Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Trials Truck project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default My Trials Truck project

Well, I had this on road tamiya car (that closely resembles the F150/ Touareg chassis), and after watching the trials truck videos from germany and wanting a more challenging truck to drive, I've decided to build a scale Trials Semi. Now when I say scale, it means small and as realistic as I want to go before sacrificing all performance, so servos won't be tucked away and some other things might not be "perfect", but it should be a fun off project for me.

Anyway, here are the axles and the driveshaft, which will be most likely lengthened a few inches and for sure reinforced wit some stronger tubing on the outside. I need to get another hub carrier for steering since the original is broken. And I plan to change it so the motor gear box steers (motor weight up front) and the smaller axle is just straight. I thought it was going to be as easy as swapping the suspension arms, but sadly it is not.

The tires are going to be the 2.2 proline dirt hawg buggy tires cut like shown. This'll be a slow project, so don't expect updates every day with new parts and fandangled accessories
Attached Images

Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2005, 11:37 AM   #2

Well good luck!What r u gona use as a chassis
69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

WTF? Another project?

You are on restriction from building ANYTHING until you make your TLT worth competing with!

Don't make me come back out to CO!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

For the chassis I wanted to build a frame using box channel metal, or I might tuber it since I've been wanting to do that for forever. I even bought a torch and haven't used it yet.

I'll be ordering batteries for my TLT and I bought driveshafts yesterday. But walmart didn't have any 5 minute epoxy so I didn't build the extended drive shafts. Besides this project is being built out of my parts box, so I don't have to buy anything except material for the chassis.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

PWT, I have an old chassis sitting around just about like that, the only difference is that my arms are longer and its off of some tamiya buggy. I bought it as a Dirt Thrasher from some kid, but i got it, and it was more along the lines of a Manta Ray chassis. Even had the CF upper/lower plates. Just sits there though, needs a few tranny idler gears and shafts and whatnot, but otherwise its all but exactly the same as yours. /end pointless post...
Zapper2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:11 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

hey, that stuff looks somewhat framilar. hmmm, i dunno why that is....

good to see all my old junk is going to good use. hehehehe

i still need to work on my tsc. to busy working on my quad and my buddies quad right now though. gotta get them done for labor day weekend so we can rip up the sand with some new found hp.

Chris
jakhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Arnt the tao1s based on the manta ray?? Never thought I would see anothe rone again lol
Have fun.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Looks good so far. I plan on making a trials truck out of a TT01
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:15 PM   #9

that almost looks like my tb-02 onroad car
i dont want to copy but now i want to do that to mine
looks good so far any more pics ?
tltnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ummm.... if by pics you mean pics of a very cracked up plastic pile.... I started taking the axles apart and there are alot more broken parts than I had anticipated, not to mention switching steering to the rear axle is proving alot tougher than I thought... Project is taking a small hiatus. I have 3 job interviews in the next two days, so we'll see how much bank I'll be pulling in before I move further.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:44 PM   #11

i hate when you get exited about somthin and then i dosent work like my rock crawler chassis i made it was perfrect the when i put the tranny in the drive shafts were on such an angle they didnt turn so i made my tuber but good luck hope it works out
Old 08-29-2005, 11:52 PM   #12

is this the car http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...=24085&id=4487
Old 08-30-2005, 07:08 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

It was similar but had a plastic tub chassis.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:46 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

any progress?
mesaAZclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I think it died in the birth canal. I've been messing with my old tao3 but its close to being in the same shape as PWTs o1 The older tamiya plastics just dont hold up over time. Mine I think is due to it living in a unheated studio for 3 winters. >_>
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 09:16 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I wouldnt mind knowing what happened to that truck. Would love to see what progress you have made. (Also need an idea for a new truck - LMAO!)
Knytemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 09:47 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

FYI the ToeRag has a solid rear axle.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Yeah the truck didn't get off the ground since quite a few parts are cracked. It was supposed to be a $10 truck, just some metal and some figuring. I don't want to replace all the parts. I do have another truck project going that is unrelated to these axels, we'll see just how well this one pans out though.

Oh, and its the pajero that has the solid rear axle.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:02 PM   #19
sim
Quarry Creeper

Are the cracks really bad? Maybe you can superglue them back or fill them in with superglue + talcum powder (mix equal parts and work FAST) and file back into shape. It's about as tough as the original brittle plastic but that's not very tough :neutral: at all.

As for rear steering.... if you can find an old plastic kitchen cutting board of the right width, you can cut it into the shape of the lower arms that you need to fit the rear gearbox and from c-hub. But the stock c-hubs do look very thin and brittle, so maybe you can just salvage some c-hubs and steering knuckles from another broken car (a touring car, maybe) before you decide on the lower arms.

Oh and microgoat was right. The Touareg is the Pajero chassis with a new skin. Solid rear axle.

Last edited by sim; 09-11-2005 at 10:07 PM.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:29 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

they made a hundred diferent kits with that chassy the most known is the f-150 \ s-10 \ toyota prerunner.You can still buy the f 150 from towerhobbies.I built a crawler using the other chassy they make millions of but went through gears.Dont know why in car form it would hold 10t and 12t mod motors all day long but as soon as I put gd600 and all ts it let go.
one2crawl is offline   Reply With Quote