Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Comp Style Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 05:24 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

rather than drill thru the pinion shaft, i just cut down a button-head screw and let it bottom against the shaft. my motor twisted it off anyway, but it would have snapped a lot sooner if the shaft had been drilled. looks like you got the idea. chassis looks good so far.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Talking Trany Mounts

microgoat- Thanx for all your help

tru- Maybe we can have a comp an labor day? @ weeks should be e'nuff time to finish this crawler & get a few runs in @ the beach(for testing of course)LOL. Cuz this weekend is the iSHOWOFF & drift comp & next week sat. is USC vs UH & sun. is labor day MX races, that leaves mon. open. Might be crowded though...........more spectators

OK- Fabbed the trans mounts & put it all together......here it is

Also mounted the body

Just gotta clean up the trans mounts w/ a file & lock the diff & paint the body.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:35 PM   #23

dude, i dig it!!!
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:38 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

that chassis looks beefy and lightweight at the same time; neat trick. how much does it weigh?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

The chassis, cross braces, body mounts, everything in this pic weighs just 3oz
Old 08-24-2005, 01:30 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

oooooooooooo lets have a comp in Hawaii its first ever comp i was just talking to Dave about this there is a lot of guys in Hawaii with crcawlers i know cuzed i was in the store for the whole day putting together the car, hoooooooooo lets go make a comp i will go ask dave if he can go tell his friends that we mite have one or maybe a get together
silviajspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:20 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Looks great!

You should try to orient the chassis forward- like 70/30 ror 60/40. This has made a hige difference with the TLT's we compete with...

Nice work!

rYan
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:04 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

rbgerrish-thanx, maybe I'll try that on the next chassis. This one is already set-up for 50/50.

....got the Jeep painted yesterday. All thats left is some stickering

will get pics as soon as I'm done, working on the drift car right now...import showoff this weekend. Drift comp & best body contest. So I gotta get my new skyline ready.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:46 PM   #29
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

That is a sweet looking rig. The only thing I don't like is the link mounting on the axles. You have almost no triangulation and it seems like you skimped there. If you can make a chassis, why don't you take a little more time to make better upper link mounts?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:37 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
That is a sweet looking rig. The only thing I don't like is the link mounting on the axles. You have almost no triangulation and it seems like you skimped there. If you can make a chassis, why don't you take a little more time to make better upper link mounts?
The upper links don't triangulate with this setup. The lower ones triangulate, and they can't really triangulate any more than that. (the link ends at the chassis are almost maxed out... atleast with mine they are.

Anyway, how is the setup working for you? Any breakage? I'm still worried about stripping right at where the post screws in.

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 08-25-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:26 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Talking Painted

Well, so far I have only tested twice. Frist time it was here @ the beach. It had the other traxxas trans that I had & lathe/SR, just to run it. I thought it did well for it's first time out. Only issue I had was that the shafts(pede) kept falling off. One wasn't long enough(both actually) & the other popped off at the u-joint/ball thing. Second time was in my yard to test maxx shafts(much longer) & BL/mamba set-up. No more issues.

As far as the link set-up goes, I think it is pretty strong. I can see where there is alot of leverage on the axle where the mounts screw in. But, I think it is pretty well braced. The screws for both the links & the stand-off extend about 3/8" into the axle & the stand-off is 3/8" brake line about 3/4" long. The stock link mount connects them & even though it's kinda thin, the bends on it also keep it from bending or twisting. Think of channel iron............if I have problems you will know.....hopefully not

OK...on to the pics

Painted them yesterday & sticker'd them today.......

.........need some rccrawler stickers & rock rings

Last edited by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE; 08-26-2005 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:27 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

That is awesome dude! i wish that i could get mine too look that nice. I am having problems with the tranny mounting/skid plate.

good luck with that rig
harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #33
Im Brandon

Nice drifter too ;)
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #34
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

thats slick man. looks like a right killer setup! what batts are you gonna use? that motor is small enough that some cheap lipo's will push it. now THAT would be one light rig! then you would need to put helium in the tires and shave the bolt heads down to get that last ounce off. you know that taking one gram off in 28 places will give you an ounce...
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
then you would need to put helium in the tires and shave the bolt heads down to get that last ounce off. you know that taking one gram off in 28 places will give you an ounce...
You are CRAZY! lol. i think that he should add a bunch of stick on lead weights onto the wheels and add about 1/2 a pound to the rig. it would climb like crazy then.
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:46 PM   #36
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

if you need a better weight bias or lower cg, carefully added weight is great. if its built right in the first place you wont need it. shave high and pack in low.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:44 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Talking Crawling

Well, took it out crawling this past friday. Only managed to get 2 pics of my Jeep...

Too busy having fun I guess........LOL

First one is a ledge of coral rock not quite vertical but kinda close, it's about 13-14" tall. Made it up, no problem.
Second, is the first part of a section that goes staight up, then right, up, then left, up & up....some probs...very technical......made it clean the first time, then had a little trouble doing it clean again....LOL..it was fun though

A few issues did arise, first the PRP axle braces, I guess they work axles didn't break, but they did get hung-up quite often. I may remove the bottom halves of them. That should solve that. Next those damn ofna servo arms w/the adapter things just strip & skip splines whenever the servo turns & the wheel has some resistance. Back to the hi-tech plastic ones.....at least they don't skip splines. Then the maxx yokes kept comming of the axle. Can't seem to secure them down tight enough the way I had them so I tried Bender's way, as outlined in his shaggin wagon thread. Maybe I Just gotta drill the pinion shafts.

Other than all that, it was still a blast
Old 09-05-2005, 09:27 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

how'd that outrunner work for ya?
Old 09-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

cool build! real bling, but nice clean and simple. I have the same problem with the servo arms. I use the plastic ones, just got done looking at the alum ones on ebay, i saw the plastic adapters and figured i would just end up with the same problem.
Warn Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Talking I jumped the BIG triple yesterday (95').....YEAH

microgoat-The BL is working very well, I think it's a VERY good alternative to the usual lathe motor, although that's not too shabby. The lathe has just a little more feeling @ the trigger, but the little BL has way more torque & w/ the mamba-25 it's sooo much lighter. Both can handle 12v so there's enough power. But you can program the mamba-25 w/ your computer & the SR can't. Never though I would be able to plug my RC in to my comp & DL programs in to it.LOL It is the future

warn off road-thanx I just took them off. Too bad cuz I liked the blue anodized ones, but I like steering more I know ALOT of ppl don't like the bling, but it is NOT a shelf queen by any strech of imagination. It crawls, it falls, it breaks, it even goes in the ocean(jus a little).....LOL

Chrome Dome ain't scared of NUTHIN