that
Old 08-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

hmmm, maybe i will use some .50 lexan or something and make a skid for it. what i dont understand is why everyone thinks that lighter is better? wouldn't heavy be fine as long as it was low down? like on the axles or how my chassis will be?
hey, what is the measurements of your chassis side plates at the point that they attach to the tranny mounting plate?

thanks
harris
Old 08-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

heavy = harder falls, more stress on the rig (links and stuff), less runtime.

colin
Maxx4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

hey DISTURBIN' tha PEACE the tranny i the middle is the same one that i got in my truck what is the name of that truck it came out of
silviajspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 12:13 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviajspec
hey DISTURBIN' tha PEACE the tranny i the middle is the same one that i got in my truck what is the name of that truck it came out of

IDK?? My friend I got it from thought it was a losi. lol but it isn't. the internals were the same as my pede so I knew it was a traxxas just don't know which one.

Weight up high=bad. look at the stick chassis for example almost no weight up high, it performs very well

I'm trying to make this rig as light as possible & control the weight placement w/ wheel weights on the inner rim to keep it low.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:41 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

nice job on the crawler. i like you rock course too, hows the tracktion? i got a moss rock course(ok when dry ). how big you gonna make the new crawler?
oh by the whay are the r/c drift guys still meeting at the iwalei costo parking lot on tusday nights?

Last edited by dorji; 08-13-2005 at 02:50 AM.
dorji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:36 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

The traction is ok but I want some moabs :-P

New crawler should be between 12"-12.5"

Every tues. @ costco 9:00 pm. Just had a comp this past tues. Lost in the finals to Josh. He's GOOD , took him to 4 rounds though. Then I spun out

Did you get your chassis yet?

Also, if any of you guys are running super blackfoot stub axles, did you have to grind the drive cup side down for clearence when turning? Mine will hit the axle shaft before full lock.

Thanx
Old 08-13-2005, 12:55 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

the tranny in the middle is from the old traxxas srt racing truck. it is basically a lighter version of the 292 magnum tranny that comes in the bandit, pede, and rustler. it also has no arm mounts and has an aluminum plate. but you probably noticed that. i would go with the losi since you are going for light weight and low cg. the losi has really good gears in it but it will be a little hard to attach sliders on there.

harris
Old 08-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

this is the trans I will be using.

AE stealh trans & AXI outrunner BL motor VERY light
Old 08-13-2005, 11:28 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

wow, you're going all out on this arent you? are you gunna be competing in a comp nearby or are you just doing this to prove that you can?
what tires will you be using? are you gunna use a smallish body or a maxx size bod?

if you havent decided on tires yet, you may want to try some proline m3 racing rubber on some 2wd buggy rear wheels. then if you put some uber narrowed m2k foams that would give you a narrow, hella sticky tire with excellent traction.

just a thought
harris

btw, do you think 1/8 inch aluminum will be enough for the side plates on my one off crawler, or should i use 3/16?
Old 08-14-2005, 01:19 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Yeah this one is pretty serious There's no comps out here yet, let alone anyone I go crawlig with on any regular basis. Just tring to biuld a very capable crawler.
May try to produce some later.(can't believe I just said that, WAY ahead of my self) I know a guy who owns a machine shop & he's very good. If any of you golf, you might of seen some billet T's w/ o-rings where the ball rests on it, well, he owns the patent on it. He doesn't even buy all of his machines either, he builds them. Once we built a mini-MX track & he lent us a dozer/back-hoe that he built from scratch. Everything was hydraulic including the drive tracs. ran off of a honda water pump modded to pump oil. Back on subject. I want to make some........ah I better not say yet....I'll tell ya if I do have them made Sorry classified info right now......LOL.

1/8" is thick enough just cross brace a litle

Anyways, it'll have moabs on narrowed 3-piece AE rims w/ Rckjeeps rock rings, not sure of a body yet, I have a NIP HPI jeep rubicon but it looks big, IDK yet. Maybe a stadiun truck body w/ the back cut-off after the shocks kinda like my other one.

Still need to grind those super blackfoot axles down. Didn't do nothing today 'cept fix the pede trans. Had a stripped idler gear. Now 420 ver 1.3 is back put the lathe & SR back in but did'nt test it yet. Believe it or not I have yet to use the lathe in the new chassis, only the BL. So I'll see how it goes tomorrow at the supercross track, going riding

Oh yeah!

Last edited by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE; 08-14-2005 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:32 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

hey nice picture.
i got my chassis in, but with the hight i want i have a little bit of binding before the suspension flexes. so i am trying a light spring rate and 20,000 wt oil right now, but i think i am going to try pulling the shock shaft and just run the spring.
any way i am going to go try it out at makapu'u tomarrow. i'll try and make a video.
well nice job on the build
dorji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:50 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE
Yeah this one is pretty serious There's no comps out here yet, let alone anyone I go crawlig with on any regular basis. Just tring to biuld a very capable crawler.
i have the same problem. at least i have a friend in the area who also crawls. the only problem is that he has a maxx crawler and i have my tlt. so i am trying to get my car as good of a preformer as possible so that things are a bit more even.

harris