Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Looking to Fabricate Custom Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #1

Default Looking to Fabricate Custom Crawler

Ok hears the deal. I bought a Nylint jeep crawler from a guy at my work and couple months back and i fell in love with the thing. I know this is not as complex as the crawler you all build but i didn't have a clue people crawl with RC's until he told me. Well the other day something eletrical went wrong with the Nylint and its dead. So now i'm looking to build my own. I'm a machinist and have access to CNC mills, lathes, and water jets and all the works, so i'm guessing i'll have a slight advantage. I'm looking to build a 2.2 scale, i'm going to cut out my own chasis on the water jet and use other machines i can to my benefit. I just have a few questions, i know i want to use TLT axles i just need some idea on a motor and tranny combo. I'm not looking to compete just something to fool around with so nothing to extreme. What height are the tires for the 2.2 scale, in inches.....somthing like 5 inches? Also do anyone know where i can get a chevrolet truck body for the crawler, i want to wheels to fit in the wheel wells of the truck, i'l trim the body if neccesary. Sorry for the long post.
jwc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i'm assuming that you have a good cad program such as autocad. The drawing program helps out tons when designing your chassis and lots of other things. Especially on the waterjet. I know on the waterjet I use its as easy as drawing it on autocad, converting it to the waterjet program. drawing a few connecting lines and wiggle points. Boom. you got some chassis plates. that water jet will save you lots of money to. You want have to buy chassis plates or 4 link plates, skid plates, may even be able to make some cool ass beadlocks. You are fixin to have a good time with this hobby!
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #3

Yep we use something exactly like autocad. I'm in my last year of college and i work on at Cherry Point Air Station in NC in the morning and finish up classes at college during the night. And i have alot of free time at school, i made a bunch of stuff for my Nylint. But yea i'm looking forward to starting. Desinging the chasis will take longer than cutting out the chasis. A water jet is an awesome machine.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:13 AM   #4
Nor-CalRCRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc123 View Post
Ok hears the deal. I bought a Nylint jeep crawler from a guy at my work and couple months back and i fell in love with the thing. I know this is not as complex as the crawler you all build but i didn't have a clue people crawl with RC's until he told me. Well the other day something eletrical went wrong with the Nylint and its dead. So now i'm looking to build my own. I'm a machinist and have access to CNC mills, lathes, and water jets and all the works, so i'm guessing i'll have a slight advantage. I'm looking to build a 2.2 scale, i'm going to cut out my own chasis on the water jet and use other machines i can to my benefit. I just have a few questions, i know i want to use TLT axles i just need some idea on a motor and tranny combo. I'm not looking to compete just something to fool around with so nothing to extreme. What height are the tires for the 2.2 scale, in inches.....somthing like 5 inches? Also do anyone know where i can get a chevrolet truck body for the crawler, i want to wheels to fit in the wheel wells of the truck, i'l trim the body if neccesary. Sorry for the long post.
Most likely you will need to run 1.9's if you want your tires to tuck inside the wheelwells on a Chevy body.

Here is a link of where you can get several different Chevy bodies.
http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/category.sc?categoryId=102

Generally 1.9's don't come any bigger than 4.25" and 2.2's don't come any smaller than 4.75".

There are a few options if you want to stay with 2.2's and need a smaller tire though.
This is one option.
http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...&productId=342

You can also narrow tires by using this method.
Reducing 2.2 Moabs to 1.9

If you spend a lot of time searching through the scale sections you will get somewhat of an idea how different tires fit different bodies.

Hope this helps.
montereycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #5

Thanks i'll check that out. Still looking somewhere to get a good motor and tranny combo. I just want the wheel to be centered in the wheel wells. Ill just lift the body high if i have to because i want it to articulate a good bit to.